Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Hmm, yes, I guess giving concessions and expecting the other side to do the same is a funny way of bargaining... oh, wait, that is the typical way of bargaining.
Which concessions were those again? Was it the concession by the House Republicans that if the president and the Senate didn't defund Obamacare they will shut everything down? Or the concession that if the Senate and the president didn't delay implementation of Obamacare they will shut down the government? Or maybe you mean the concession that if the president and Senate didn't dismantle Obamacare they will shut down the government? Are those the concession you are talking about?

With apologies to Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
You mean repeal Obamacare or else we are going to pout and shutdown the gov't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Which concessions were those again? Was it the concession by the House Republicans that if the president and the Senate didn't defund Obamacare they will shut everything down? Or the concession that if the Senate and the president didn't delay implementation of Obamacare they will shut down the government? Or maybe you mean the concession that if the president and Senate didn't dismantle Obamacare they will shut down the government? Are those the concession you are talking about?

With apologies to Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
I see you both still refuse to admit that the Republicans made concessions several times and the Democrats refused to consider any of them. It must be fun to live in a world where your political beliefs trump reality.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Not wanting to wade through over 400 responses ... can I assume that someone has already made the point that Senator Cruz did not need to purchase health insurance through the health exchanges? That he is no different than anyone else in this country? That no one is forced to make such a purchase?

For Senator Cruz specifically, and any Member of Congress, here's the story from the Office of Personnel Management:

Final Rule for Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Members of Congress and Congressional Staff
The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director.The formula for Government contributions is set forth in 5 USC §8906 and is the same formula used for other Federal employees. Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.
If he hates the Affordable Care Act, that's cool. Nothing says he has to participate. As a U.S. Senator, he should know this. Then again, there's no limit to how much he should know, but doesn't.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
I see you both still refuse to admit that the Republicans made concessions several times and the Democrats refused to consider any of them. It must be fun to live in a world where your political beliefs trump reality.
You think I live on fantasy island and I think you watch way too much fox news.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Ted Cruz is complying with Obamacare. That means he's a hypocrite.

Obama only complies with the laws that suit him. That means he's not.

Leftists want Ted Cruz to break the law and not sign up for health insurance. Presumably so they can call him a law-breaking illegal. Racist

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Well, then, enlighten us about all those so-called concessions the Republicans made. And see if you can do it without using the words "defund Obamacare," "delay Obamacare," "defund parts of Obamacare," "dismantle Obamacare," or "fund everything else BUT Obamacare." This should be fun.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Not wanting to wade through over 400 responses ... can I assume that someone has already made the point that Senator Cruz did not need to purchase health insurance through the health exchanges? That he is no different than anyone else in this country? That no one is forced to make such a purchase?

For Senator Cruz specifically, and any Member of Congress, here's the story from the Office of Personnel Management:

Final Rule for Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Members of Congress and Congressional Staff
The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director.The formula for Government contributions is set forth in 5 USC §8906 and is the same formula used for other Federal employees. Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.
If he hates the Affordable Care Act, that's cool. Nothing says he has to participate. As a U.S. Senator, he should know this. Then again, there's no limit to how much he should know, but doesn't.
Yeah it has been mentioned many times in this thread that Cruz still have other options yet there are folks coming in here saying he is being a good citizen by complying with a law that he doesn't like.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Leftists want Ted Cruz to break the law and not sign up for health insurance. Presumably so they can call him a law-breaking illegal.
Well, now you can call him a leech for getting a subsidy when he could have purchased his insurance outside of the exchanges and not gotten one. You have had no problem calling me a leech in the in the past for doing exactly what Cruz is doing. So come on, let's hear you say it.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
This is one funny dude.

Ted Cruz going on Obamacare - CNN.com

"The newly announced Republican presidential candidate told CNN's Dana Bash on Tuesday that he will sign up for health care coverage through the Affordable Care Act -- a law he has been on a crusade to kill."
Like it, or hate it, the ACA is the law of the land and Cruz needs to follow it.

Or do you think the US federal legislators who write our laws should exempt themselves from following our laws?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, now you can call him a leech for getting a subsidy when he could have purchased his insurance outside of the exchanges and not gotten one. You have had no problem calling me a leech in the in the past for doing exactly what Cruz is doing. So come on, let's hear you say it.
You're actually gloating about forcing your awful law on people. Obamacare for me, but not for thee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies