Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM

428 posts, read 344,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Anyone who is not a liberal.
I always had heard that it was a 'conservative who is winning an argument', but I see your point.

Honestly, I would be interested in hearing what a 'racist' is from someone who slings the term around. They might have an interesting take on it.

It's a fascinating topic since there are so many side roads you can go down where the results of straightforward studies show things that are utter kryptonite to a lot of people.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I always had heard that it was a 'conservative who is winning an argument', but I see your point.

Honestly, I would be interested in hearing what a 'racist' is from someone who slings the term around. They might have an interesting take on it.

It's a fascinating topic since there are so many side roads you can go down where the results of straightforward studies show things that are utter kryptonite to a lot of people.

I have been labeled racist on this forum despite the fact the wife ain't white and the kid is biracial. All because I don't support liberal ideas.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Well, racist is not hard to define

a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

If you are that person, you know you are a racist. I believe there are superior individuals, but I don't think there is a superior race.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have been labeled racist on this forum despite the fact the wife ain't white and the kid is biracial. All because I don't support liberal ideas.
Yeah, like liberal ideas to not enforce our immigration laws and reward those who break them makes you a racist if you don't agree.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

If you are that person, you know you are a racist. I believe there are superior individuals, but I don't think there is a superior race.
Since people will tend to fall in a standard curve within a large group, you obviously can't make a blanket statement about an individual.

So you are saying that the average ability in a given area is unchanging between races?

The problem is that that isn't true. At least in the realms of IQ studies or athletics, there are obvious differences.

The more interesting outliers are things like criminal behavior. Are blacks 7.5 times more likely to be murderers due to some sort of DNA + in utero chemistry or is the mass behavior the result of some sort of externally imposed programming (or both)?...as an example. The state of the art in biological knowledge is advancing so quickly that it's probably just best to wait and see what science produces over time.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:

You must not be a sports fan.

(Kidding!)

Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Since people will tend to fall in a standard curve within a large group, you obviously can't make a blanket statement about an individual.

So you are saying that the average ability in a given area is unchanging between races?

The problem is that that isn't true. At least in the realms of IQ studies or athletics, there are obvious differences.

The more interesting outliers are things like criminal behavior. Are blacks 7.5 times more likely to be murderers due to some sort of DNA + in utero chemistry or is the mass behavior the result of some sort of externally imposed programming (or both)?...as an example. The state of the art in biological knowledge is advancing so quickly that it's probably just best to wait and see what science produces over time.
well, true or untrue, that is the definition on wikipedia.

What is your definition of racist?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You must not be a sports fan.

(Kidding!)
hmm I have to think about that if you are talking about sports.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
hmm I have to think about that if you are talking about sports.
Since I was, please do so.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
well, true or untrue, that is the definition on wikipedia.

What is your definition of racist?
Good question, although it's not something I've worried much about as I don't accuse others of this.

Oxford English Dictionary:

1. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

2. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

----

It seems to me that you can, for instance, think of Kenyans as superior runners without dealing with them in a prejudiced, discriminatory, or antagonistic way....or thinking that all Kenyans are superior runners.

OTOH, it's probably safe to say that the average Kenyan is a better runner than the average Samoan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies