Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So to more directly answer your question, the only reason they still have their jobs and making money is government welfare.

Actually they made money shorting the market. If the government had let it crash they would have made more money. The few individuals who made the billions did so in just a few transactions.

I'm not a fan of bankers. They are somewhere between pond scum and lawyers in my ranking. But nobody forces you to borrow money. Except politicians.

And you still haven't addressed the salaries and perks of the big union bosses. The fact that a few hedge managers made billions doesn't mean Union bosses don't make hefty salaries. That was the original context of my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Actually they made money shorting the market. If the government had let it crash they would have made more money. The few individuals who made the billions did so in just a few transactions.

I'm not a fan of bankers. They are somewhere between pond scum and lawyers in my ranking. But nobody forces you to borrow money. Except politicians.

And you still haven't addressed the salaries and perks of the big union bosses. The fact that a few hedge managers made billions doesn't mean Union bosses don't make hefty salaries. That was the original context of my post.
In 2012:

The Top 100 union executives made $52M TOTAL in 2012, or $500K on avg.

The average salary + bonus for a fortune 500 CEO was $3.5M.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Globalization folks. We're going to end up with a 2 class system..the "middle class" and the rich.
And I use "middle class" in quotes because that term is propaganda to make you feel good about your financial standing..that you've made it in America.

You realize that people on welfare are also middle class. They are the "struggling middle class".

Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
In 2012:

The Top 100 union executives made $52M TOTAL in 2012, or $500K on avg.

The average salary + bonus for a fortune 500 CEO was $3.5M.

What's the distribution and standard deviation? The heads of the big unions make hefty salaries. The heads of the big F500 do also. Regardless, you are ok with union bosses making millions?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

The big problem wasn't borrowing money. The borrowing mess was simply a necessary evil to the banks.

Quote:
I'm not the one that mentioned the union bosses.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 PM

If Bill Gates sat down for lunch with 499 homeless street guys they are all with $125 million on average....

Old 03-20-2015, 02:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
What's the distribution and standard deviation? The heads of the big unions make hefty salaries. The heads of the big F500 do also. Regardless, you are ok with union bosses making millions?
The only ones making millions are the execs at the hollywood & pro athlete unions, so yes, I'm fine with those guys making millions since the people they look out for have the chance to make much more that.

And for the amount of work that union bosses do, the size of their organizations, and the alternative of what workers would get w/o a unionized force -- yes I'm okay with what they get paid.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:01 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:

Politicians do not DO ANYTHING unless there is something in it for them.

It goes something like this:

Politician Joe from ACME Corp talks to a Lobbyist Bob from ACME Corp
How can I help you Bob?

I have this legislation I would like you to pass that we have written up.
Here is 2 million dollars for the trouble

No problem Bob, I'll fight to get it passed among other politicians and keep the seat warm for me at ACME Corp

Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
ContrarianEcon"They got our jobs they should get our pay too."

The "our" before jobs would be "employer's". Employers own the jobs; employees simply fill them during their tenure, but when they leave for any reason, the job continues..as it is the employer's job.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
A lot more money and that would translate into a lot more consumption and that is what the world needs.
You don't get it. Those $1 a day workers aren't buying what we are making. But they are making what we are buying. You want to be able to start and maintain a business? Then that needs to be fixed.
It isn't the minimum wage driving up the cost of good it is regulations as you showed. The middles income isn't keeping up because of the over supply of labor. Labor is over supplied because it is under paid. Pay the workers more and they use more stuff.
Only they have protectionist regimes who wouldn't allow for a parity of goods to flow in. You'd also increase the cost of a simple product several times over (assuming production cost is 50% labor that would make a $1 item cost $5.50) which would be more then a market could probably bear for a simple $1 widget, thus dis-empowering the poorest to own said widget.

Middle income is hedged out when the people who are making low-wage in low-jobs suddenly get a fiscal boon that affects only them. Upper wage tiers are set already, but true middle income families who actually need to budget are going to be dragged down. As I told people at work, would you stay in your job in Health Care if you made a few dollars less an hour but had 1/100th the responsibility and no crummy hours while getting $15/hr flipping burgers and subsidized insurance? I'd leave the job and head home to spend time with my kid knowing that I can get a cushy job being a janitor and being home every weekend and when my daughter comes home instead of being gone 14 hour days. As an added bonus I don't need to keep up with CE credits, no maintaining license, no dues, and no liability insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies