Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not understanding sarcasm as a literary tool is clueless.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
We raise poultry - lots of it. We raise chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese. They are mostly heritage breeds, and raised mostly on pasture. They have an excellent quality of life at our place, plenty of room, outdoors in safe enclosures, and when the time comes to harvest them, they are killed humanely. I personally see that they are quickly dispatched, and allowed to fully bleed out, before any "processing" begins. Many of them live in excess of a year; we still have birds that I raised in a brooder last spring.

This meat does not go to waste. In addition to what my family uses, they are sold to metro restaurants that cannot get poultry of this quality. The flavor is noticeably better than anything found in supermarkets. The restaurant chefs really appreciate having great quality to work with. The patrons really enjoy having superior flavor and texture in their meats.

I am of the opinion that what one eats, is one's own decision. The vegan vs carnivore is likely never going to be settled. The best that can be hoped for is that each side respect the rights of the other, and not interfere with those rights. Be kind to your fellow man, as well as to your fellow creatures.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

I'm powered by the magic bean
Quote:
Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So we have beans at every meal!
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back to your regularly scheduled debate. I'm off to make a grilled ham n cheese sandwich for lunch.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you think deer can be put on birth control????

Deer is a natural part of the food chain...........it is as simple as that.
It's getting away from the OP but.......As a matter of fact, deer can be put on birth control - http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...tion/pill1.htm

Often deer population are managed by state game commissions and can be artificially manipulated by creating open areas of forest by clear cutting and creating clearings to encourage the "edge" type browsing that deer prefer in forests. From the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries: "Openings in a forested area encourage the production of preferred food plants and may compensate for yearly and seasonal fluctuations in food supplies, like acorns. Natural openings in forests should be maintained. Openings of one to three acres in size should be created, and be strategically located throughout an area to provide diversity and edge."

In some areas this was done solely for sport recreation and to increase hunting revenues. If we'd stop playing with nature, nature would take care of itself............but it's too late for that now. In many areas there is no place for apex predators anymore.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We raise poultry - lots of it. We raise chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese. They are mostly heritage breeds, and raised mostly on pasture. They have an excellent quality of life at our place, plenty of room, outdoors in safe enclosures, and when the time comes to harvest them, they are killed humanely. I personally see that they are quickly dispatched, and allowed to fully bleed out, before any "processing" begins. Many of them live in excess of a year; we still have birds that I raised in a brooder last spring.

This meat does not go to waste. In addition to what my family uses, they are sold to metro restaurants that cannot get poultry of this quality. The flavor is noticeably better than anything found in supermarkets. The restaurant chefs really appreciate having great quality to work with. The patrons really enjoy having superior flavor and texture in their meats.

I am of the opinion that what one eats, is one's own decision. The vegan vs carnivore is likely never going to be settled. The best that can be hoped for is that each side respect the rights of the other, and not interfere with those rights. Be kind to your fellow man, as well as to your fellow creatures.
Right.

When people taste food from good sources they are often amazed at how good it tastes. Even the lowly egg is very different gathered from free range chickens vs chicken farms where confined quarters are the norm.

One problem we have in this country is our capacity to waste food. A chicken can feed a family for days when properly butchered and prepared in everything from drumsticks to soups. Some of the best parts of a chicken are often wasted and thrown out but in times past, everything was used.

Eat what you want. If someone doesn't like meat, good for them but that is their choice, just as the choice to eat meat is okay too.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It's getting away from the OP but.......As a matter of fact, deer can be put on birth control - http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...tion/pill1.htm

Often deer population are managed by state game commissions and can be artificially manipulated by creating open areas of forest by clear cutting and creating clearings to encourage the "edge" type browsing that deer prefer in forests. From the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries: "Openings in a forested area encourage the production of preferred food plants and may compensate for yearly and seasonal fluctuations in food supplies, like acorns. Natural openings in forests should be maintained. Openings of one to three acres in size should be created, and be strategically located throughout an area to provide diversity and edge."

In some areas this was done solely for sport recreation and to increase hunting revenues. If we'd stop playing with nature, nature would take care of itself............but it's too late for that now. In many areas there is no place for apex predators anymore.
Yeah, humans have such a good track record messing with nature. Now birth control for the deer.

Here's a better idea, birth control for people so they don't need to encroach on every place on the planet.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back to your regularly scheduled debate. I'm off to make a grilled ham n cheese sandwich for lunch.
I love those..........on homemade bread.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post

That is a controlled area.........nothing like where we live.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I had worked 19 years in a beef packing plant (......." mass meat processing facility"......) and it is not torture

Do not paint with a wide brush
You are right and I apologize. I should has said *many* but not all. It goes beyond meat processing as well. The large scale livestock farms where animals wallow in filth is another example. Again, not every farm is like this but a large number are. It's places like these that are "torture".

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,519,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Thanks for providing good quality meat.
And thank you for taking care of a living being on this planet as it should!

What you described as how you do your farming, is where I get my meat and poultry from.
I have been going to the same guy for over 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.