Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,468,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in my not so humble opinion, in order to "get over" something bad that happens in ones life, they have to meet it head on. avoiding it only puts off the pain of healing. and it doesnt matter what that bad thing, or things are, for instance my kidneys have failed to the point where i am on dialysis three times per week. now i could sit around feeling sorry for myself, and say woe is me, etc. but instead i dont let it get me down.

death smiles at everyone, marines smile back. i not only smile back, but i kick his butt.
Hope you are feeling better now. That is a great attitude of yours. (( hugs ))

I agree with majority of your post. But I think everybody handles trauma differently, especially at early stage.

If certain situations are too triggering, I think they should avoid the situation if and only if avoiding the situation works better for them, do whatever they want to make themselves feel better. It is a long process and there is no one size fits all way to "get over" trauma.

Just my opinion anyway.

not everybody is a Marine lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:23 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,566,787 times
I think I would need a padded cell, never mind a safe room, if I had to listen
to all the liberal commie crap taught at Brown all day.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
That's funny.

We have a 'quiet room' at work. The company is 99% Republican (employees and owners). Sometimes I think I'm the lone Democrat!

I have had trauma in my life. I found that the best thing to do is face it; read about what happened to others; watch shows about it, etc.

The more I have faced it, the less it has bothered me or triggered negative emotion. It's like a curse word; the more someone hears it the less impact it has.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM

52,549 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's funny.

We have a 'quiet room' at work. The company is 99% Republican (employees and owners). Sometimes I think I'm the lone Democrat!

I have had trauma in my life. I found that the best thing to do is face it; read about what happened to others; watch shows about it, etc.

The more I have faced it, the less it has bothered me or triggered negative emotion. It's like a curse word; the more someone hears it the less impact it has.
unless the purpose of the quiet room at your place of employment is to recover from having your dearly and closely held beliefs challenged, I don't get your point of bringing it up.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,468,646 times
Quote:
That's funny.

I experienced a loved one's suicide. I joined a support group. Many people in the support groups avoided certain situations (e.g. triggering movies)

Healing process is not the same for everybody else.

For example, soldiers with PTSD are often advised to avoid guns, many found it counterproductive, but this approach works for some.

It is important to realize that different people deal with trauma differently. There is no one size fits all way to "get over" it. matter of fact, one will NEVER get over that particular trauma, you get THROUGH it. You learn to live WITH it.

In this particular case, banning the debate just to avoid upsetting a few is counterproductive. Students need to figure out a way to deal with their own trauma.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 AM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
WTF? Kindergarten for 20 year olds?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,430,621 times
The wussifying of American youth continues according to plan.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,968,069 times
Quote:
That's funny.

We have a 'quiet room' at work. The company is 99% Republican (employees and owners).
Then it's to get away from noise.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:06 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Then it's to get away from noise.
Yeah, that would be a private phone call room, most every office has them.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
unless the purpose of the quiet room at your place of employment is to recover from having your dearly and closely held beliefs challenged, I don't get your point of bringing it up.
It's the same concept...a place to get away for a while, whatever the reason.

Sorry if it offends you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies