Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well damn if you are not correct. Many like to hide behind the freedom of speech deal. I agree with freedom of speech. But more than that I believe in consequences for your actions.
For example if I walked up to a very large football player looking guy and began insulting his wife. Using vulgar terms, and insinuating that she is most likely a woman of ill repute. I would expect to get a ride in an ambulance to a hospital...
Soooo Regardless of my opinion of the individuals wife. I keep my opinions to myself. Not because I fear a beating. But because I understand that I would deserve the beating in the first place.
I have practiced Karate since I was 18 years old. I have no love of violence and try to avoid it at all costs. I draw the line at my family. I will not allow them to be abused mentally or physically.
I make it a point to watch my language around women and children or in general most all the time. I make it a point not to intentionally slander others or make insulting statements. Its called having a little class or good manners.
i blame MTV and gangster rap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I think I need to clear up a few points that may not have been obvious from my original post:

1. I didn't START with a promise of violence, that came after several, increasingly pointed REQUESTS that he stop the boorish behavior. I started by ASKING that he stop.

2. The promise of violence came after several minutes of his trying to justify, excuse, and make clear his preference for his actions.

3. I didn't SPECIFICALLY threaten him, he said; "how about if I talk the way I like and you don't listen?" My response was; "I have a better idea, you keep talking that way and I'll beat you senseless." Maybe not the exact words but anyone who knows me that I have a great talent for recall of details.

BTW, later when the subject came up from some others in the larger group, no one was suprised by his actions. Apparently he is a member of one of the "border watch" groups and has expressed views that led this other party to express a complete lack of suprise at this behavior.

Most of my close friends who were attending this out of town event were shocked, as they know me as a generally calm and caring person. Althought one or two expressed the opinion that I always struck them as someone who "anyone would want as a friend, and no one would want as an enemy".

Interesting that there is such a range of opinions. I guess I'm not suprised that even on this forum people still think it's OK to talk this way.

golfgod
you dont need to explain yourself. EVERYONE has their breaking point and this person pushed you to yours. Anyone who talks all this "you shouldn't have gone there" stuff are either young, naive or just typing to be typing.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you dont need to explain yourself. EVERYONE has their breaking point and this person pushed you to yours. Anyone who talks all this "you shouldn't have gone there" stuff are either young, naive or just typing to be typing.
Thing is, wasn't the poster asking if we thought it was the best way to handle the situation or not? It's not like the reaction was a crime or an atrocity; I'm just arguing that it wasn't the ideal or proper way to handle it. I'm not trying to crucify anyone for something like that.

As far as breaking points go, you would think it takes a hell of a lot more, unless this was the first time the person had to listen to a blatant, open racist talk.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times
Quote:
I'm not young, naive, or tired of typing (tired of reading some of this drivel, yes). I think he went too far with the threats of physical violence against someone for merely speaking their mind.

If you're pushed to your breaking point because certain words were spoken in your presence, you probably have other issues going on and probably need more help than the guy speaking the offending words.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Quote:
... watch his mouth I don't want my wife offended ...
He got a good beating right there on the spot. And it felt good ... may have taught him that some folks mean what they say ...
Great work TinMan! Not only did you teach that jerk-off a lesson, you also showed that chivalry is still a virtue, defending your lady! Many other guys these days could learn from your example.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Great work TinMan! Not only did you teach that jerk-off a lesson, you also showed that chivalry is still a virtue, defending your lady! Many other guys these days could learn from your example.
Hm, willing to bet that if he thought there was a chance he might lose, he wouldn't have been so quick to show his chivalry.

Of course, it's easy to beat up on someone weaker than you as long as you have their rudeness to justify it. Yeah, real man there.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Thing is, wasn't the poster asking if we thought it was the best way to handle the situation or not? It's not like the reaction was a crime or an atrocity; I'm just arguing that it wasn't the ideal or proper way to handle it. I'm not trying to crucify anyone for something like that.

As far as breaking points go, you would think it takes a hell of a lot more, unless this was the first time the person had to listen to a blatant, open racist talk.
thoughts are like finger prints, no two are alike. My point in saying that is, what affects one person one way, may affect another person another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I'm not young, naive, or tired of typing (tired of reading some of this drivel, yes). I think he went too far with the threats of physical violence against someone for merely speaking their mind.

If you're pushed to your breaking point because certain words were spoken in your presence, you probably have other issues going on and probably need more help than the guy speaking the offending words.
oh, I see what you did there.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

oh, I see what you did there.
Yeah...I explained that I didn't have to be young or naive in order to defend someone else's freedom to speak their mind, even if I disagree with what they might have to say.

Shame on me.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Thumbs down Handled rascist

Quote:
Some times words are worse than a beating.
Group humiliation for example. When the outcast is made fun of for the amusement of others.
Born with a cleft of the pallot and lip I experienced a great deal of such abuse by my peers. I promise you I would have rather taken a beating than endured that harrassment. Pain is temperary and pride is forever. Its easy to look down at your toes and pretend not to hear it. But you did, and it will echo in your ears for some time. The group will say oh but it was all in fun. For some maybe it was, but for many it was meant to be what it was, mean.
My wife is thai she stands 5 feet tall. She is a true lady. I have never heard a foul word, or a word of hate come from her mouth. As the only asian at that party there could be no doubt who the words were aimed at. There was no doubt what the purpose was.
Yes we could have left without a word, or retaliation. But then the ignorant redneck would have kept his pride, would have owned the moment. I chose not to allow him that reward. I fully accepted that potentially he could sue me, have me arrested or what ever other hardship could be imposed. I can live with the above. What I could never live with is allowing my wife to be abused as I was in my youth. Thats called love.
BALDERDASH! Little of the touchy, feeley content has much meaning. Your admitted actions do! I believe Dunkel has it about right on not one but both his posts. Your comments on this and many of your posts are very transparent. They speak volumns.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Quote:
Some times words are worse than a beating.
Group humiliation for example. When the outcast is made fun of for the amusement of others.
Born with a cleft of the pallot and lip I experienced a great deal of such abuse by my peers. I promise you I would have rather taken a beating than endured that harrassment. Pain is temperary and pride is forever. Its easy to look down at your toes and pretend not to hear it. But you did, and it will echo in your ears for some time. The group will say oh but it was all in fun. For some maybe it was, but for many it was meant to be what it was, mean.
My wife is thai she stands 5 feet tall. She is a true lady. I have never heard a foul word, or a word of hate come from her mouth. As the only asian at that party there could be no doubt who the words were aimed at. There was no doubt what the purpose was.
Yes we could have left without a word, or retaliation. But then the ignorant redneck would have kept his pride, would have owned the moment. I chose not to allow him that reward. I fully accepted that potentially he could sue me, have me arrested or what ever other hardship could be imposed. I can live with the above. What I could never live with is allowing my wife to be abused as I was in my youth. Thats called love.

I believe the key word is "Pride" & "Dignity".

Very admirable from where i stand, but then, we are the special military types who live by such codes and valour.

And for the two wussies who are quick to judge this guy... LMAO.. Man, you are way out of your league.

OP, you did the right thing, although you showed more restraint than i could've hoped for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies