Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 PM

46,175 posts, read 26,894,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nor do I care what you think.

Eventually, sanity will prevail. Like it or not it'll happen, but its nothing to me.

The ban of open carry was in effect in the old frontier days, primary reason for the gunfight at OK Corral.
Why do you agree with the OP, when he/she has clearly been proven wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This is from the CDC, not some blog the OP posted...

CDC Study: Use of Firearms For Self-Defense is

Notice I put a link to back up what I claim...

Prove my link wrong compared to what the OP stated....go ahead, I'll wait....

Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM

65 posts, read 120,665 times
You have a right to own a gun, not kill someone. Are we going to ban hands because people choke other people to death? How about pillows, you can kill someone while they sleep with a pillow! A driver can kill someone with a car, are we going to ban cars? The state will take away your license to drive if you become too dangerous, should be the same with guns. Never deny the right to own, but take it away if you can't handle big boy pants. There are many people who are responsible gun owners. Most crime with guns are comitted by criminals. Laws written to restrict gun access only hurts law abiding citizens, criminals do not follow the law...hence them being called criminals.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,958,184 times
"Militia" was used then as now as distinct from military. Militia means "like the military," with the same firepower, distributed, regularized. The people are the militia, from its author, George Mason's, own words.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,074,514 times
Quote:
Actually, I think the sentiment around the country is against you. Eventually sanity will prevail IMO. Including revision of the current interpretation of the 2A.
Actually the sentiment of the country supports the 2A
With 320 million firearms in the US, gun ownership is at an all time high.
CCW licenses have grown exponentially in the past 5 years.
Gun ranges are reporting memberships at another all time high.
Ammo manufacturers are behind in production and can't keep up with the demand.
Shooting sports are growing and what I witness is more participation than ever as I travel the country shooting local, regional, and national matches.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,795,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Actually the sentiment of the country supports the 2A
With 320 million firearms in the US, gun ownership is at an all time high.
CCW licenses have grown exponentially in the past 5 years.
Gun ranges are reporting memberships at another all time high.
Ammo manufacturers are behind in production and can't keep up with the demand.
Shooting sports are growing and what I witness is more participation than ever as I travel the country shooting local, regional, and national matches.
Nope, don't think so. More weapons, fewer owners.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorc140 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert
The US did not have a standing army in 1788. All it did have was a militia. Read the 2A with that in mind. Particularly the beginning words.
Yet another reason the second amendment is outdated
How? Particularly since we now do have a standing army on U.S. shores--in stark abrogation of Posse Comitatus--beginning with the formation of USNORTHCOM, which went operational in October 2002.

You can now see it at any Kentucky Derby:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ucky_Derby.jpg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...28197403494139

Last edited by mm4; 04-03-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 07:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,795,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Militia" was used then as now as distinct from military. Militia means "like the military," with the same firepower, distributed, regularized. The people are the militia, from its author, George Mason's, own words.
Militia (which still exists in a few locales so I've read) meant more like an inactive National Guard in todays thinking. Subject to call-up in the time of need (and bring your own weapons).

BTW, those old Revolutionary weapons were quite accurate. I read that Daniel Boone was a sharpshooter in one battle and killed a British officer at 250 yards (head shot).

Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 PM
mm4

Quote:
Militia (which still exists in a few locales so I've read) meant more like an inactive National Guard in todays thinking. Subject to call-up in the time of need (and bring your own weapons).

BTW, those old Revolutionary weapons were quite accurate. I read that Daniel Boone was a sharpshooter in one battle and killed a British officer at 250 yards (head shot).
Militias were not the reserves, or NG. Militias were to be regular, ready, distributed, common. Again, the people, not the state.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,074,514 times
Quote:
There is no proof of that, it's purely speculation that is not consistent with all other indicators.
Ranges are packed more than ever, and ammo manufactures can't keep up with consumption. Even junior shooting sports are growing at tremendous rates. College scholarship money has been awarded recently like no time in history. New gun ranges are popping up all over the country. I personally trained almost 70 percent more people this year compared to last year to obtain their CCW license. At the Shot show which is the trade show for the firearm industry, most other firearm safety instructors reported similar increases in business.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
mm4

Quote:
And you would be wrong:

Gallup:
_"Less Than Half of Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws"_
Less Than Half of Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws

Pew:
_"Growing Public Support for Gun Rights"_
"More Say Guns Do More to Protect Than Put People at Risk"
Growing Public Support for Gun Rights | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies