Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You are born a sociopath. For sociopath kids there is no hope.
I do believe this to be accurate. There are people who are beyond reform, at least with today's puny resources. There are things that are just plain screwed up in some people's heads. Since we function as a society, the system in place does it's best to protect the public from unnecessary hazards like murders with a proven track record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:26 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
That's because what constitutes as a kid and as an adult is actually pretty tricky. From a legal stand point, 18+ is an adult (in some states 16 or 17, but lets just focus on 18).

See, you can join the army at 18. This is an adult thing. But at the same time, many adults would still consider someone as young as 21 a kid. They may be legally an adult, but their still too young and naive to really be an adult.

Then what is considered a kid is tricky as well. Obviously, you're a minor until you're an adult. But if a minor commits a crime, sometimes the rules change depending on the crime. I recently read an article about an 10 year old who was convicted of a sex crime for touching an 8 year old (his sister specifically) and was placed on the sex offender registry. That's insane. And we've all heard stories of kids who killed someone and were tried as adults. That's objectively less insane, but is it fair?

And frankly, I don't have an answer. I'm actually in favor of complicated the system. 12 and under is a child, 13-17 is a minor, 18-25 is a young adult, and 26+ is a legal adult.

Why? It factors in experience. A 20 year old may be an adult, and they may be ready to handle more responsibly, but let's not pretend they're fully capable. I'm 20, and I can tell you, I'm lost all the time. I'm fairly reasonable, but I make silly mistakes that I think someone only 5 years older than me would never make. And scientifically speaking, the brain isn't done developing until the age of 26 anyway.

But maturity can't be measured in just a number. Some people are more mature for their age, some are not. There are without a doubt 15 years olds who are more capable of making adult decisions than 24 year olds.

It's tricky business.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
16 year olds that have a rap sheet of violence, should be tried as adults in the case of murder.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, In criminal trials, the insanity defense is the claim that the defendant is not responsible for his or her actions during a mental health episode .

can always try that.
The injustice system is jacked up on both counts. The way the system works reminds me of the way the pirate code in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' worked. In 'Pirates', the Pirate Code' was thought to be hardfast rules governing the conduct of Pirates. But when push came to shove and the rigidity of the code was tested, the code was found to just be - "guidelines"

I too have been disgusted for a very long time about how prosecutors can just nilly willy decide to charge someone considered to be an adolescent or child by age as an adult.

The fact is, in America, "the majority" - and you know who I mean, runs the injustice system based on emotions. In the case of mental illness, where a person has a diagnosis of a psychotic disorder (which medicine and science knows full well to be a root cause of the act of violence - and based on the medical science, medical doctors know full well that insanity is real and should be exculpatory), the injustice system pretends not to comprehend the science (and in the case of the Supreme Court is too stupid and ideologically deranged to comprehend) so that it can essentially criminalize a very serious and deadly genetic disorder - so that it can prosecute and imprison or even put the accused to death.

So basically it comes down to people managing reality, changing variables, or vengefully ignoring the facts so that they can seek revenge against the accused. If the crime makes society angry enough, anything can be done to allow that vengeance to be satisfied - even charging a child as an adult, which is twisted.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I mean imagine making a mistake as a kid under 18 and spending your entire life in prison. What a waste!

because its all about right and wrong, if a 14 year knows it was wrong then he should be tried as an adult and sentence like an adult. they no do overs in reality

Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Because Kids( here under age 10) aren't even a juvenile or tried. Then juvenile has to be certified as a adult to stand trial as one; usually within about two years of adulthood in most states. Now I think there are some pretty juvenile adults but the standard is adult means responsible and its by age. By the way once certified to stand trial as a adult always adult thereafter here.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Maybe if they are mentally retarded they should be charged as kids. Otherwise, I am not sure I understand you point. Cheers.
They likely would not be charged at all if their IQ is very low.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default So if kids can be tried as adults, why can't adults be tried as kids?

Because they're too old.

duh

Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you want a pantywaist judicial system where children under the age of 18 can commit the most heinous of crimes, murder, etc. and just spend a few years in juvenile hall? sorry but if someone has the fortitude to pull the trigger of a gun, or stab someone with a knife, and take their life with premeditation, they belong behind bars for the rest of their life.

commit adult crimes, and do adult time.
THen why aren't all kids tried as adults? There should be NO distinction in the criminal justice system.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I'm so sick of our corrupt justice system that has our prisons overfilled with inmates because of BS laws that make no logical sense. I don't understand how you can tri a child as an adult and put them in life for their whole lives just to try to "be tough". Either they are kids or adults. According to their logic, you should be able to try adults as kids also. According to their logic they should have had the right to smoke and drink legally. I mean imagine making a mistake as a kid under 18 and spending your entire life in prison. What a waste! They should totally eliminate the distinction between child and adult if this is the case and let any kid drink, smoke, and drive.
There is a logical constuct error in the above reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies