Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM

260 posts, read 216,705 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been posted and asked before. I hear a lot about it,pro and con. It seems that many Republicans oppose common core,while most Dems and teachers unions support it. Not having kids,I don't pay a lot of attention to education issues. As a moderately conservative Republican,I generally believe less federal involvement is better,particularly in education. Still,since the feds are involved,strong standards should be set. Not sure what to think on the issue really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Not much is really changed in content with regards to CC.
What has changed is that there is more testing and the teachers will be held to blame for students failing.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,391,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
Sorry if this has been posted and asked before. I hear a lot about it,pro and con. It seems that many Republicans oppose common core,while most Dems and teachers unions support it. Not having kids,I don't pay a lot of attention to education issues. As a moderately conservative Republican,I generally believe less federal involvement is better,particularly in education. Still,since the feds are involved,strong standards should be set. Not sure what to think on the issue really.
I like Common Core's intent. In other words, states implementing Common Core are supposedly teaching the same standards with the same rigor. For example, Iowa teachers may teach their 4th graders how to use area model or the lattice method when multiplying as a strategy for helping student multiply large numbers, where as Mississippi teachers may not mutliply large numbers at all in the 4th grade, but could teach the lattice method or area model to their older 6th graders. I think that was one of Common Core's intent in that sense. In other words, all states should have very similar rigorous instruction and expectations of students.

I think that some of the thinking behind Common Core is to make student do more problem solving while justifying their answers. For example, I used to be able to teach action verbs, and ask my students to identify the action verb in a sentence. Once my students did, I moved on. Now what I have to do is once a student identifies an action verb in a sentence, I have to ask the student to justify his answer by telling me or explaining how he or she knows the word that was identified is an action verb. The same concept applies to Math and all other subject areas.

The people, who seem against it, in my opinion are the ones who feel that problem solving and justifying answers are too hard for students, especially elementary aged students. Working at an inner city school, I personally like how students are required to problem solve and justify their thinking and answers. This will make them retain the information more and really understand concepts that were just introduced without any in depth thinking behind what they were learning. Also, most students that I service don't speak English as their primary language and many of their parents don't either.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM

15,574 posts, read 10,284,593 times
Bottom line, our students rank last in the industrial world. Look it up.

I, like you, don't care either. Our country deserves what they have voted for including supporting public school teachers unions who turn out dumb students.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,391,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Bottom line, our students rank last in the industrial world. Look it up.

I, like you, don't care either. Our country deserves what they have voted for including supporting public school teachers unions who turn out dumb students.
You wanna know why we rank last. We TEST EVERYONE--SPECIAL NEEDS, SPECIAL ED., students who are not fluent in English. You name it, we test ALL regardless if the students are able to pass. Those other ranked countries mainly test their college prep students.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 AM

24,624 posts, read 19,039,113 times
Quote:
As a moderately conservative Republican,I generally believe less federal involvement is better,particularly in education.
Quote:
Still,since the feds are involved,strong standards should be set. Not sure what to think on the issue really.
Sorry, you are not a Conservative, so quit pretending.

Quote:
Sorry if this has been posted and asked before. I hear a lot about it,pro and con. It seems that many Republicans oppose common core,while most Dems and teachers unions support it. Not having kids,I don't pay a lot of attention to education issues.
Which part of US Constitution do you not understand?

Why don't you read the Land Ordinance of 1785 and the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 and then read the 9th Amendment and 10th Amendment to the US Constitution and get back to us, instead of pretending to be a Conservative.

If you really are a Conservative, then you should be familiar with Jeffersonian Republic.

You should also know that Jefferson only used the word "democracy" like three times in his entire life, in his writings on government (so when someone mentions "Jeffersonian Democracy" you know they're full of it).

You should know then, that Jefferson and others desired to have pure democracy practiced at the township level, which was one of the many purposes of the Land Ordinance of 1785 and the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, which created townships.

In addition to all townships being exactly the same size in area, they had one other thing in common and that was land set aside and dedicated specifically for public education.

Since the system of public education was already established at the time the Constitutions was drafted, and since the Constitution intentionally ignores public education, it falls under the 9th and 10th Amendment.

It's up to the individual school boards for each township in the US (and there are 90,000+ townships) to decide the curriculum, not the national-government-masquerading-as-a-federal-government.

As a wannabe-Conservative, you need to be working on ending meddling by the national government in schools, instead of bending over backwards to expedite the Dictatorship.

Pedagogically...

Mircea

Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Anyone asking what the big deal is in common core, clearly hasnt had the luxury of experiencing it..

Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,582,058 times
Common Core is not just something that Conservatives oppose. Most teacher I know also oppose it as do many parents, liberals, conservatives and independents alike. There are concerns about some of the curriculum and testing not being developmentally appropriate. There are concerns about the corporations in charge of the curriculum and testing data mining student information. There are problems with taking control away from local districts, teachers, states, etc. and instead putting everything under Federal and Corporate control. There are concerns about the amount of time that is spent with testing and preparing for testing.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,582,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone asking what the big deal is in common core, clearly hasnt had the luxury of experiencing it..
So true.

I have a child in school and some of the math homework that I see is ridiculous. A lot of it is overly complicated and overly confusing. Some of it is definitely not developmentally appropriate. Sometimes we just skip the math homework and do something else math related like memorizing times tables, etc. I think it's good for kids to understand the why's and how's of a math problem but the way that some of the Common Core curriculum goes about it is beyond ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You wanna know why we rank last. We TEST EVERYONE--SPECIAL NEEDS, SPECIAL ED., students who are not fluent in English. You name it, we test ALL regardless if the students are able to pass. Those other ranked countries mainly test their college prep students.
But this was our doing to test everyone.

We used to track. But now we consider everyone equal so it's our doing that all are tested and compared.

Every student is put on an academic track in the US. Why ? Because they are all "winners".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies