Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times

Advertisements

I will never have a discussion about race relations with anyone. Despite what people seem to think, it is NOT a conversation that I need to have.
I don't care about writing on cups, they just end up in the garbage can anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This thread just ensured that Starbucks has permanently lost my business. I don't go to Starbucks for moral sermons about race relations, I go there for coffee. Since moral sermonizing about race is now included with my coffee, I'll take my coffee consumption business elsewhere.
You actually like their coffee?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is absurd.
I remember when food stamps had to be used for essential nutritional food, not junk food, alcohol, or other frivolous stuff.
In theory anyone needing food stamps must keep a tight rein on the family budget to make sure everyone is fed, clothed, with the power on. If someone is irresponsible enough to be throwing away $5 with their food stamps on one cup of coffee, instead of buying an entire bag of coffee(= how many cups?), they should have them reduced or taken away.
I agree -- it is absurd that food stamps can be used like this. Don't blame the poor though. They aren't the ones who lobbied for this change. The fast food industry did. SNAP doesn't exist because poor people have so much political power and clot that they demand to be fed for free... it exists because the food industry demands to be subsidized by the government.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,348,865 times
Just when I think liberals can't get anymore stupid and obnoxious, they come along and prove me wrong. Just what I need, a lecture about how guilty I should feel for being white when all I want is a cup of coffee.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:26 AM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I feel bad for the Baristas for being expected to carry out this hair brained idea.

"Starbucks is in hot water after launching a campaign that encourages baristas to talk about race relations with customers."

If they want to support better relations (which I believe begins with each individuals decision to do so) fine but asking employees to be social outreachers while conducting business is a misguided idea.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 AM

16,401 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree -- it is absurd that food stamps can be used like this. Don't blame the poor though. They aren't the ones who lobbied for this change. The fast food industry did. SNAP doesn't exist because poor people have so much political power and clot that they demand to be fed for free... it exists because the food industry demands to be subsidized by the government.
I agree with you about the lobbyists. However I blame the recipients if they are careless with what is given to them.
I like most people starting out lived on a budget just to get by month after month. While never having taken a government handout like food stamps, I had limited funds from my jobs, so I could not splurge. If I did, it was to take a girl out to a movie or cheap dinner. If I were a coffee lover, I'd take that $5 bucks and buy a weeks worth of coffee made at home, not drop it on one cup. Same with beer in that I'd buy a 12 pack for the price of two beers at a bar.
The point being that poor people who are being given money from taxpayers, and who will never pay it back, should also be expected to be frugal.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
If generations of breeding, upbringing, parental guidance, life experiences, and human decency can't change a bigot into a civilized person who respects people of different races, this certainly won't do the trick.

But at least, it raises awareness of the biggest problem plaguing this country...race relations.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 AM

6,546 posts, read 6,703,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
If generations of breeding, upbringing, parental guidance, life experiences, and human decency can't change a bigot into a civilized person who respects people of different races, this certainly won't do the trick.

But at least, it raises awareness of the biggest problem plaguing this country...race relations.
Um....no. race relations is YOUR obsession. Most of us get along just fine & believe it or not we go weeks & months on end not dwelling on it at all until an idiot like the CEO if Starbucks makes an international laughingstock of himself & his company.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 AM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Yeah, some like to provoke instead of letting it just fade away into the past.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:42 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
You have to understand where this mentality comes from. This is pure Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies