Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good Lord. You act as if the world wasn't turning before white people showed up on this (and other) continent(s).

People all over the world were living perfectly normal lives before they ever ran into a white man. And although there are few corners of the world that haven't seen a white man by now, those places that haven't aren't full of people just waiting for YOU to show up and bless them with your presence.

Stop crying. Move to Idaho or pack up and leave the country. Trust me...no one will notice that you're gone.
You should read the Asia forum topics. Some white dudes on there are absolutely convinced that Asians worship them because they're white and want to be like them. LOL!!!! To be fair, not all white people are like this. The ones that are, most of the time, are of Germanic or Celtic background. Talk about an entitlement attitude

Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are beginning with a false premise. You want something that is purely American. However, what you listed is not descriptive of "American" at all.

America, by it's origins and culture, is much more than steak & potatoes or football. Things that are "American' embody all of the multiple cultures that built the country. Authentic "American" culture include influences from Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans (the California ground you're standing on was actually Mexico not so long ago ), etc.

Instead of "American," perhaps you need to use the word "white." Isn't that what you really mean? It's your prerogative to live around other white people. However, do not deny that other people and cultures make up America and are just as American as that apple pie you love so much.
Not really. Most of what you mentioned are just ethnic foods. They aren't really what you would call "American" fare (and no skin color has nothing to do with it). What's any land owned by Mexico in the past have to do with any of this? Your clue here is "past" anyway.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Since almost forever. I grew up in NYC and that's about as diversified as it got.
When you wanted good Italian you went to Little Italy, good Chinese, you went to Chinatown.
But it was still NYC and about everyone spoke a common language..English.

Go to Washington Heights today and try to find someone that speaks English..good luck.

This current trend of multiculturalism is not good for the country IMHO.

The language barrier alone is causing lots of divide.

I so agree with you!

Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food
The music.

Holidays.

Viewpoints.

Perspectives.

The women.

Lots of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.
What I'm hearing is incredibly shallow and superficial, not to mention stupid.

Antarctica, Australia and South America are the only three continents I haven't visited (and probably won't).

I've been where no one speaks English, but it was still lots of fun. It didn't stop me from teaching physics to the kids, to show them properties of water, and how powerful water can be (torrential rains destroyed the bridge that connected several villages to "civilization").

If you think these people are your "enemy," then ignoring them and refusing to engage is stupid, since Sun Tzu says "know your enemy."

And really, it's pretty sad if you can't go into "entire neighborhoods" that speak other languages and work things out cave-man style.

What language do you think they speak in Heaven?

Just saying...

Mircea

Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The music.

Holidays.

Viewpoints.

Perspectives.

The women.

Lots of things.

What I'm hearing is incredibly shallow and superficial, not to mention stupid.

Antarctica, Australia and South America are the only three continents I haven't visited (and probably won't).

I've been where no one speaks English, but it was still lots of fun. It didn't stop me from teaching physics to the kids, to show them properties of water, and how powerful water can be (torrential rains destroyed the bridge that connected several villages to "civilization").

If you think these people are your "enemy," then ignoring them and refusing to engage is stupid, since Sun Tzu says "know your enemy."

And really, it's pretty sad if you can't go into "entire neighborhoods" that speak other languages and work things out cave-man style.

What language do you think they speak in Heaven?

Just saying...

Mircea
What do you mean by "viewpoints" and "perspectives," exactly? Most people want to be around people who have the same viewpoints as their own. Look at the hysteria over this Indiana law, especially on this website. Some people think that a pizza shop owner who wouldn't cater a gay wedding should be cast into the abyss or something. Do you think that they want to live in a place where an anti-gay marriage viewpoint is prevalent? I do not think so.

Last edited by fat lou; 04-04-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 12:54 PM

You cannot change human nature. Many if not most people still feel more comfortable around those with whom they share a common culture and language and are a bit uncomfortable being around the opposite.

Look at the animal kingdom for example (and it is just as instinctive as the human race). Can you put a cat and a dog in the same room for example and expect them to get along or relate to one another? No, you can't! Oh sure, there are exceptions but for the most part, no.

I don't know why some in here seem to think that expressing the truth and facing facts is inherintently racist or intolerant because its not. People should be able to be around those whom they feel comfortable with even if it means shunning others at times without being labeled or pressed to behave differently.

Another example of incompatibility is does it make any sense to join a group that are into golf for example when you have no interest in the sport? Better to join a group that shares your interests.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
well, as a racially mixed girl, I just love America, Germany, and Japan. I also adore south Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Norway, Britain, Italy, and Denmark. If we are talking about physical beauty, I've seen incredibly gorgeous people in every country.

I think the argument people are making for a rational immigration policy is neither “racist” nor “xenophobic,” If you are an intellectual honest individual, you should know that there are peaceful, law-abiding, responsible and productive members of any and every immigrant or racial group, without exception.

In my most humble opinion, Immigration policy in general should be louvered toward the proper criteria of admissibility: capacity to contribute to the life and prosperity of the nation, and willingness to integrate.

"when in Rome, do as the Romans do", as a girl who traveled all over the world, seems like a golden rule. The rule keeps me out of trouble. You don't just represent yourself, you to a certain degree, also represent your "race" and ethnic background. Like it or not, admit it or not.

Let's face it, nobody wants to feel like a stranger where they live. The scale of immigration over recent years has created communities throughout the cities that never need to – or want to – interact with outsiders. I don't think these are the diversity most people love to see.

Many of my white friends choose houses on the basis of ethnicity, especially if they have children or families to worry about. Many of my friends (white, blacks, mixed racial, Asians - second or third generation) have decided to choose houses based on good school district. It is a code word for "mainly upper middle class, English as the first language."

Take Downey as example, this used to be the home of the Carpenters'. It was a traditional working-class area. Now it has been transformed into a giant transit camp and is home to no one.

So in a way, i wonder if mass immigration is making reluctant racists of us all.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That's an ironic sentiment, considering that you live around mostly White people.
Damn near everybody in America lives mostly around white people Einstein.

That's kinda what happens when you live in a country that's about three quarters white. I'm from Arizona...who the hell else am I gonna live around? Or am I responsible for this state's demographics. Did I pick out who could and couldn't come here?.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn near everybody in America lives mostly around white people Einstein.

That's kinda what happens when you live in a country that's about three quarters white. I'm from Arizona...who the hell else am I gonna live around? Or am I responsible for this state's demographics. Did I pick out who could and couldn't come here?.
62% White, non Hispanic. The country is changing so I thought to keep you up to date on your demographic figures

Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
62% White, non Hispanic. The country is changing so I thought to keep you up to date on your demographic figures
Yea, but some of them Hispanics are whiter than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies