Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,535,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Oh geez! chickens that are sold in grocery stores are not raised in cages but in chicken houses where there is plenty of room. These chickens are only 5 weeks and 6 days to 6 weeks old before they are transported from the plant to your grocery store, certainly not enough time for their nails to grow.
Chickens or any type of bird pick on the weakest in their group, if you ever raised chickens instead of just reading propaganda you would know that. And yes I have raised chickens, free ranging plus we have ducks now that wander all over the neighborhood.
There are horrible photos on the web showing awful conditions the chickens live in . Many of them are the egg laying birds. These photos do not lie. I wish it was propaganda. It is the truth.

Scroll down past the comforting photos of the lives the chickens should be living to the reality in the other photos lower down. I will understand if you do not want to see it.

Chicken Exploitation - Animal Exploitation Photo Journal and Gallery from All-Creatures.org

Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM

18,150 posts, read 15,566,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Oh geez! chickens that are sold in grocery stores are not raised in cages but in chicken houses where there is plenty of room. These chickens are only 5 weeks and 6 days to 6 weeks old before they are transported from the plant to your grocery store, certainly not enough time for their nails to grow.
Chickens or any type of bird pick on the weakest in their group, if you ever raised chickens instead of just reading propaganda you would know that. And yes I have raised chickens, free ranging plus we have ducks now that wander all over the neighborhood.
Oh yea. Lol...chickens are pretty damn aggressive. We are always having to seperate birds that are getting picked on. Left to their own devices, they will regularly turn cannibal. Our rangers mill snakes, mice, you name it. We had a tomato work invasion, last Summer. Buckets full of them went to the chickens. Fleshy bits of horn worm , flying everywhere, as they fought over them.

It really is amazing, how much better the meat is when they eat free range. We put out pellets for the egg layers, and scratch.layer pellet. Still, I can bake a bird, and only get a tablespoon of grease off it. Foster Farms can't do that. And the birds, pretty much, just do what comes natural. Its not a ..productive..enough method for feeding lots of people, though.

To bad we can't just all raise various things, plant and animal, and trade amongst ourselves. Eggs for beef, beef for pork, pork for Elk and so on. Twixt raising and hunting, we eat good. Better than most, IMO. We'd be better off, food wise, if weived more simple. There was almost zero mistreatment of meat animals in the old days. They were valuable. As were working animals. Them that did mistreat their animals were blackballed. Nobody would deal with them. They were pariahs. Held in contempt.

As it should be. Alas, those days are gone,largely. Still a few of us out here. Farmers markets and roadside produce stands are history. Shame, that. Some would say its a good thing. The government is making sure our food is safe, and we aren't eating "unapproved" food. That's nice of them.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM

124 posts, read 141,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Spend the extra money for free range and/or organic chicken (and eggs) if you don't want to support those chicken factories. Buy it from a natural foods place. The product is better anyway.

You don't have to give up chicken.

I agree 100%! I balance my meat ingestion with lots of veggies. Usually, there's more veggies than meat on my plate.

I only eat chicken from Mary's Organic or Bell & Evans. Bell & Evans have a superb track record treating poultry humanely, compared to others. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhx6mheRWjU

Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 835 times
THIS IS INDUSTRY STANDARD.
This will spare you research:
Earthlings // Feature | Earthlings

Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 835 times
Default Don't let them fool you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
I agree 100%! I balance my meat ingestion with lots of veggies. Usually, there's more veggies than meat on my plate.

I only eat chicken from Mary's Organic or Bell & Evans. Bell & Evans have a superb track record treating poultry humanely, compared to others. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhx6mheRWjU

Is this way of life acceptable for your family pet? Also, do they say what happens to the male chicks? The majority are immediately discarded b/c they do not contribute to egg production. And all that soy and corn they are consuming is responsible for horrendous environmental degradation. There is no viable argument for supporting the meat industry. "Humane," or otherwise, except that you just don't care. I have only recently become aware of "the facts," and it is undeniably appalling.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,103,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Meat is murder.. go vegan...

and for all the right reasons

Better health
Better planet
Better bellies
Do you know that plants "scream" when you barbarically rend them limb from limb!?

PLANTS ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!
Say NO to speciasm!
REJECT plant murder!!!!

MURDERER!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,968,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Eat them?
No. Torture them.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 PM

18,150 posts, read 15,566,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasch View Post
Is this way of life acceptable for your family pet? Also, do they say what happens to the male chicks? The majority are immediately discarded b/c they do not contribute to egg production. And all that soy and corn they are consuming is responsible for horrendous environmental degradation. There is no viable argument for supporting the meat industry. "Humane," or otherwise, except that you just don't care. I have only recently become aware of "the facts," and it is undeniably appalling.
And, you "care"? About all those millions of chickens out there? And what is it you think is going to happen, because of that? You figure on the US "leading the way" , again. America will give up its taste for fried chicken, and all other nations will follow? No more chicken Kiev or Kung Pao will ever be prepared again.

Seriously, I do NOT understand the rationale behind this. It defies all logical thinking and no formula computes. The US is the only country that a "movement" like this could EVER hope to see any press. That's not a good thing, BTW. It means the inmatesare running the institution. Do, please, try this inane babble in China, Russia, Japan or any number of other "civilized" nations, and see how far it gets. You would be laughed out of any circles with anything resembling human brains. And life will go on. (Sigh) yep...only in America.

Starting to feel a bit alone, or at least, severely, outnumbered, yet? This "animal rights" stuff carries ZERO weight, anywhere but the US. And then, only when politically expedient. . Try selling this crap in the Phillipines, or anywhere in Asia, for that matter. The regulation placed on average folks raising chickens , here, would be seen with incredulity, at the least. Not to mention large scale food processing. That the government cares what you do with a barnyard bunch of birds, free range, for your OWN consumption boggles me, let alone folks who depend on such animals for food. Oh, and that's a LOT of folks..BTW.Even here , in this beacon of ethereal light, we call the USA.

Sheesh! The "animal rights" crowd needs to wake up from this dream, induced by I know not what.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,654,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Do you know that plants "scream" when you barbarically rend them limb from limb!?

PLANTS ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!
Say NO to speciasm!
REJECT plant murder!!!!

MURDERER!
You are just being stupid and you know it.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,654,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
And, you "care"? About all those millions of chickens out there? And what is it you think is going to happen, because of that? You figure on the US "leading the way" , again. America will give up its taste for fried chicken, and all other nations will follow? No more chicken Kiev or Kung Pao will ever be prepared again.

Seriously, I do NOT understand the rationale behind this. It defies all logical thinking and no formula computes. The US is the only country that a "movement" like this could EVER hope to see any press. That's not a good thing, BTW. It means the inmatesare running the institution. Do, please, try this inane babble in China, Russia, Japan or any number of other "civilized" nations, and see how far it gets. You would be laughed out of any circles with anything resembling human brains. And life will go on. (Sigh) yep...only in America.

Starting to feel a bit alone, or at least, severely, outnumbered, yet? This "animal rights" stuff carries ZERO weight, anywhere but the US. And then, only when politically expedient. . Try selling this crap in the Phillipines, or anywhere in Asia, for that matter. The regulation placed on average folks raising chickens , here, would be seen with incredulity, at the least. Not to mention large scale food processing. That the government cares what you do with a barnyard bunch of birds, free range, for your OWN consumption boggles me, let alone folks who depend on such animals for food. Oh, and that's a LOT of folks..BTW.Even here , in this beacon of ethereal light, we call the USA.

Sheesh! The "animal rights" crowd needs to wake up from this dream, induced by I know not what.
Eating meat is what defies all logic, unless you are in a survival situation or you are a hedonist. You cannot justify eating meat logically without justifying eating humans at the same time, unless you revert to speciesist arguments, which are based in illogic themselves. What makes it okay to treat a pig terriblly, then kill it and eat it purely to satisfy your tastebuds? The only reasonable argument could be that it is because we are more intelligent then them. However, pigs are more intelligent than toddlers so we should be able to do worse to toddlers then to pigs if that is your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies