Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
+1

If the Court had any sort of analytical consistency, it would test the claims of religious freedom to make sure that the "speech" is indeed, religiously based and not political.

These bakeries, when put to the test, would 99% FAIL the moral consistency test. Bring in experts on the Christian religion/denomination. Show how these bakeries will happily provide goods and services for:

1) Second weddings (sin)
2) Divorce parties (sin)
3) Celebrations involving other religions (sin - worshipping false idols and Gods)

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Then, show that the refusal to bake a cake for "gay wedding" is nothing but bullcrap.

This shows a lack of theological and spiritual understanding. Fail on the first two points definitely. These would not always be sinful. The last is debatable, depending on what kind of celebration and for what group.

Failure to understand is, after all, the reason that non-believers do not grasp what it means to "participate" in a non-believer's activity that is banned/prohibited in their faith. Participation indicates support and that means, to a person of faith, that he/she is contributing to someone else's sinfulness.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Should a Jewish bakery be allowed to refuse to make a cake with a swastika on it for a neo-Nazi ?

Seems to me a business owner should be allowed to refuse special requests. If the product or service is "off the shelf", they should be required to serve anyone who requests it. But they should retain the prerogative of which type of activity/product they want to be involved with.
Good question, I'd ask this: Should a Jewish bakery be allowed to refuse to make a cake with a cross and/or other Christian symbols on it for a Christian wedding?

After all, Jews don't hold the same beliefs as Christians (unless they are Messianic Jews).

I think they should be allowed to refuse, if we are to respect their right to their beliefs.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only if some were sold cakes for same-sex weddings and others weren't. That didn't happen, so you have no point.
If the store sells things called wedding cakes. They can not tell the gay guy that he can not purchase one of those. That is in violation of anti-discrimination laws.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Should a Jewish bakery be allowed to refuse to make a cake with a swastika on it for a neo-Nazi ?

Should a gay bar be allowed to refuse to rent their establishment out to a straight couple who demands that all rainbow flags and gay pride symbolism be taken down?

Should a photographer be allowed to refuse to take pictures for a wedding that takes place in a nudist camp?

Seems to me a business owner should be allowed to refuse special requests. If the product or service is "off the shelf", they should be required to serve anyone who requests it. But they should retain the prerogative of which type of activity/product they want to be involved with.
1. If the bakery OFFERS cakes with swastikas on them, then they should sell them to anyone.
2. If the bar rents the place and removes all decorations for others then they should do the same for anyone.
3. If the wedding photographer OFFERS wedding photography they they should do it for anyone.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Crazy religious beliefs" to you being Christian beliefs, of course.
N, there are many different religions, and most of them have some crazy beliefs.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:00 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
HIDDEN CAMERA: Gay Wedding Cake At Muslim Bakeries

...or do they get an Obama exemption?

Great debates. Hard for liberals.
They won't have to get an Obama exemption, because everybody from Obama on down nearly wet themselves whenever the thought of making Muslims do anything comes up.

There are reasons why TV News Stations don't troll Muslim Bakeries like they do Christian Pizza Parlors .. There are reasons why our militant Gays won't sue for not be served, there are reasons why we find our President bowing down in their presence ..

Nope -- We won't be finding any lawsuits, protests, fines for non-compliance, or hate speech on social media at all in the future when it comes to whether or not Muslims serve/cater to Gay weddings -

Old 04-05-2015, 04:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If the store sells things called wedding cakes. They can not tell the gay guy that he can not purchase one of those. That is in violation of anti-discrimination laws.
Well they not only can, they did. Watch the video. As far as I can tell Michigan still does not have gay marriage, so this may be legal in Michigan.

I'd like to see the guy repeat this exercise in a state like WA to see how gay activists and Democrats would respond. My guess is that they're only interested in going after evangelical Christians.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well they not only can, they did. Watch the video. As far as I can tell Michigan still does not have gay marriage, so this may be legal in Michigan.

I'd like to see the guy repeat this exercise in a state like WA to see how gay activists and Democrats would respond. My guess is that they're only interested in going after evangelical Christians.
The same thing happens in Washington .. and though it be against the law, out of fear, Gay's don't have the intestinal fortitude to bring a suit .. They just go off and find someone else who will do what they want.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Gays can buy all the cakes, flowers, photography portraits, etc., they want from any business they choose without having to face discrimination. However, even though the law has been revised, they cannot just force any person or business to play a participatory role (provide goods and/or services) in a same-sex wedding ceremony if the business owner's religion prohibits same-sex marriage. Nothing trumps the First Amendment Constitutional right to exercise one's religion. Nothing. Not even the revised Indiana law.

Had the clause "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" not been included in the First Amendment, you'd be right. But it's there, and it does indeed give anyone including business owners the right to refuse to play a participatory role (provide goods/services) in a same-sex wedding ceremony if their religion prohibits same-sex marriage.

Here's a list of relions and their denominations that prohibit same-sex marriage:
Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center

And here's where SCOTUS addresses the issue of exercising one's religion, substantial burden, and less-restrictive means:

Hobby Lobby’s win for religious freedom - The Washington Post

Note the bolded parts. Wedding ceremony goods and services are readily available elsewhere.
Then how do you expect a baker's religious rights to be protected from gays, who pass as straight, and deceive him into selling them cakes for their weddings? Besides that, the baker can't control what happens to his cake once it goes out the door. To protect bakers, do you strongly support a law that would allow them to sue gay people, who deceive them, for religious damages?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Please show me the unedited tapes, then I will make a decision on if I believe what you are being fed. Sorry, but heavily edited snips of video with poor sound don't convince me of anything other than someone had an agenda.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ulativeEditing
Manipulative editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies