Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

National parks, national forests, all of it, some people in Congress want to sell it off. Which is disgusting. Take Action: Votes Today on the Sale of Public Land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
A lot of public land should be sold off. What's the big deal?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I bet the best property goes to political insiders at discount pricing

Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
A lot of public land should be sold off. What's the big deal?
I'm betting you didn't read the article and the reason for the call of action.

There are some lands the government probably should sell. My problem here is with these cowards that take the position of selling lands to balance the budget as opposed to stop bombing other lands.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm betting you didn't read the article and the reason for the call of action.

There are some lands the government probably should sell. My problem here is with these cowards that take the position of selling lands to balance the budget as opposed to stop bombing other lands.
I read the article. The author gives no specifics on which federal lands are possibly going to be sold off, other than to say "including national forests, wilderness areas, national wildlife refuges, historical sites and other important conservation lands..."

Considering that I've seen "important" conservation lands which are basically barren wastelands with no appeal to hunters or fishermen, I have a hard time falling in behind this group which can't even bother to tell us which federal lands are possibly endangered. Quite frankly, if the government wants to sell of the Death Valley National Park, I say more power to them. There are numerous other sites in the United States which, imo, can also be sold with no major loss to hunters or anglers.

Now, if the author would like to go into specifics rather than just engage in fear-mongering, I might feel differently. However, the way the article is written makes the author look a lot like Chicken Little or the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I read the article. The author gives no specifics on which federal lands are possibly going to be sold off, other than to say "including national forests, wilderness areas, national wildlife refuges, historical sites and other important conservation lands..."

Considering that I've seen "important" conservation lands which are basically barren wastelands with no appeal to hunters or fishermen, I have a hard time falling in behind this group which can't even bother to tell us which federal lands are possibly endangered. Quite frankly, if the government wants to sell of the Death Valley National Park, I say more power to them. There are numerous other sites in the United States which, imo, can also be sold with no major loss to hunters or anglers.

Now, if the author would like to go into specifics rather than just engage in fear-mongering, I might feel differently. However, the way the article is written makes the author look a lot like Chicken Little or the Boy Who Cried Wolf.
You're just flat wrong. Big business interests have been pushing for years to be allowed to take our public lands to plunder and destroy them. And there are people in congress more than happy to oblige. It's not just an issue either of what lands are best for hunters or anglers either. It's about having the freedom to see, hike, explore and not have wall to wall development everywhere or a fence and gate up because someone claims it as private property. It's something that has always made this country different and more free.

Just because you don't know what you're looking at doesn't make a piece of land less important.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're just flat wrong. Big business interests have been pushing for years to be allowed to take our public lands to plunder and destroy them. And there are people in congress more than happy to oblige. It's not just an issue either of what lands are best for hunters or anglers either. It's about having the freedom to see, hike, explore and not have wall to wall development everywhere or a fence and gate up because someone claims it as private property. It's something that has always made this country different and more free.

Just because you don't know what you're looking at doesn't make a piece of land less important.
It has nothing to do with importance, it has to do with usability. If there is a Federal Park or Conservation Area sitting in the middle of a desert and the FedGov wants to offload it to someone who wishes to make it a solar or wind farm, more power to them.

However, the argument is moot because - as I mentioned previously - even the author doesn't appear to know which lands are potentially up for sale. The article is nothing more than someone crying "fire" in a crowded theatre and hoping for a reaction.

Want me to give an opinion on whether or not particular lands should be sold? Find an article which actually lists what land is in danger and link that, rather than the linked sensationalist drivel written by some individual who can't even bother with doing their due diligence and researching the issue well enough to write comprehensively about the subject.

By the way, I write as someone who grew up on property which bordered a fairly large state park in the Ozarks and appreciates public land just as much as the next person. On the other hand, I also feel that the Federal government should not be in the real estate holding business. Parks and public lands should be held and maintained at the state level, not the national.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Selling all public land and mineral rights to the highest bidders was a part of the Ron Paul plan to reduce the debt and get the federal government out of the business and cost of maintaining the parks. This would mean the majority of Alaska would become privately- owned.

Grand Koch Canyon Park

Great Sheldon Adelson Smoky Mountain Park

Soros Glacier Park

Putin Yosemite Park

China Yellowstone Park

Several states and municipalities have sold long term tolling and parking revenue rights to temporarily balance their budgets. Most of these deals were give-a-ways and tolls and meter rates went thru the roof.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

I usually disagree with you, but this is spot-on!
The earth is not ours to plunder for a few to profit. We should be stewards, and knowing what we do now, giving it back better than we got it. We are living on borrowed time here. We have an obligation to not ruin and kill everything living for the sake of temporary convenience. Humans are the most dangerous and unnecessary species on the planet. It's time we know our place and act accordingly.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 AM

191 posts, read 171,923 times
The Federal Government always has sold some Federal lands. The city of Las Vegas is built on former BLM land. Murkowski's amendment has to do with the transfer of Federal Lands to states. After the land is transferred states can administer or sell the former Federal lands. Her amendment makes the transfers "revenue neutral" which I am guessing would require states to pay all the fees involved in transferring land. In the House Republicans are willing to have taxpayers on the hook for $50 million dollars in transfer fees. Wait till we have a Republican President and Republicans in control of both houses. I would look at Utah, Alaska, and Montana getting control of former Federal lands. The vote on Murkowski's amendment fell on party lines with three Republicans crossing over to join Dems and two independents. I can understand why hunters, fishermen, and other outdoor users would be first in line to oppose the sale. Who likes running into fences and NO TRESSPASSING signs.

Senate Votes To Help States Sell Off Public Lands | ThinkProgress

Did the GOP Just Give Away $130 Billion of Public Property? | The Nation#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies