Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times

Advertisements

I understand the government has already taken the first steps in suspending American freedoms and liberties. I know they will continue to take more steps under the guise of safety as Ronald Regan, JFK, and our founding fathers warned us about. The world's immigrants wants to come over to the U.S. because of all the world's governments, we still are the ones who guarantees the most freedom but I fear that time will be short-lived. My question is this, where else can we go when America becames the land of tyranny? It has placed throughout the world many puppet-governments that it controls. But the strange thing about puppet-governments, they don't last forever. Where can you go and still be free? Honestly, where can you go? I would like to move all my assets there and retire there because America is heading towards the wrong path. Anyone know? I would like suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I understand the government has already taken the first steps in suspending American freedoms and liberties.
And, exactly what freedoms and liberties do you believe you have lost or, are about to lose?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
What do you mean?

Carrie

Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, exactly what freedoms and liberties do you believe you have lost or, are about to lose?
The freedom to e-mail or search on the Internet without the government capturing phrases or keywords for analysis.

Carnivore (FBI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The freedom to assemble on the national mall.

Activists Fight for Right to Protest on the Mall|ABC 7 News

The freedom to assemble to protest the President.

“Free-Speech Zone”

The right to petition for redress of grievance.

Our 6th Amendment right to a speedy trial with an impartial jury.

Jose Padilla: No Charges and No Trial, Just Jail

Our 10th Amendment rights...

I don't have enough room to cite the links on this one.

And it goes on and on...
Anti-Tax Group Makes 'Final Warning' to Federal Government -- 11/15/2002 (broken link)

Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I understand the government has already taken the first steps in suspending American freedoms and liberties. I know they will continue to take more steps under the guise of safety as Ronald Regan, JFK, and our founding fathers warned us about. The world's immigrants wants to come over to the U.S. because of all the world's governments, we still are the ones who guarantees the most freedom but I fear that time will be short-lived. My question is this, where else can we go when America becames the land of tyranny? It has placed throughout the world many puppet-governments that it controls. But the strange thing about puppet-governments, they don't last forever. Where can you go and still be free? Honestly, where can you go? I would like to move all my assets there and retire there because America is heading towards the wrong path. Anyone know? I would like suggestions...
I'm looking into this as well... I don't think this country will be recognizable in 30 years. But I'm 20-35 years away from retiring, so a lot can change for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:04 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
I would like suggestions...
One possibility: Switzerland

Liberator Online Archive (http://www.theadvocates.org/liberator/vol-08-num-11.htm#ruwart - broken link)

"Switzerland adopted a constitution similar to that of the U.S. in the mid-1800s. Their federal government is still small; many of the elected officials are part-timers who support themselves with additional jobs. Few Swiss even know their president's name, because his power and prestige is limited, just as his job is.

"The Swiss focus on true defense (bomb shelters, universal military training, no nuclear "deterrent," neutrality in both World Wars, refusal to join the United Nations). The Swiss vote often on issues that bureaucrats would decide in the U.S. Because federal government power and expenditure is so limited, the Swiss have enjoyed economic freedom and prosperity comparable to the U.S."

And here's a surprise: Estonia!

Estonia: Estonia Most Libertarian Country

Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Plan ahead. Contact your local organization that teaches English to immigrants, and take their training course in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and do some volunteer work for practice.. You already know how to do something perfectly, that kings would give half their kingdom to know how to do---speak English.

Then, when the time comes, you can go literally anywhere in the world, and have a skill that will enable you to work in a third world country, for higher income than the prevailing wage.

Foreigners living in the third world are treated well, and have a great deal of immunity to the foibles of local dictators. At worst, you wlll be kicked out of the country, unless you mess with drugs or revolutionaries. Local intellectuals will desire you as a friend.

Most of Latin America is pretty ripe. Anywhere in the Muslim world, your skills will be in great demand. Chna will become a wide open market. Any established foreign language institute will hire you and arrange all the necessary papes for you to get a residence visa. Once you have that, you can moonlight, making a lot of extra money teaching private lessons in your spare time.

You cannot afford to live in places like Switzerland---even if your USA employer kept on paying your current salary, which he is not going to do after you fly the coop.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Remember that you have to renounce your citizenship at an embassy or continue to file US income taxes, even if you live abroad. So if you're doing it to try and avoid taxes as part of the reasoning, don't get too far ahead of yourself

Old 01-14-2008, 05:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
One possibility: Switzerland

Liberator Online Archive (http://www.theadvocates.org/liberator/vol-08-num-11.htm#ruwart - broken link)

"Switzerland adopted a constitution similar to that of the U.S. in the mid-1800s. Their federal government is still small; many of the elected officials are part-timers who support themselves with additional jobs. Few Swiss even know their president's name, because his power and prestige is limited, just as his job is.

"The Swiss focus on true defense (bomb shelters, universal military training, no nuclear "deterrent," neutrality in both World Wars, refusal to join the United Nations). The Swiss vote often on issues that bureaucrats would decide in the U.S. Because federal government power and expenditure is so limited, the Swiss have enjoyed economic freedom and prosperity comparable to the U.S."

And here's a surprise: Estonia!

Estonia: Estonia Most Libertarian Country
Nice links but the Switzerland link said that state governments are quickly becoming too powerful and instituting socialized care and it also just joined the U.N. in 2002. I rather a country who is not a part of the U.N. and no socialized programs.

Taxes has nothing to do with it, I just don't want to live in a totalitarian society. I gladly pay my taxes as long as it is not used for anything more than the constitution allows. Unfortunately, most of it is being used that way.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times
There is nowhere to go. America is still the greatest nation on Earth overall, even if we are not perfect in some areas. Any country that is significantly better in certain areas would not have you...we are pretty much the only country in the world that allows rampant immigration, legal or illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies