Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,898,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I was establishing that it isn't wrong to refuse service to everybody and keep your product to yourself (because you own it, so can choose to keep it, give it away, or trade it.)The next examples just take the same logic and apply it to different situations. I'm saying that, since the product is yours to keep, give, or sell, a third party shouldn't intervene and force you to use it how they decide you should use it. If you don't want to sell to someone, fine. You aren't violating anyone's rights by refusing service, although you might be a jerk if you discriminate against people for irrational reasons.

So. To clarify, what would be some real life examples of 'discriminate against people for irrational reasons'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,343,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
So. To clarify, what would be some real life examples of 'discriminate against people for irrational reasons'?
Refuse to serve them based on race or skin color, religion, sexual preferences, favorite type of food, the way they walk, taste in music, type of car they drive...an endless amount of arbitrary reasons. There are rational and irrational reasons to not serve someone, but it doesn't matter the reasoning. If you own something and don't want to sell to someone, that's your decision, as stupid as the reason might be.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:24 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,144,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Posting signs on who they will not serve should have been an absolute requirement.
That's a great idea!

Except that a gay man or lesbian woman who wanted to trade with such a business could do so. All they'd have to do is conduct their desired transaction and NOT volunteer their sexual orientation - which is what the vast majority of Americans do every day.

But yeah, let's go ahead and force business owners to post signs, that way gay men and lesbians will be forced to remain "in the closet" in order to trade with businesses that are required to post the sign.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,661,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's a great idea!

Except that a gay man or lesbian woman who wanted to trade with such a business could do so. All they'd have to do is conduct their desired transaction and NOT volunteer their sexual orientation - which is what the vast majority of Americans do every day.

But yeah, let's go ahead and force business owners to post signs, that way gay men and lesbians will be forced to remain "in the closet" in order to trade with businesses that are required to post the sign.
There is no reason why a business that refuses to serve gays and lesbians shouldn't be required to post a sign. Then the public at large can decide whether they want to do business with them.

I'm not gay but I wouldn't do business with them. I want to know which businesses are like this. What's more, a gay or lesbian should not have to be told no, they can just avoid the businesses that post signs.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,764,753 times
As usual, the headline offers a false narrative, with nothing to support it.

Refuse gay customers? Really. Do gays go into a business and say, "I need a hammer, I'm gay" or do they intend to? Wouldn't a business owner who wants to make a sale shrug his shoulders? No one's going to put up a sign saying, "No gays allowed" (illegal) but they wouldn't be forced to enter into a contract with a person or group, contrary to their religious beliefs.

Give me a break.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Refuse to serve them based on race or skin color, religion, sexual preferences, favorite type of food, the way they walk, taste in music, type of car they drive...an endless amount of arbitrary reasons. There are rational and irrational reasons to not serve someone, but it doesn't matter the reasoning. If you own something and don't want to sell to someone, that's your decision, as stupid as the reason might be.
I'm guessing what you lack is empathy, and perhaps a few other things.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,824,690 times
same whites that backed this loved jim crow.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,319,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
As usual, the headline offers a false narrative, with nothing to support it.

Refuse gay customers? Really. Do gays go into a business and say, "I need a hammer, I'm gay" or do they intend to? Wouldn't a business owner who wants to make a sale shrug his shoulders? No one's going to put up a sign saying, "No gays allowed" (illegal) but they wouldn't be forced to enter into a contract with a person or group, contrary to their religious beliefs.

Give me a break.
Yep this is correct, it does not allow anyone to discriminated against anyone, it gives business owners with religious beliefs some relief in being discriminated against but you can never convince the paranoid that everybody is not out to get them.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,343,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm guessing what you lack is empathy, and perhaps a few other things.
Actually, I've been told I'm "overly empathetic" and I need to be tougher on people...so that's kind of funny to me. I think you're confusing lack of empathy with being logical and principled.

I believe that it's wrong to use force against someone who isn't using it against anyone else, and I think it's wrong to violate anyone's property rights. If I lacked empathy I'd break those principles with no guilt at all, but I know it's wrong and refuse to advocate that. Applying those principles logically and consistently, I believe it's wrong to coerce someone into doing what I want them to do when they aren't infringing on anyone's rights. If they were forcefully preventing a minority from shopping somewhere else, that's completely different and force would be justified to stop that from happening.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,865,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Man, 3% of the population sure get a lot of attention. Curious thing, that.
I find it hard to believe that ignorant Republicans make up only 3% of the population. Are you thinking worldwide of just America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies