Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

Let's be honest, you, sir, don't give a rats' butt about black on black violence. In fact, as long as they don't harm your own people, you encourage them to continue such behavior. Am I right or am I right?

Mick

Mick, you could not be more wrong.......we ABSOLUTELY care ! An innocent 5 year old black boy was shot and killed locally in a drive by, and the whole community, black and white, mourned his death. A little black girl was sleeping in her bed and a stray bullet hit her in the head and killed her, that hurt us all.

You are right that when I go to an ATM I have to keep looking over my shoulder, but we also hate hearing stories of how a carload of blacks pulled up to another carload of blacks and emptied their 9's into that car. Things like this are not just a blight on the black community, they affect all of us. It is an absolute shame that so many decent blacks are in fear of retaliation that they will not come forward to turn in someone who they know committed a crime.

No, Mick, we DO care, sometimes more than you will know.

Don

Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
How do you know it's a hands off subject in these communities, which you aren't a part of? The thing is if you don't know any blacks outside of associates and coworkers and you don't reside in these communities then you have no clue what's being discussed or addressed. The media doesn't shine the light or represent every aspect of what's occurring in these communities. And I know off the top of my head as a ya know actual black person that this is being discussed. The thing is, it just isn't being discussed with you.

There are many programs, initiatives and people speaking up about these issues. But again you wouldn't know it, esp. if your relying on the media to tell you. The fact that you think it's untouched or not talked about in these communities let's me know that your on the outside. Without a clue.

It's amusing. You most likely have never stepped foot in a predominantly black community long enough to find out what's being discussed or done have you? Do you get insights about blacks from the media? Or Sharpton? Or both. And you actually think that this means that you know what isn't being talked about?

I don't live in these communities but I know of those living in and living out of these communities that certainly talk about it, speak up, and DO things to address the issues.

The real problem is that the discussion isn't happening with whites and so some of you think that because it isn't being discussed with YOU that isn't being discussed amongst blacks. The truth is that unless it involves a white person, black on black crime would not be a discussion that would involve whites. Perhaps that sounds cold but I'm being honest-you don't know what's being talked about amongst other blacks because unless it involves you, why would you be needed in the discussion?

If you really want to know more why not go into these areas where black on black crime happen and find out from the community what there thoughts are?
Glad you covered that one and I agree 100%.

The poster must have missed where one of Hip Hop's biggest rappers pre-released a track covering that very issue. Or why there was a split in The Movement and and how those who don't repeat a particular mantra, won't get any air time.

But it's all good. Word on the street is the black youth have their own media outlet now.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
@darkenlightenment, I'd point out those countries' poverty rates and high rates of disease and incompetent government. In the countries that aren't "third-world", I'd point that many of them, while one could argue race relations are better there than here (France, UK, etc), I'd point out these countries all have their own ugly histories of black oppression...

@don, I never said we were the 'only' discriminated against culture here. What I said was no other group of people has been as persecuted as blacks. It's very difficult to argue against that...

You have a very unappealing habit of over-generalizing and stereotyping. "Black men think nothing of impregnating multiple women"; "black women think having a baby daddy is the way to go". Are you serious? I mean, really? There is truth between the lines of what you said, put you statement is invalid as it kinda shows you get all your perceptions of black life from media....there is a real world out there, and real blacks you can meet and talk to deepen the breadth of your "concern" for blacks....

I made no "woe is me" argument. We do have to accept responsibility to a large degree. And I am very vocal in my personal belief that this country is improving every year in race relations, and that it is easier to be black today than it was 20 years ago. However, I don't sit and pretend that there isn't an establishment against the betterment of blacks in many arenas, cultural barriers that prevent, or make it extremely hard, for blacks to succeed. I would say that maybe you have to be black to know this, but many whites seem to understand this as well----you just don't.

@jazz, you really said you'd rather a black kill another black than a white? Did you even listen to how this sounds, or you spoke without thinking?

The people on this site are a reflection of people in real life. You guys are a trip...

Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I also don't know what is going on at ground zero in these areas but hope there is something happening. This is the residual effects of slavery and the saddest thing is there really is no good solution. I salute any that are personally involved in the effort to improve this. This is a great country, I wish we ALL had the same chances to try and take advantages of what we have now. This truly is the greatest time to be alive and things are getting better just not fast enough for some of our black brothers and sisters.
Something that I've never understood: if this is the residual effects of slavery, why did black neighborhoods become worse and worse as time went on? There weren't kids shooting at each other in the streets in the 1950s and 60s.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:57 AM

344 posts, read 416,756 times
I don't have all the answers Lou just sadness at the hopelessness. I was born a poor white boy and a little hard work and family support got me to a good place. I wish success for anyone willing to improve themselves but fear some parts of some groups are too far gone.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Just a bit as in the actual statistics. There is a difference of approximately 5-7%.
Um, it is WAY higher! You do realize the black population is only 14%.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM

244 posts, read 248,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Genes. Why, why, tell them that it's human nature. The black race as a whole tends to be more violent. The black race also tends to have more rhythm. It just is that way.
Don't you mean 3/5 human nature?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Try killing white people and see how pissed off people get!
Hello, not very. It happens all the time and no one protests or riots. You barely see it on the news. Like the guy out walking his dog who was recently killed by black teens. Very sad but WAY under publicized.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Something that I've never understood: if this is the residual effects of slavery, why did black neighborhoods become worse and worse as time went on? There weren't kids shooting at each other in the streets in the 1950s and 60s.
The welfare state hurt black families. It demanded that the father be absent and everyone played along to the detriment of the black family.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Mick, you could not be more wrong.......we ABSOLUTELY care ! An innocent 5 year old black boy was shot and killed locally in a drive by, and the whole community, black and white, mourned his death. A little black girl was sleeping in her bed and a stray bullet hit her in the head and killed her, that hurt us all.

You are right that when I go to an ATM I have to keep looking over my shoulder, but we also hate hearing stories of how a carload of blacks pulled up to another carload of blacks and emptied their 9's into that car. Things like this are not just a blight on the black community, they affect all of us. It is an absolute shame that so many decent blacks are in fear of retaliation that they will not come forward to turn in someone who they know committed a crime.

No, Mick, we DO care, sometimes more than you will know.

Don
I don't get this "You don't care about black-on-black violence!" line either. Do you think that anyone wants large sections of their metro area to be war zones? Wouldn't it be better to be able to live anywhere in your city without having to worry about whether or not that neighborhood hosts gun fights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies