Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 01:28 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No, he is an idiot because anyone with two brain cells should have seen the reaction a mile away.
Hard to, considering there wasn't anywhere this kind of hysterics in 1993 when the federal RFRA was passed, nor anytime in the 30 other states that either amended their state constitution, passed a similar law of had a judicial precedent like it.

Whatever. Good for the O'Conners, now over $211k and counting. Alyssa Marino's hatchet job has turned into a pretty serious windfall. Good for them.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The times...they are a'changin'.

Beliefs can't be changed with boycotts. Indeed, someone who felt his beliefs were being attacked must have some pretty weak beliefs.

This is about behavior, not beliefs. In the 21st century, society has decided that gay people should not be discriminated against. It's that simple. Don't want to serve gays? Don't go into business. Your choice. Get with the program...or get the hell out of the way.
The 21st century or not, does not give you or anyone else the right to force me to participate in the celebration of a homosexual faux "marriage." What God has said remains as relevant today as it did millennia ago. His Word does not change with time.

And my rights, under our Constitution, to religious liberty and the free exercise thereof, have been affirmed, even as to these cases, by the Supreme Court's decision in the case involving Hobby Lobby, and also their ruling on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. In fact, the Supreme Court virtually invited states to pass their own laws regarding these very issues.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Hard to, considering there wasn't anywhere this kind of hysterics in 1993 when the federal RFRA was passed, nor anytime in the 30 other states that either amended their state constitution, passed a similar law of had a judicial precedent like it.

Whatever. Good for the O'Conners, now over $211k and counting. Alyssa Marino's hatchet job has turned into a pretty serious windfall. Good for them.

If you can't recognize that the landscape has changed in the twenty two years since that law was passed than you should not be in politics. So no, it was not hard to have seen that the reaction was not going to be positive.I don't have an issue with them getting money either. As far as I am concerned one should not be punished for an opinion.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. A business owner cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation, which Memories Pizza hasn't done, but they DO have the First Amendment right to exercise their religion by refusing to play a participatory role (provide goods and/or services) in a same-sex wedding ceremony if their religion prohibits same-sex marriage.

Too many brain dead people posting garbage in this thread.
If "providing goods and/or services" is equivalent to "a participatory role," then I'd guess every Christian business opposed to gay marriage would need to close shop.

<phone rings>

Pizzeria: Hello.

Caller: Hello. This is your pepperoni supplier. I just got a call from the hog producer. I can't supply you with any more pepperoni until you sign a form requiring you to not serve gays. It seems the feed manufacturer is opposed to gay marriage, and told the hog producer what I'm telling you now.

Brain dead, indeed.

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Googling "Big Gay Pizza Parlor".... tap, tap, tap.... darn, no luck. Guess I just have to take my chances I'm not placing an order with "Big Homophobic Pizza Parlor". How ever shall I hope to know? There outta be a law...
Funny, this was the fourth result on my google search.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/13th-street-go...a-philadelphia

But if you can't find one thats gay owned, I seriously doubt that you couldn't easily find any number of pizzeria's that would be happy to provide a gay wedding with as many pizzas as you'd care to order.

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Nope. A state law cannot trump a Constitutional right.
The Supreme Court disagrees with you on this matter. So yes, a state anti discrimination law can trump a Constitutional right if the State can prove it has a compelling interest to do so.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The 21st century or not, does not give you or anyone else the right to force me to participate in the celebration of a homosexual faux "marriage."

...And my rights, under our Constitution, to religious liberty and the free exercise thereof, have been affirmed, even as to these cases, by the Supreme Court's decision in the case involving Hobby Lobby, and also their ruling on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. In fact, the Supreme Court virtually invited states to pass their own laws regarding these very issues.
Exactly. If one's religion prohibits same-sex marriage, no one can force that person, business owner or not, to play a participatory role (provide goods and/or services) in a same-sex wedding ceremony. That's a protected First Amendment right.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The 21st century or not, does not give you or anyone else the right to force me to participate in the celebration of a homosexual faux "marriage." What God has said remains as relevant today as it did millennia ago. His Word does not change with time.

And my rights, under our Constitution, to religious liberty and the free exercise thereof, have been affirmed, even as to these cases, by the Supreme Court's decision in the case involving Hobby Lobby, and also their ruling on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. In fact, the Supreme Court virtually invited states to pass their own laws regarding these very issues.
Hobby Lobby is a closely-held corporation. The Indiana law is so broad as to include anyone. Apples and oranges.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly. If one's religion prohibits same-sex marriage, no one can force that person, business owner or not, to play a participatory role (provide goods and/or services) in a same-sex wedding ceremony. That's a protected First Amendment right.
Sorry. The Commerce Clause says differently.

And please stop with the "participatory role" nonsense.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:38 PM

157 posts, read 96,634 times
Quote:
Nope. A state law cannot trump a Constitutional right.
That's why state laws banning marriages under a certain age and statutory rape laws don't apply to me and my wife. Our religion commands that women get married and start producing children immediately after puberty. It's our religious right - mine and my 11 year old wife - to marry each other and have children, and the 1st Amendment means the government can't stop us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies