Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Umm... that wasn't in the OP's post. You said that.
Ummm...it was a question...and a proposition. You're having difficulty understanding simple conversation, or you're just looking to pick a fight. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:28 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes, the rallying cry of those who want to see individual states or even cities battle it out for a race to the bottom.
No, try thinking positive. The "majority" of people on welfare/handouts/whatever are capable of taking responsibility for themselves. When one actually works and becomes independent, one gains tremendous self-respect and good feeling about accomplishment. That's human nature. That is what created America and what gives any one the ability to feel good about themselves, which leads to more incentive, which leads to a better life. Do you have a problem with that? I don't.

I believe everyone should have the opportunity and actually the responsibility to accomplish success that gives them a better life and opens doors to enjoy and progress.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Anyone ever give any thought to the fact that those on welfare and gimme, gimme from Government are voting from a "conflict-of-interest" position? These people expect working people to pay their taxes which now include higher taxes in order to pay the welfare to those not earning their way by taking responsibility for themselves.

Food for thought! We can't take their vote away, so the alternative is to make a way for them to take responsibility for themselves. Welfare and any give away should be in the hands of entities at local levels...never Federal or State governments and very little in County and less in City. Only locals know who really needs help and why!
Other than an authoritarian government, how do you propose we "make" people take responsibility for themselves?

Only locals know? How big is your town? Those of us who live in cities have a different take on things.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
All I want to do is earn a paycheck, put my money in a low-risk savings account, not have to worry about its value being inflated away by the government printing money to pay for warfare and welfare, and then I want to be able to buy assets with those savings and not have to worry about those assets being taken away or taxed to death. I want to pay only foe the government services that I use.

Why does the government punish people like me? Why does it instead reward people who don't work or who spend more than they make?
I agree with you except for the part that I bolded.

Unfortunately, people cannot "pick and choose" what services they are willing to pay for, or there very likely would not be money available for the more unpopular functions that government administers (such as collecting taxes to pay for the services we DO want).

For example, if it were possible, I would choose my taxes to be allocated as follows:

Health Services (including medical research and health protection): 25%
Education and the Arts: 25%
Welfare (including Disability and Social Services): 5%
Foreign Involvement (including foreign aid and military presence): 10%
Domestic Protection (FEMA, National Guard, etc.): 3%
Justice (prisons, courts, immigration enforcement, DHS, etc.): 10%
Agriculture (including Forestry and National Parks): 5%
Commerce: 1%
Transportation: 15%
Administration: 1%

I think it would be interesting to see the results of of a poll or study that asked how other U.S. citizens would choose to have their taxes spent if it were up to them.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-30-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I agree with you except for the part that I bolded.

Unfortunately, people cannot "pick and choose" what services they are willing to pay for, or there very likely would not be money available for the more unpopular functions that government administers (such as collecting taxes) to pay for the services we DO want.

I think would be interesting, though, to see the results of a study on how people would allocate their money if they could choose from the following:

Health Services (including medical research)
Education and the Arts
Welfare (including Disability and Social Services)
Foreign Involvement (including military overseas)
Domestic Protection (FEMA, National Guard, etc.)
Justice (prisons, courts, immigration enforcement, DHS, etc.)
Agriculture (including Forestry and National Parks)
Commerce
Transportation
Administration
Etc.

For example, if it were possible, I would choose my taxes to be allocated as follows:

Health Services (including medical research and health protection): 25%
Education and the Arts: 25%
Welfare (including Disability and Social Services): 5%
Foreign Involvement (including foreign aid and military presence): 10%
Domestic Protection (FEMA, National Guard, etc.): 3%
Justice (prisons, courts, immigration enforcement, DHS, etc.): 10%
Agriculture (including Forestry and National Parks): 5%
Commerce: 1%
Transportation: 15%
Administration: 1%
I applaud your dedication. Myself, I hate shopping.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Oh really?

Why does the government punish people like me? Why does it instead reward people who don't work or who spend more than they make?

Since when is taking care of yourself a reward?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Ummm...it was a question...and a proposition. You're having difficulty understanding simple conversation, or you're just looking to pick a fight. Good luck with that.
Last comment from me on this - you suggested that he may be looking to be rewarded. He didn't say that.

Quote:
All I want to do is earn a paycheck, put my money in a low-risk savings account, not have to worry about its value being inflated away by the government printing money to pay for warfare and welfare, and then I want to be able to buy assets with those savings and not have to worry about those assets being taken away or taxed to death. I want to pay only foe the government services that I use.

Quote:
If you're looking to be rewarded, you've answered your own question. Quit your job and go on welfare. Your words, not mine.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:

Sorry buddy. If you don't have as much money as Mitt Romney, then clearly you aren't as smart and/or hard working as he is.

My advice: go on welfare. I'm told that those folks eat steak every night and live in luxury condos.

Well what are you waiting for?

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
If the government stopped interfering with your life people would soon realize that those in political power are not only not to be trusted, they're not needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Since when is taking care of yourself a reward?
You quoted me, but the italicized words were from the OP.

The OP uses the terms punishment and reward. I rarely use those terms, so you should ask him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies