Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

No one but me. Just throwing that out there.

Do you really believe this is the primary culprit in certain areas of the country? Some people have lots of time on their hands.....
Which does nothing to refute the fact that people have to work, there are long wait times in some areas, and polling locations have been closed or had hours reduced in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Yes. Early voting. Absentee ballots. Provisional ballots. Ballots in multiple languages. Electronic voting machines. All to dissuade voting and make it *hard* on voters.
Not every state makes the provisions you name.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Which does nothing to refute the fact that people have to work, there are long wait times in some areas, and polling locations have been closed or had hours reduced in many areas.
Then this should be an easy fix. Make Election Day a national holiday.

Even if it became so, I don't think you'd see much of a change. Political indifference among certain groups of people goes much deeper that what you're suggesting.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Who said anything about illegals voting?

It's not always as easy as getting off the couch when some places are cutting back on voting hours, removing locations which makes for hours long lines in others. Some people have to work and can't take off to go stand in line for 4 hours to vote.
I suppose that is happening in places, but it couldn't be much easier to vote than it is where I live (AZ). You can sign up for automatic mailing of your ballot to you and the return period, early voting, goes on for weeks. You can vote from the couch almost. In spite of that, less than 40% of the eligible voters bothered by any means at all in the 2014 election.

I would like to see internet/phone voting though. That might be what it takes to get young people involved.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Voter ID laws, and calls to restrict voting to property owners only, are leftist policies?
I am not sure how knowing who is voting (voter ID) and property owners are tyrannical policies. property requirements were an initial part of the voting requirements in the U.S. Was it tyrrannical then?

[quote=jjrose;38870127]I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that he intends to make voting mandatory in the US.

Quote:
Who said anything about illegals voting?

It's not always as easy as getting off the couch when some places are cutting back on voting hours, removing locations which makes for hours long lines in others. Some people have to work and can't take off to go stand in line for 4 hours to vote.
In any location you can get an absentee ballot. A lot of areas have early voting where you have a one month window in which to vote.

Voting is ridiculously easy in this country and that in most elections most people can not be bothered is fine with me. I only want people who care enough to make the effort to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I find it interesting how many people are against the idea of having everyone vote. Weird.
I find it weird that so many people think more people voting would give us a better government. I mean isn't that the presumption? That if everyone voted we'd get better leaders?

Naw, that isn't happening.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
These last two years are going to be horrible for America and the world. obama is the biggest POS to occupy that office in my lifetime (which started with Truman).

Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
I've never liked the idea of mandatory voting. But now that I see how much the idea infuriates America-hating Teapublicans... I think I may just be OK with the idea.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suppose that is happening in places, but it couldn't be much easier to vote than it is where I live (AZ). You can sign up for automatic mailing of your ballot to you and the return period, early voting, goes on for weeks. You can vote from the couch almost. In spite of that, less than 40% of the eligible voters bothered by any means at all in the 2014 election.

I would like to see internet/phone voting though. That might be what it takes to get young people involved.
Reinstating the military draft is what it would take to get young people involved...

I don't believe in mandatory voting though. Do we really want "MORE" folks voting that are so
ill-informed, they really shouldn't be voting in the first place. I would rather see a civics test given
before one is allowed to vote and if they don't pass it, they can't vote, or hold public office

Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Reinstating the military draft is what it would take to get young people involved...

I don't believe in mandatory voting though. Do we really want "MORE" folks voting that are so
ill-informed, they really shouldn't be voting in the first place. I would rather see a civics test given
before one is allowed to vote and if they don't pass it, they can't vote, or hold public office
In other words you want a 'literacy test' straight out ta the Jim Crow south.

*****Now on cue- everybody feign incredulity that I think Republicans are a bunch of entitled racists!*****

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
In other words you want a 'literacy test' straight out ta the Jim Crow south.
Actually the first literacy test was in Connecticut in 1855 to disenfranchise Irish Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies