Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,412,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
From the beginning, this crash seemed suspicious since it made a regulated descent into the mountains with no distress calls.
I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point.
Turns out, this was no accident. The voice recorder shows that the co-pilot asked the pilot if he could control the plane for a bit. The pilot said yes, and left the cockpit for a few minutes. When he returned, the door was locked. The pilot tried to break in to the cockpit, but was unsuccessful, and the co-pilot purposefully crashed into the mountains, killing everyone on board.

We don't know the co-pilot's motivation yet, but it seems like in the future, the responsible thing to do would be wait for the investigation whether than running out and declaring it's not terrorism the first day.

Germanwings Flight 9525 crashed "intentionally" by co-pilot - CBS News

First, I love how this plane wreck in Europe instantly becomes a mark against Obama in your eyes.

Second, "no indication of terror" means that at the time there wasn't proof of terror. It's very different from saying that it conclusively was not a terrorist attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,489,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I never said that. I hadn't read that he needed to use the bathroom. The front-page NYTimes article I just read indicates that they don't know why he left the cockpit.

Still, it seems strange to me that the pilot would leave the cockpit just minutes after reaching cruising altitude unless it was an absolute emergency. You would think that a pilot would use the bathroom BEFORE taking off.
What? Wouldn't you just ASSUME he had to go to the bathroom? Do you know that I had to go to the bathroom when I was on a flight to Malaysia. It even happened when the plane still hadn't reached cruising altitude. The attendant wouldn't let me go even though I was almost peeing in my pants. I had to wait until that light went on, DING, & as soon as it did I was up & out of there like a flash. So, why would it be any different for a pilot? I don't understand why you don't seem to understand someone would have to go to the bathroom, a perfectly normal function.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,701,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The link you posted states this: "Terrorism fears quickly emerged on social media in the wake of the devastating Germanwings Flight 9525 plane crash that rattled Europe Tuesday" then this: ""There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time,” Bernadette Meehan, spokeswoman for the U.S. National Security Council, said in a statement, according to the Associated Press. The White House said U.S. officials were in contact with authorities in France, Germany and Spain regarding the plane crash that presumably left all 150 people dead. Most of the passengers were of German, Spanish and Turkish nationalities."

No mention of the White House saying a word about terrorism.
The title of the article and hundreds more, says "White House Says"
Here's the HuffPo, does that make you feel better?

Quote:
The crash of a Germanwings Airbus plane in a remote area of the French Alps on Tuesday does not appear to have been caused by a terror attack, White House said
White House: Germanwings Crash Doesn't Appear To Be A Terror Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You are still making stuff up. The White House's position is the same as the French - it does not exclude terrorism.

National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said in a statement. “There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time.”
I posted the quote in my last post. The French said they were not ruling anything out. Quoted and sourced above from an article showing the French response vs. the White House response.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,651,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What? Wouldn't you just ASSUME he had to go to the bathroom? Do you know that I had to go to the bathroom when I was on a flight to Malaysia. It even happened when the plane still hadn't reached cruising altitude. The attendant wouldn't let me go even though I was almost peeing in my pants. I had to wait until that light went on, DING, & as soon as it did I was up & out of there like a flash. So, why would it be any different for a pilot? I don't understand why you don't seem to understand someone would have to go to the bathroom, a perfectly normal function.
Dude. It is not that I don't "understand someone would have to go to the bathroom." What I am saying, and what I said completely clearly in my message, is that it seems STRANGE to me that a pilot would need to excuse himself, absent an emergency, so soon after getting to altitude.

I am not assuming anything, and I would imagine that neither are the investigators. And thank goodness for that.

At any rate, NYTimes is reporting that a Norwegian budget airline is now requiring two people in the cockpit at all times.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,419,901 times
Quote:
The White House said that it did not appear to be a terrorist attack. It did not - contrary to your repeated insinuations - categorically state that it was definitely not a terrorist attack.

There's a difference between saying something appears to be a certain way, and saying something definitely is a certain way. For example, I could say that you appear to be a mindless partisan nutbag, but that is not the same as categorically stating that you definitely are a mindless partisan nutbag.

See the difference?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Dude. It is not that I don't "understand someone would have to go to the bathroom." What I am saying, and what I said completely clearly in my message, is that it seems STRANGE to me that a pilot would need to excuse himself, absent an emergency, so soon after getting to altitude.

I am not assuming anything, and I would imagine that neither are the investigators. And thank goodness for that.

At any rate, NYTimes is reporting that a Norwegian budget airline is now requiring two people in the cockpit at all times.

A pilot on tv this morning said it's pretty common for pilots to have rituals, for instance, using the restroom as soon they get the plane to cruising altitude. He said if that was his ritual, and the co-pilot knew it from flying with him previously, that it would easy for him to plan to do this on this flight.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,651,452 times
Quote:
A pilot on tv this morning said it's pretty common for pilots to have rituals, for instance, using the restroom as soon they get the plane to cruising altitude. He said if that was his ritual, and the co-pilot knew it from flying with him previously, that it would easy for him to plan to do this on this flight.
I can understand the scenario. I don't know how much time there is between a pilot boarding a plane and take-off. It might be a while.

It seems to me that we now need to look at the security protocols on the cockpit door and how many people are required to be in the flight deck at all times. Maybe we can take some of the money we p|ss away on the TSA security theatre, and direct it toward something that might actually prevent a disaster.

You know, I don't feel much safer being required to remove my shoes when the person most likely to crash the plane is the guy behind the controls.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,821,223 times
Quote:
The link in the OP and many more attribute Obama's National Security spokesman with saying no link to terror. The White House speaks for Obama. Even the HuffPo posted a story about the "White House" saying there was no link to terror.

And while we were saying no link to terror, the French were saying it couldn't be excluded.

Were Terrorists Behind Germanwings Flight 9525 Crash? White House Says
UPDATE 1-White House: Germanwings crash doesn't appear to be terror attack

"There is no indication of a nexus to terrorism at this time," National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said.
President Barack Obama has been briefed on the crash and "U.S. officials have been in touch with French, German, and Spanish authorities and have offered assistance," she said.

You don't suppose a spokesperson for the NSC was asked by the press about the crash and whether or not it was an act of terrorism?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I can understand the scenario. I don't know how much time there is between a pilot boarding a plane and take-off. It might be a while.

It seems to me that we now need to look at the security protocols on the cockpit door and how many people are required to be in the flight deck at all times. Maybe we can take some of the money we p|ss away on the TSA security theatre, and direct it toward something that might actually prevent a disaster.

You know, I don't feel much safer being required to remove my shoes when the person most likely to crash the plane is the guy behind the controls.
US requires two people in cockpit at all times, but honestly, I don't know if there is anything that can 100% prevent someone willing to kill himself from taking down a plane.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,580,046 times
Quote:
The question I have is: why did the pilot exit the cockpit? We will probably never know the answer.
He did exit the cockpit because he had to go to the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies