Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Besides the fact that Horton has dark skin, what tells you it was racially motivated? They had argued that Dukakis was soft on crime and the Willie Horton case showed a clear example of where his program allowed someone (on a life sentence for murder) to get out for a weekend and commit a heinous crime. Do you think they wouldn't have pointed it out if Horton had been white, serving a life sentence for murder, and was let out for a weekend by the political opponent and robbed and raped someone?
Well, seeing as how the guy who came up with it, apologized for it being racist on his deathbed, yeah... I'd say it was racist in intent and execution. This is how these conversations go though. You point out an obvious sign of racism and the Republican says, no, no, no ... you've got it all wrong. It's not racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, seeing as how the guy who came up with it, apologized for it being racist on his deathbed, yeah... I'd say it was racist in intent and execution. This is how these conversations go though. You point out an obvious sign of racism and the Republican says, no, no, no ... you've got it all wrong. It's not racism.
Right....which is the point and goal of being abstract....you cannot demonstrate intent.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:00 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, he didn't.
This is in fact how these go. People make an assertion, it's debunked, and they move on to the next, never realizing they look desparate to find a case and never allowing the fact that arguments are refuted to raise a question about your assumption.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Right....which is the point and goal of being abstract....you cannot demonstrate intent.
Since intent is required for it to be racism and abstract, then you essentially admit you have not evidence. You're asserting that it's true and your evidence is that you can't demonstrate it. That allows for no discussion.

Since you can't demonstrate it, how is it that the lowly, uneducated republican voters know the code? I've never seen or heard of a memo or a key to decipher it. I can look and figure out morse code.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Since intent is required for it to be racism and abstract, then you essentially admit you have not evidence. You're asserting that it's true and your evidence is that you can't demonstrate it. That allows for no discussion.

Since you can't demonstrate it, how is it that the lowly, uneducated republican voters know the code? I've never seen or heard of a memo or a key to decipher it. I can look and figure out morse code.
That was always the point of dog-whistle politics. Everyone that hears it knows exactly what you're talking about, even when you're not explicitly stating it.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That was always the point of dog-whistle politics. Everyone that hears it knows exactly what you're talking about, even when you're not explicitly stating it.
Well judging by the posts on this thread, it's only the people on the left that hear the dog-whistle so it's clearly not very effective at attracting the "dogs" on the right. I'll let you wrestle with the conclusions on that - not that you will.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
Quote:
What is stupid about it? Racism is stupidity....I would agree with that. What about black republicans? They are part of the abstraction and subterfuge. Even better than white abstraction is to have black folks say it. The best possible scenario is to promote a few blacks to work against the interest of the masses of blacks. That way they can really abstract and hide the racism.

I imagine this topic will get few takers.....because of the evidence.
Are you kidding me? Do you realized what you just wrote? You are saying if you are Black, you can't be a Republican. So lumping all blacks into one way of thinking. That to me screams racist and stupidity...

Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
He is alluding to getting rid of the problem through abstraction. He did not say that people’s attitudes were changing, he said get rid of the issue one way or THE OTHER. The OTHER way is via abstraction. If the hearts and motives of the people are not changing (that’s one way…the preferred way) then their objectives need be expressed through abstraction (the other way) and hence giving the appearance that the race issue is going away.
You just do not want to listen to the plain meaning of the words because your mind is so closed, warped and inflexible. You should change you handle to Smeagol.

Quote:
I did not read anything. I listened to the audio.
So you've listened to all 40 minutes or so of the interview?

Quote:
I would like to hear the republican party leadership rebuke any racism.....
Consider yourself rebuked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does rebuking something make it go away?

How many times have Democrats rebuked black on black killings?

I prefer substance over symbolism, I'm sorry your standards are so low.
It is time to move on. He is incapable of listening, thinking and reflecting.

Quote:
You are missing the point. I am demonstrating the world of deception......
Yes, you are demonstrating the world of deception by posting one of the great deceptions of all time.

John Hinderaker explains it well and shows more actual quotes from the interview and what Atwater said is quite clear.

What Did Lee Atwater Really Say? | Power Line

I know you will not read any of it, but a lot of people follow these discussions without comment and they will read it with open and inquiring minds and learn of yet another leftist myth blown to Kingdom Come.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Exactly.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Well judging by the posts on this thread, it's only the people on the left that hear the dog-whistle so it's clearly not very effective at attracting the "dogs" on the right. I'll let you wrestle with the conclusions on that - not that you will.
Oh I think the dog whistle has been quite effective at attracting the dogs to the GOP. The problem for the GOP is that not only the dogs can hear the whistle -- true. The whistle has decimated the minority ranks of the GOP too. Now that the demographics of America are shifting, the GOP realizes it has to become a multiracial party if it wants to survive. In about 20 years, I predict it will be. Every year more white racists die and more brown faces come to America. The men and women whose job it is to win elections understand this very well and will steer the party accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies