Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

What I find hilarious is all of you discussing what is in the proposed budget and NONE of you have read it.

You ALL are just making comments based on what an article says.

Reuters is NOT un-biased.

The headline alone should tell you something: U.S. Republican budget cuts social spending, boosts military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM

191 posts, read 171,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I find hilarious is all of you discussing what is in the proposed budget and NONE of you have read it.

The headline alone should tell you something: U.S. Republican budget cuts social spending, boosts military
The stuff in the Republican House Budget has been floating around for the past several years. Most of the 5.5 trillion dollars saving come from gutting Medicaid, getting rid of the ACA and further cuts to Medicare. That gets you to $3.05 trillion. They have another $1.064 trillion they don't really specify except its cuts to Snap, EIC, education, etc. The key piece is getting rid of the ACA and keeping the tax increases. That's 2 trillion. There is another $500 billion cut in mandatory spending but they don't get specific. The whole thing is pretty vague where the cuts are coming from except healthcare. For the 30 million that lose healthcare...now you can choose your own doctor.

http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fy16budget.pdf

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Americans can't afford single payer.
They're whining now about the 6% FICA...raise it up to 14% and then see what happens.
And I'm not even broaching the employer side of this.

Vermont was gun ho about Single Payer until it came time to announce how much would be taken from people's paychecks and they scrapped the entire thing. Seems they couldn't find "someone else" to pay for it.
"Someone else" sure enjoyed the benefit of having a healthy and educated workforce, and infrastructure that enabled them to make their money.

Seems like it would not only be fair to take care of the people that enabled them to get wealthy, it SEEMS like it would make sense to invest in the most important resource out there: People.

Why do Republicans insist on paying multiple times MORE for a system that is significantly less effective in very objective terms? Could it be because they put party ahead of nation?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Americans can't afford single payer.
They're whining now about the 6% FICA...raise it up to 14% and then see what happens.
And I'm not even broaching the employer side of this.

Vermont was gun ho about Single Payer until it came time to announce how much would be taken from people's paychecks and they scrapped the entire thing. Seems they couldn't find "someone else" to pay for it.
Americans already pay for single payer, and then some.

The USA already spends more in public dollars in health care per capita than many of the socialized Western European nations. The individual American then pays for it all over again out of pocket/with their insurance.

It'd take a combination of purging the fat from existing programs and cutting/controlling the wastes (i.e. pills and medical devises), but it's doable.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I
And I think the GOP cuts their own throat by proposing a Medicare voucher program, which can only alienate a large chunk of their base.
I could only rep you once for all your comments but to this point, I think it's hilarious.

These old people the GOP managed to corral to protest Obamacare are getting it thrown back in their face by their own party leaders. I love it so much.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 PM

174 posts, read 125,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Well, if we keep convincing them that they will never see those benefits and using words like "Ponzi scheme", "those younger than" us may just vote away that obligation.
The good thing for the self centered young folk is that with the ACA, if they can keep it in place, there will be a panel who decides who lives and dies and they will be able to let all the old folks die.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Im the OP, I actually reviewed several news sites and their take on it. I reviewed the actual numbers as well.

Feel free to point out whats WRONG rather then trying to claim that just because people have not read every page of it that their opinions on it are wrong.

ACA must be great as most likely none of the posters who post about it have read every page.......right?

Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
The stuff in the Republican House Budget has been floating around for the past several years. Most of the 5.5 trillion dollars saving come from gutting Medicaid, getting rid of the ACA and further cuts to Medicare. That gets you to $3.05 trillion. They have another $1.064 trillion they don't really specify except its cuts to Snap, EIC, education, etc. The key piece is getting rid of the ACA and keeping the tax increases. That's 2 trillion. There is another $500 billion cut in mandatory spending but they don't get specific. The whole thing is pretty vague where the cuts are coming from except healthcare. For the 30 million that lose healthcare...now you can choose your own doctor.

"Gutting Medicaid" is a good thing. That mess should be at State level and below...never Federal.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
"Gutting Medicaid" is a good thing. That mess should be at State level and below...never Federal.
I have no problem with Medicaid going away as long as seniors understand that a major percentage of Medicaid is being used by seniors who are also getting Medicare. They are getting BOTH.

"While Medicaid was created mostly to provide medical care to low-income moms and their kids, two out of every three Medicaid dollars is spent on the elderly and disabled. Last year, the program spent one-third of its budget — more than $100 billion federal dollars — on long-term care, either in nursing facilities or in the community. States, which share the program’s cost, spent tens of billions more."

What Medicaid Cuts Will Mean For Seniors And Others With Disabilities (Guest Opinion) | Kaiser Health News

Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post

First the ONLY site included was NOT the actual propopsal.

Since you read the ACTUAL proposal I guess you read this which is bit different them what you say:

"
For all of these reasons, our budget presents a plan to save, strengthen, and secure Medicare for
today’s seniors and tomorrow’s retirees. First and foremost, we put an end to the Obamacare raid of the Medicare Trust Fund.
We provide future seniors with a premium support model that will
enable beneficiaries to choose from a range of coverage options, including traditional fee-for-service Medicare. As before, our plan makes no changes to those in or near retirement."

What I REALLY find funny is all those complaining about vouchers have NO PROBLEM with subsidies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies