Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think so, but the 2nd person arriving when one pilot leaves, makes sense. In the old days there was a navigator, or some other 3rd person, but not any more.
The articles I've read say the US requires 2 people in the cockpit at all times, so usually a flight attendant sits in the cockpit if one of the pilots has to step out for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I didn't understand why Obama came out the same day and said there was no indications of terror, since no one really knew at that point.'

Apparently you don't follow politics.

Obama has been doing this from the very beginning of his administration. Nothing new. NO ONE else is surprised.
I can't understand why some people cannot put away their hatred, for a little while anyway.

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Could this also be what happened with the missing Malaysian plane? One pilot stepped out and the other put it into the ocean? May never know...

Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can't understand why some people cannot put away their hatred, for a little while anyway.
Amen. Enough with the Obama bashing already.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Every time you step into a public conveyance from a taxi to a jetliner, you have to trust that the operator does not have a death wish. With millions of flights per year, the odds are minuscule, but this incident will have that thought crossing the minds of many passengers from now on.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Seems to have been a suicide, or a possibly a case of psychosis (marijuana induced?) but it remains to be proven.

This is one drawback to having terrorist-proof cockpit doors. Once they are locked, no one gets in. Maybe there should be a remote switch where the ground control can unlock it in situations like this.
How would you contact the person with the remote switch?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
No they ruled out heart attack because his breathing was normal. Plus, why would he lock the door???
The door is locked by a switch on the console.

German law allows pilots to leave the cockpit temporarily while cruising. I bet they take a strong look at that rule after this incident. Pilots though still have to use the facilities, since there are none in the cabin.

Some airlines require a crew member to step into the cockpit to have two people in there at all times.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
An appropriate response from the White House, imo, would be to send condolences to the families involved and wait for the investigation.
Like this?

"Our thoughts and our prayers are with our friends in Europe, especially the people of Germany and Spain, following the terrible airplane crash in France," U.S. President Barack Obama told reporters. "It's particularly heartbreaking because it apparently includes the loss of so many children, some of them infants."

I wasn't able to find his quote about it not being terrorism yet. Maybe you can direct me.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I am leaning right now towards the 'depressed' co-pilot theory (at least, it is my theory). Who knows, he may have had an ex-wife or girlfriend on the plane.

Seems like if it was 'terrorism' (i.e., the co-pilot was a member of a terrorist group) then those responsible would issue some statement or video claiming 'he was ours, beware!'.

One thought I had: what if this is a new type of 'quiet' terrorism wherein the group(s) responsible wanted to create havoc and massive loss of life before claiming responsibility by causing, through 'sleeper cell' members piloting planes, multiple such crashes in a short time period.

Of course, this theory has huge holes in it, such as them having the foresight to have members attend pilot school, getting hired, etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
No they ruled out heart attack because his breathing was normal. Plus, why would he lock the door???
Agreed, I gave it a shot, but I cannot think of any other rational possibility. It seem like this was a deliberate act to murder everyone on board.

We really need to find out who this copilot was and what might have motivated him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies