Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you racist?
Yes: Against black people 8 11.59%
Yes: Against White people 5 7.25%
Yes: Against Oriental people 1 1.45%
Yes: Against Arab/Middle Eastern People 1 1.45%
Yes: Against Others 5 7.25%
No 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

When I was 3 months old, a 15-year-old black girl saved my life. I am white, and I was choking on some milk in a bottle my mother had given me; the young girl was hired by my family to sweep the porch and do other odd jobs, after school. She heard me make some noise, saw my distress, and picked me up. I immediately proceeded to throw up sour milk all over her shirt. That's the way my mother found the 2 of us, about 5 minutes later. So I owe my life to a 15-year old black girl.

I hadn't lived even 10 years after that, when I began to have negative experiences with some black kids. I won't go into detail; most of you have had the same experiences, growing up. As I matured, I came to one inescapable conclusion: there are good and bad in every race. You can often tell just by looking at them, or listening to them. "Prejudice" means "pre-judging", and I am guilty of it.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No that would be your ASSumption! I will say this though.... when I DJ'd in the local clubs it was generally the saggy jeans wearin'... white tee wearin'.... idiots that were causing a bunch of the riff raft! Ever wonder why most clubs have dress codes restricting those things along with dew rags, and hoodies, and flat billed ball caps? Is everyone who wears baggy pants or listens to rap a shady person? No. Of course not. And you and I know it goes deeper than that. But you know what they say about first impressions. All that aside, I'm a pretty good judge of character, and tend to treat people on an individual level. But I can generally tell if I want to associate with a particular individual or not.
It's not an assumption, that's what was stated in that poster's post. Perhaps you should have read it in it's entirety before rushing to defend it.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Looks like most people are not racist.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Most on these boards dont even know what racist means....

Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
This poll is pure garbage and doesn't in any way, shape or form represent real world feelings on this topic.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
When I was 3 months old, a 15-year-old black girl saved my life. I am white, and I was choking on some milk in a bottle my mother had given me; the young girl was hired by my family to sweep the porch and do other odd jobs, after school. She heard me make some noise, saw my distress, and picked me up. I immediately proceeded to throw up sour milk all over her shirt. That's the way my mother found the 2 of us, about 5 minutes later. So I owe my life to a 15-year old black girl.

I hadn't lived even 10 years after that, when I began to have negative experiences with some black kids. I won't go into detail; most of you have had the same experiences, growing up. As I matured, I came to one inescapable conclusion: there are good and bad in every race. You can often tell just by looking at them, or listening to them. "Prejudice" means "pre-judging", and I am guilty of it.
Thanks for sharing and I appreciate your honesty.

In early elementary school I went to an all white school (only 2 black families). I experienced racism. Got into fights. Got called names. But there were also a ton of white kids who were my friends. So while I grew up knowing about racism, I knew it wasn't all white people and my best friend at the time was white.

I didn't experience that much racism, and there's definitely a lot more that are not racist, than are.

It's frustrating now to be judged based upon my race when I've done so much to overcome the negative stereotypes. I went to college, graduated with honors, have never lost a job and now run 3 businesses. I don't go out (work ALL the time), don't do anything crazy, but am still being harassed, profiled and setup (yes, won't go into detail) all because some cop who doesn't know me thinks I'm a drug dealer.

I can't help it if I'm a physically big guy who has a beard and dresses down. I was a college fullback, don't have to shave for my jobs, and I don't like to dress up.

Sue me.

I really do hate racism. I think people should be proud of their accomplishments, not something they were born into and had no control over.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
In Ameirica, Class and Race are just about one and the same. It is not possible to be "class-ist" and not also racist. Get out of town with that. Own your racism. Its ok. It's just an anonymous online interaction.
You are wrong. My adopted kids' birth family are all 100% Caucasian (as far as I know anyway), and they are as low class as you can imagine -- drug addicts, on welfare for generations, felons, etc. On the other hand, I have many black and Hispanic acquaintances whom I greatly respect.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'm a culturalist... I would rather not be around people who blast rap music, have their pants down to their knees.. I find these people have a tendency towards violence and also drug use (not that I support the war on drugs) compared to people who don't do these things. Whether their skin color is black or white doesn't really matter much to me... their behavior does...
Im a culturalist as well. And have no problem with rap music. Its an art form. Just as Impressionalism and Abstract, Landscape, Portrait painting. One must get an understanding of these forms of art and may choose a favorite they appreciate the most. A culturalist, or rather a culturalist in the truest sense, whom appreciates all cultures and sub-cultures intimately and from afar by at least getting an understanding of culturalisms, would not have stated what you did. I don't think you are a culturalist at all. I think you like what you like. And to educate you on the audience of rap, its majority white miidle to upper class kids. Your'e welcome.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Well maybe a little.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 PM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Do people still wear Polos?
We do here at my office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies