Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Section 8 tenants do live practically free courtesy of the taxpayers. What they do with their time is immaterial.
They do not live practically rent free. They are required to pay 30% of their income in rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Idiocy but that's the Left for you. What these type of programs do is actually make the situation worse. The people lucky enough to get an apartment will most likely never move or will do so for a long time. So you won't be helping many poor people at all. However you can't tell liberals anything since they know everything.
Actually Section 8 has reduced the concentration of poverty in various neighborhoods and locations across the country and has been a success. The reason why family public housing is now being demolished and LIHTC communities built in its stead is because of the success of the HCV/Section 8 program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
My neighborhood has restrictions that effectively do not allow public housing or section 8. There is a covenant which requires all homes to be single family and have a 3 car garage, and it would not be cost effective to subsidize the rental of a house with a 3 car garage.
There are public housing locations that have exactly what you describe. I consulted with a housing authority that built single family homes and subdivisions.

Also, many people who own homes in your neighborhood could easily have those homes inspected by the housing authority and deemed acceptable to be a part of the Section 8 program. Most of the homes at the last location I worked for in GA were exactly like you described and Section 8 tenants lived in those homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:10 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,897,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are public housing locations that have exactly what you describe. I consulted with a housing authority that built single family homes and subdivisions.

Also, many people who own homes in your neighborhood could easily have those homes inspected by the housing authority and deemed acceptable to be a part of the Section 8 program. Most of the homes at the last location I worked for in GA were exactly like you described and Section 8 tenants lived in those homes.
Not in our market they wouldn't.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,893,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Is there a lot of section 8 housing in your neighborhood? I've lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of section 8 tenants. It SUCKED. And that's why I complain.
I'm sure there is relatively speaking-it's hard to tell. There was a housing project tower close to me that was recently demolished last year-the ashes actually reached my block. It became problematic to house so many people together in generational poverty; affordable rowhomes will be built in it's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2S4VYYSOA

Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Geez %$^%!@!!!

You give them this kind of place to live, free food, free subsidized day care, utility assistance, free/low cost cell phone, and welfare payments, what the HE*L is the incentive for them to ever get back to W-O-R-K?

(Note: This does not apply to the disabled, the elderly or the truly in need. Just the welfare abusers..)

Are Taxpayers Paying for Free Cell Phones? - Forbes

Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm sure there is relatively speaking-it's hard to tell. There was a housing project tower close to me that was recently demolished last year-the ashes actually reached my block. It became problematic to house so many people together in generational poverty; affordable rowhomes will be built in it's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2S4VYYSOA
No, it isn't hard to tell. So no, there isn't much section 8 housing in your neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,306 times
Quote:
They do not live practically rent free. They are required to pay 30% of their income in rent.

Actually Section 8 has reduced the concentration of poverty in various neighborhoods and locations across the country and has been a success. The reason why family public housing is now being demolished and LIHTC communities built in its stead is because of the success of the HCV/Section 8 program.

No, it isn't a success. It has ruined many neighborhoods. I've seen it first-hand.
Let's End Housing Vouchers by Howard Husock, City Journal Autumn 2000

Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
30% of their income isnt just for rent, its the total, including utilities..

When I ran rental units and I had section 8 tenants, we always just inflated the rental rate, had the government pay the rent, and we wrote off the tenants obligation monthly.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Simply moving those who are impoverished out of 1 area into another, doesnt benefit anyone. It brings crime to other areas that wouldnt normally have had it for example, thereby increasing the tax obligations, and often times causes areas to create a rental tax, to help offset the new costs to the public.

Public housing is being demolished simply because much of the housing costs are being paid by the federal government from other programs. A large portion of section 8 for example is funded by the feds.

local municipalities have privatized public housing in order to give incentive to developers and allow them to get tax breaks which simply reduces the obligations of the local governments.

its not because its a success, its because tax policies give incentives to do so.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Geez %$^%!@!!!

You give them this kind of place to live, free food, free subsidized day care, utility assistance, free/low cost cell phone, and welfare payments, what the HE*L is the incentive for them to ever get back to W-O-R-K?

(Note: This does not apply to the disabled, the elderly or the truly in need. Just the welfare abusers..)

Are Taxpayers Paying for Free Cell Phones? - Forbes
So you want to discuss the minority of people on section 8? Keep in mind, being on section 8 doesn't mean you are unemployed.

As for the welfare abusers, they get 5 years of welfare, and are kicked off. Thats the current law. You did know there is a lifetime time limit now right?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So you want to discuss the minority of people on section 8? Keep in mind, being on section 8 doesn't mean you are unemployed.

As for the welfare abusers, they get 5 years of welfare, and are kicked off. Thats the current law. You did know there is a lifetime time limit now right?
I know one person who's been on it for 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies