Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Perhaps I am misinformed or naive but I don't think of "inner city" blacks being poor at all. Nor do I think of whites who are on welfare, food stamps and section 8 housing as being poor. Most of these folks manage to have cell phones, dish television, video games and a host of other toys that I cannot afford.

The people who I know who are "poor" are the ones who refuse, out of a sense of pride to give in to the government dole, and work one, or two or sometimes three jobs, just to pay their rent, raise their children and keep food on the table. And while they may be financially challenged they have a degree of honor and integrity that the aforementioned "poor" people will never know.
Is that "pride" why over 65% of the children in foster care in Missouri are white (http://www.policyforresults.org/~/media/Racial%20Disproportionality/RD%20State%20Scorecards/BasicScorecardStandAloneMissouri2081309.ashx - broken link) and nearly 20% of the state's children live at or below the poverty level (measured in real dollars, instead of cellphones or video games)? Or maybe they should just eat "pride"...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Is that "pride" why over 65% of the children in foster care in Missouri are white (http://www.policyforresults.org/~/media/Racial%20Disproportionality/RD%20State%20Scorecards/BasicScorecardStandAloneMissouri2081309.ashx - broken link)
Sounds like a lot until you realize that White children are underrepresented in that statistic. Whites comprise 82.8% of Missouri's population, but less than that - 65% of the children in foster care in Missouri.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Didn't you claim Asians were overrepresented among the rich? Well... where are they?
The Richest People in America - Forbes.com
I think that he meant on average they are better off than most other minorities

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Because they're simply more "obvious" (they look "different" than the dominant population), and they're easier to notice (often being concentrated in urban "ghettoes"). On the other hand, poor whites are a much larger group, but they tend to "blend in" with other whites, and they're largely scattered around the rural parts of the country (aka "red" states & counties), making them more "invisible".
I know Democrats love to try and tie voting conservative to being a poor state, and yet they ignore the fact that Southern "red" voting states have the highest percentage of African Americans & Hispanics in the country.

Mississippi, the poorest state, also has the highest % of African Americans at 38%. And it is abut 3% Hispanic. So more than 40% of Mississippi is made up of groups that have poverty rates well above average.

According to the National Poverty Center:
12% Whites live in poverty
35% African Americans live in poverty
33% of Hispanics live in poverty
National Poverty Center | University of Michigan

So it's crazy to say that voting conservative makes a state poor, when there is proven coorelation between race & poverty and those states.

New Mexico is a poor state and it has voted for Democrats for President 3 of the last 4 elections.

Washington DC is very poor, and it voted Democratic the last 4 elections. It also has a very high African American population.

Contrastly- Virginia and Alaska have 2 of the highest median incomes in the country. Alaska voted Republican for president 4/4 times and VI 3/4 times in the last 4 elections.

It is completely disingenuous to say "conservative state" = poor state and ignore the stats that show poverty has a direct coorelation to race makeup.

And just as an aside- poor blacks in the Mississippi Delta are not the gangbanger image people present. They are, as a general rule, poor people who are doing the best they can in horrible circumstances. These are not people who are sitting in a government housing project, complaining on their government cell phones about their free government food. Same with the poor whites of Appalachia. These are some of the groups who are truly living a 3rd world existence in the US.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Is that "pride" why over 65% of the children in foster care in Missouri are white (http://www.policyforresults.org/~/media/Racial%20Disproportionality/RD%20State%20Scorecards/BasicScorecardStandAloneMissouri2081309.ashx - broken link) and nearly 20% of the state's children live at or below the poverty level (measured in real dollars, instead of cellphones or video games)? Or maybe they should just eat "pride"...
Let me guess math was one of your weaker subjects in school?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Perhaps I am misinformed or naive but I don't think of "inner city" blacks being poor at all. Nor do I think of whites who are on welfare, food stamps and section 8 housing as being poor. Most of these folks manage to have cell phones, dish television, video games and a host of other toys that I cannot afford.

The people who I know who are "poor" are the ones who refuse, out of a sense of pride to give in to the government dole, and work one, or two or sometimes three jobs, just to pay their rent, raise their children and keep food on the table. And while they may be financially challenged they have a degree of honor and integrity that the aforementioned "poor" people will never know.

20yrsinBranson
Blind pride of the early 30's does not apply today. It is percievably harder to hustle (legally) and feed/clothe and keep a decent roof over your head now than it was, say 50 or so years ago. To add to that people under the age of 40 have no ideal what it was like to live in the depression era. To be fair they were not attacked by visions of the wealthy flaunting their excess on all forms of the media either

Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Holding yourself down really sucks...especially when you're too dumb to realize you're doing it!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I know Democrats love to try and tie voting conservative to being a poor state, and yet they ignore the fact that Southern "red" voting states have the highest percentage of African Americans & Hispanics in the country.

Mississippi, the poorest state, also has the highest % of African Americans at 38%. And it is abut 3% Hispanic. So more than 40% of Mississippi is made up of groups that have poverty rates well above average.

So it's crazy to say that voting conservative makes a state poor, when there is proven coorelation between race & poverty and those states.

New Mexico is a poor state and it has voted for Democrats for President 3 of the last 4 elections.

Washington DC is very poor, and it voted Democratic the last 4 elections. It also has a very high African American population.

Contrastly- Virginia and Alaska have 2 of the highest median incomes in the country. Alaska voted Republican for president 4/4 times and VI 3/4 times in the last 4 elections.

It is completely disingenuous to say "conservative state" = poor state and ignore the stats that show poverty has a direct coorelation to race makeup.

And just as an aside- poor blacks in the Mississippi Delta are not the gangbanger image people present. They are, as a general rule, poor people who are doing the best they can in horrible circumstances. These are not people who are sitting in a government housing project, complaining on their government cell phones about their free government food. Same with the poor whites of Appalachia. These are some of the groups who are truly living a 3rd world existence in the US.

I was stationed in Alaska and it is one of the poorest "State in the United States" Alaska gets it's income from Oil just likeTexas.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

Nice job torturing (sorry, "waterboarding" ) the statistics there. So instead of "cherrypicking", let's just look at all the bottom 10 poorest states in the country. And BTW what's the excuse for KY, MT, WV, or even AR with less blacks than say NY (@$54,554 median income, 15.9% black)?

Rank - State - Median Income - Black population by percentage - Red or Blue state in 2010 elections
1 Mississippi $35,693 (36.0 %) Red
2 Arkansas $37,987 (15.5 %) Red
3 West Virginia $39,170 (3.2 %) Red
4 Tennessee $40,034 (16.1 %) Red
5 South Carolina $41,548 (28.9 %) Red
6 Montana $41,587 (0.3 %) Red
7 Kentucky $41,828 (7.2 %) Red
8 Alabama $42,144 (29.2 %) Red
9 North Carolina $42,337 (20.0 %) Red
10 Louisiana $42,423 (32.4 %) Red

Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I know, right now, right this minute THREE women, who have children who have REFUSED offers to work because they can make more money on welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing, etc. One of them lived next door to my mother for several months.

These people live in FILTH. They are disgusting. They milk the system and leech off of YOU AND I (taxpayers), and then they laugh in our faces.

Don't talk to me about the children. If their parents cared for them and loved them, they would not make them live in FILTH running the streets with no shoes or coats in the middle of winter (5 year olds), with hair and clothing that has not been washed for a month.

Don't even defend these people to me. I have seen them with my own eyes a thousand times. And yes, they have no pride at all.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies