Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Look at the KKK and other white power groups, yes their beliefs about race are tied in to their beliefs about religion. What about muslim businesses turning away Christians? Atheist businesses turning away Christians?
Cain's mark was useful to alert other people in that early day that a man for the first time had become capable of the act of murder. But today, you can't assume everyone who is Black is a murderer. So how God punished Cain for murdering Abel can't be used today to justify discriminating against Blacks.

While there is a lot of pick and choosing as to what to follow in this modern age when going there for guidance, where in the Bible does God command people to discriminate against some people, especially in the New Testament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Washington (CNN)Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is set to sign into law a measure that allows businesses to turn away gay and lesbian customers in the name of "religious freedom."

The move comes as Pence considers a bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination -- and just a year after Pence and socially conservative lawmakers lost their first policy battle against gay Hoosiers. In 2014 they had sought to amend Indiana's constitution to ban same-sex marriages -- but were beaten back by a highly-organized coalition of Democrats, traditionally right-leaning business organizations and fiscally focused supporters of Pence's predecessor, former GOP Gov. Mitch Daniels.

Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers - CNN.com
The Supreme Court ruling in the Hobby Lobby case is relevant here.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 03-30-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
When the language of a statute is ambiguous - and RFRA is the most ambiguous law I've ever read - legislative intent absolutely does matter. Legislative intent is the most important things courts consider when constructing (interpreting) a statute - before applying it - in an ambiguous situation (and that makes total sense - it's the legislature's job to make laws, not the court's).
Doh! You are so easy......

Every time I tell my leftie colleagues that the 14th Amendment is being interpreted in ways that the authors never, ever intended I am told legislative intent is of no consequence it is what the amendment says and that our understanding has "evolved".

So which is it? Does legislative intent only matter when you wish it to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Even if two states - let's say Indiana and Illinois - have similar sounding RFRAs (or even RFRAs that are absolutely identical in language), the effect of the laws, and in essence the laws themselves, can be completely different. It depends on what the legislative intent behind the law was and how various state courts will interpret terms like "compelling governmental interest" in light of a state having a state anti-discrimination law that includes sexual orientation as a protected class (like Illinois does and Indiana does not).
And if I were a respondent in an IL case I would take my case to federal court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
With this law couldn't a Muslim group refuse to allow any Christians from coming into there restaurant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Look at the KKK and other white power groups, yes their beliefs about race are tied in to their beliefs about religion. What about muslim businesses turning away Christians? Atheist businesses turning away Christians?
Here is what is absolutely hilarious. You act as if a Christian went to an atheist or Muslim business and was refused service we'd run to a court and sue. Anyone I know would happily not go there and then tell all my friends, maybe even post it to Facebook or Twitter, but then be done with it.

There is another felafel stand just waiting someplace else.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly about 20 states have or are considering /some form of Religious Freedom Restoration Acts.
20 or 21 already have them (I posted the list earlier) as well as the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think some people are taking this to extremes. We should not become a society where a business owner can essentially slap a notice on vending machines stating "No Gays." Selling a person a can of pop, a donut, a cake, or a suit of clothes, is not the shop owner validating, promoting or contributing to the actions of the customer once they walk out the door. Selling a "sinner" a product or service is not the same as you taking part in whatever sin you think the customer engages in.
Most of these cases stem not from a store where someone walks in and just says "I want to buy this", it has been cases where the person would be part of the gay marriage ceremony, like the photographer in New Mexico. Forcing someone to participate in an event they object to is just wrong on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Not for retail stores...
Maybe, maybe not, we'll take your source, but certainly for a business like a photographer.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
This is just reaffirming a Federal law signed by Bill Clinton in 1993.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Those against this law answer this:

Should a jewish tatto artist be able to say he will not tattoo a swastika tattoo? Or should he have to do it because he is in a business of doing tattoos?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I'd like to see a few restaurants in my area have "no seniors after 7" policies.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Most of these cases stem not from a store where someone walks in and just says "I want to buy this", it has been cases where the person would be part of the gay marriage ceremony, like the photographer in New Mexico. Forcing someone to participate in an event they object to is just wrong on so many levels.
If I was a pro photographer, I wouldn't expect covering a gay wedding to be any worse an experince than a biracial straight one.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Those against this law answer this:

Should a jewish tatto artist be able to say he will not tattoo a swastika tattoo? Or should he have to do it because he is in a business of doing tattoos?
It is not against the law to deny someone a hate message as long as you are doing the same across the board. Discrimination is based on singling out one group of people.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM

335 posts, read 424,021 times
Apple CEO Tim Cook Warns Of Discriminatory Laws Sweeping U.S.

Apple CEO Tim Cook Opposes Discriminatory Legislation Sweeping U.S.

Apple boss Tim Cook decried in the Washington Post what he called discriminatory legislation proposed in more than 20 states, following a controversial law signed by Indiana Gov. Mike Pence that appears to allows the state’s business owners to refuse service to same-sex couples.

“America’s business community recognized a long time ago that discrimination, in all its forms, is bad for business,” Cook wrote in a Post op-ed. The 54-year-old referenced the Indiana bill that critics say enables LGBT discrimination on the grounds of religious freedom.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The mob runs a game called the numbers, the odds are 1 in 1000 of winning. The mob pays $600 to winners. The state of Texas runs a similar game called Pick Three, Texas pays $500 to winners.
I was really referring to the federal govt.

With regard to the Texas Lottery, I don't play. The odds are terrible, and I don't care for games of chance. If I want to gamble, I'll go to a craps table where I know I will make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies