Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I used to listen to MSNBC on days I worked from home. (I would never listen to FOX and it's never on it this house.) But even though MSNBC was more in tune with my views, I found myself getting more enraged about everything. I realized it was not healthy. If a major news event happens, I will still turn on MSNBC but I cannot live a life of constant fury. I think conservatives that listen to Fox, Rush, Beck, Hannity, etc. all day are forced to live in constant anger and it's incredibly unhealthy.

24 hour cable news has certainly had an impact on the level of inflamed political rhetoric.
I've always understood that it's entertainment and meant to manipulate people. Example, remember the "binders of women" and not long after democrats ranted on it for ever. It was entertaining how people got the spin and like parrots repeated it. And how long did they go on about the bridge in NJ? I found "vote with your lady parts" and "they'll put you in chains" pretty entertaining too.

I'm more in tune to conservatism and I watch Bret. I've watch Chris Matthews and think that guy is a very happy man making $5 million a year to manipulate. His hyper personality is annoying, does he hit something before the show. The man seems like he is going to jump out of his skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:48 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I used to listen to MSNBC on days I worked from home. (I would never listen to FOX and it's never on it this house.) But even though MSNBC was more in tune with my views, I found myself getting more enraged about everything. I realized it was not healthy. If a major news event happens, I will still turn on MSNBC but I cannot live a life of constant fury. I think conservatives that listen to Fox, Rush, Beck, Hannity, etc. all day are forced to live in constant anger and it's incredibly unhealthy.

24 hour cable news has certainly had an impact on the level of inflamed political rhetoric.
No, it is not healthy. I never watch MSNBC or FOX. I don't need them to tell me what to think.

Someone I know suffered a heart attack, and a part of his recovery process was to remove stress from his life, so he quit watching news, and he said it was like a weight was lifted off his shoulders. He used to be a political junkie (right wing) and the news would wind him up every day, and he'd be angry about stuff beyond his control. I see it here every day, and it's not worth it. Happiness is impossible when your mind is filled with that kind of stuff.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I've always understood that it's entertainment and meant to manipulate people. Example, remember the "binders of women" and not long after democrats ranted on it for ever. It was entertaining how people got the spin and like parrots repeated it. And how long did they go on about the bridge in NJ? I found "vote with your lady parts" and "they'll put you in chains" pretty entertaining too.

I'm more in tune to conservatism and I watch Bret. I've watch Chris Matthews and think that guy is a very happy man making $5 million a year to manipulate. His hyper personality is annoying, does he hit something before the show. The man seems like he is going to jump out of his skin.
You will find those on the other side feel similarly about those on Fox. That was my point.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:58 PM

19,821 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
Your right. Most of the people I spend time with find the whole left right debate tedious. We tend to have some lively debates over particular issues, rather than scoring points for our "team".

We are a pretty happy bunch.
Absolutely. POC has for the most part devolved into posts/threads trying to score points for a team rather than considering ideas. Over the near decade I have been here (didn't post for the first 3 years) I have found I often learned more from threads and posts with ideas that differed from my own. The board was more sincerely spirited in the past.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I keep reading that conservatives are more logical, and more rational, and that liberals tend to blame other people

Cons are constantly blaming other people. Nothing's ever their fault, it's always the fault of "the liberals" or the unions. Especially if one of their businesses goes bankrupt it's never the fault of the people running the company, it's always the worker's fault

Logical? Rational? We're talking here about people who think that a cold snowy day in February is proof that global warming doesn't exist. That is insane!
Or, we're talking about you who blames everything on conservatives. I've never seen a single solitary post from you that ever accepted one bit of responsibility of anything the world going wrong being the fault of a Democrat. Never once. And then here you are saying that conservatives are constantly blaming other people and it's always the fault of the liberals? Your hypocrisy here is so thick it could choke a horse.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is not healthy. I never watch MSNBC or FOX. I don't need them to tell me what to think.

Someone I know suffered a heart attack, and a part of his recovery process was to remove stress from his life, so he quit watching news, and he said it was like a weight was lifted off his shoulders. He used to be a political junkie (right wing) and the news would wind him up every day, and he'd be angry about stuff beyond his control.
Yes, exactly. It's one thing to keep tabs on what's going on. It's another to listen to a cable channel whose business is enraging you.

Did you see Nightcrawler? Great movie but there's a point when Rene Russo is coaching the newscasters in a live broadcast. She keeps emphasizing points she knows will inflame the viewers and increase their fear. When she finds out the truth, she tells them to have another team deal with that since her job is to get people to turn on the show she's producing.

Last edited by Seacove; 03-21-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 02:35 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, we recently went on a cruise and at dinner was seated with one couple who spent the whole dinner trying to impress the others with helping the poor. They talked down on the poor. They acted as if it weren't for them the poor would live in sewer pipes under the city. They were the saviors of the little people.

Believe me, you haven't seen smug and demeaning until you heard a liberal trying to impress others.
Yeah, because referring to welfare recipients as "moochers" is so much better . "Moochers" is actually pretty tame compared to some of to some of the other terms used to described them (keep in mind that right-wingers think welfare recipients are 99% minorities). To hear a right-winger tell it, no conservative has ever gone on an entitlement program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Or, we're talking about you who blames everything on conservatives. I've never seen a single solitary post from you that ever accepted one bit of responsibility of anything the world going wrong being the fault of a Democrat. Never once. And then here you are saying that conservatives are constantly blaming other people and it's always the fault of the liberals? Your hypocrisy here is so thick it could choke a horse.
Or, we're talking about you who blames everything on liberals. I've never seen a single solitary post from you that ever accepted one bit of responsibility of anything the world going wrong being the fault of a Republican. Never once. And then here you are saying that liberals are constantly blaming other people and it's always the fault of the conservatives? Your hypocrisy here is so thick it could choke a horse.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
All my conservative friends are a bunch of cranky pants. Always blasting out some scandal or political posture on my Facebook page.

Why can't they just enjoy life? Smell the roses? Everything has to be some kind of controversy.

Even the oldest sweetest natured lady spews some weird stuff. I give her the side- eye now, and just delete her posts. Why let all this crap intrude into her remaining years, not too many left.
I agree. Two incidents recently. Out with a group of acquaintances and one woman during dinner started talking about there are too many takers while she works hard daily. I thought she was going to have a coronary. I asked her what about corporate welfare and shouldn't that be cut out too. She agreed but was mad as h*ll because whenever she drops her kid off at school certain people she sees are driving expensive cars and she feels they are getting free stuff. Her face was flushed with blood and anger.
Then another conservative loss his job and thereby his employer health insurance. The only thing he rails about is how expensive Obamacare is.

Conservatives are definitely not happier.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, because referring to welfare recipients as "moochers" is so much better . "Moochers" is actually pretty tame compared to some of to some of the other terms used to described them (keep in mind that right-wingers think welfare recipients are 99% minorities). To hear a right-winger tell it, no conservative has ever gone on an entitlement program.

Or, we're talking about you who blames everything on liberals. I've never seen a single solitary post from you that ever accepted one bit of responsibility of anything the world going wrong being the fault of a Republican. Never once. And then here you are saying that liberals are constantly blaming other people and it's always the fault of the conservatives? Your hypocrisy here is so thick it could choke a horse.
Sorry you don't like the term moocher but people who depend on government force to take money from people who earn the money to give to people who did nothing to earn the money then yes those who are taking unearned money are moochers.

People on welfare don't contribute to society then expect to live as well as those who work to support themselves. It's morally wrong yet you still try to justify it. Hey, I live a comfortable life, thanks to "me" so I don't have to blame everyone else. I never expected someone else to pay my way.

Don't expect and you won't be so disappointed.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
People people who pay their own way even if they aren't living in luxury. People don't respect people, (even if living in luxury) people who take from others.

You can't buy respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies