U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,002,170 times

Advertisements

They interviewed Congressman Murtha on TV last night. He said one of the best things I've heard about the war in Iraq. Basically (and I'm paraphrasing), he said "Bush keeps saying 'Our strategy is to win in Iraq.' Winning is not a strategy, WINNING IS A GOAL!"

You have to have a strategy to win! I hope Congressman Murtha will be more involved now that the Democrats have the House. He seems to know what he is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 PM

20,399 posts, read 37,992,401 times
Default You know.....hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Actually, I think the reverse is true. Bush should have fired him many months ago.
.....maybe it works both ways....

Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM

919 posts, read 1,673,739 times
with rumsfeld out, I hope the public will learn something, If your not military oriented keep yer mouth shut! if youve never been in a real fire fight you know nothing! i was involved in vietnam, shot at & missed. turn the guys loose and they can get the job done.let the trained generals do the job, not the public opinion. if that sounds harsh, so be it . im just as tired of it as any. tired of the "not another nam". im ranting, SORRY

Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,924,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
with rumsfeld out, I hope the public will learn something, If your not military oriented keep yer mouth shut! if youve never been in a real fire fight you know nothing! i was involved in vietnam, shot at & missed. turn the guys loose and they can get the job done.let the trained generals do the job, not the public opinion. if that sounds harsh, so be it . im just as tired of it as any. tired of the "not another nam". im ranting, SORRY
I agree with you Mark. It seems to me that the resources weren't put on the ground there for political reasons. The American military stormed Iraq in 2003 and defeated them utterly. If we hadn't been focused on "nation-building" and treating Iraq like post world war II Japan and Germany, we would have left the existing army intact and let them and the local police forces continue their work. We wouldn't have built one of the largest air bases in the world way out in the desert in western Iraq that the government and media never tell us about (because it's permanent, not temporary...and costing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars...), and we would have forced all militias to surrender arms while securing the borders to prevent Iranian infiltrators. We also would have opened Iraq up to contracts from anyone instead of making them no-bid to specific goverment tied companies that still pay VP Cheney and have connections to Bush family interests, etc. The American military is amazing in that it obeys this corrupt government because it's loyal to the Republic and Constitution, but our corrupt government has badly misused our military and kept the generals from doing their jobs instead using "think tanks" and "special interest civilian/business groups" in Washington to make the policy. Rumsfeld will go down in history as a colossal failure. It's really too bad.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 PM

148 posts, read 791,929 times
Default Down for the count

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Only two days ago, Bush said there was no way Rummy would step down.
The Republicans are basically pulling themselves up off the Election Day mat.

Yeah, the Republicans are basically pulling themselves up off the Election Day mat all right.

Professional "wrastlers" have more honesty and integrity than the BUSH TAG TEAM. Bush talked today about the thumping they got last night. Bush's butt hit the "wrastling" mat last night with a loud thump, and Rumsfeld's butt hit the "wrastling" mat with a loud thump, too.

A Republican thump here, and a Republican thump everywhere:

Thump

Thump

Thump six Senate seats

Thump 28 House seats

The Republicans last night were knocked out--STONE COLD, STONE COLD, STONE COLD, STONE COLD.

Here's the kicker: Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't even lay a hand on these turkeys. Nope! Nope! Hulk Hogan wasn't even there. Nope! Nope!

The ex-Speaker of the House was once a wrestling coach, too. Oh my! Oh my! These guys were flat on their backs last night, and down for the count.

My dad used to talk about GORGEOUS GEORGE-- the wrastler. Well, this gorgeous George, George W., ain't gorgeous no more. He lost big time. Put your tail between your legs, and head back to Texas.

Just think: the new Speaker of the House weighs all of 100 pounds and the ex-Speaker of the House weighs all of 350 pounds. Nancy showed Dennis a thing or two last night.

Nothing could save these turkeys last night. Not lobbyists' money. Not inside deals. Nothing!

I bet Karl Rove got his butt chewed out last night. George even chewed Rove's butt out during the news conference today.

The conservative party is over!

Z

Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,156,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelia View Post
Yeah, the Republicans are basically pulling themselves up off the Election Day mat all right.

Professional "wrastlers" have more honesty and integrity than the BUSH TAG TEAM. Bush talked today about the thumping they got last night. Bush's butt hit the "wrastling" mat last night with a loud thump, and Rumsfeld's butt hit the "wrastling" mat with a loud thump, too.

A Republican thump here, and a Republican thump everywhere:

Thump

Thump

Thump six Senate seats

Thump 28 House seats

The Republicans last night were knocked out--STONE COLD, STONE COLD, STONE COLD, STONE COLD.

Here's the kicker: Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't even lay a hand on these turkeys. Nope! Nope! Hulk Hogan wasn't even there. Nope! Nope!

The ex-Speaker of the House was once a wrestling coach, too. Oh my! Oh my! These guys were flat on their backs last night, and down for the count.

My dad used to talk about GORGEOUS GEORGE-- the wrastler. Well, this gorgeous George, George W., ain't gorgeous no more. He lost big time. Put your tail between your legs, and head back to Texas.

Just think: the new Speaker of the House weighs all of 100 pounds and the ex-Speaker of the House weighs all of 350 pounds. Nancy showed Dennis a thing or two last night.

Nothing could save these turkeys last night. Not lobbyists' money. Not inside deals. Nothing!

I bet Karl Rove got his butt chewed out last night. George even chewed Rove's butt out during the news conference today.

The conservative party is over!

Z
NO it's not ppl said the same about the DEMS when they got corupt. the Dems had inside deals and lobbyest Clinton used to sik the IRS on ppl when they audited him he put them in front of congress. BOTH parties get corrupt when they have total power. ppl just seem to forget after a few years.(unfortunetly) Some day ppl will wake up and the working man will become a state gov then regardless of the party he/she's party will sweep that state and become corrupt just like before. I can predict the future within 10 years the DEMS have the scandal the republicans do. Who wants to bet. But hey on the positive not the dems will raise min wage and all prices will go up when they complain all they will be able to say is DOH. 14000 economist say its bad 350 say its good lets go with the 350 it sounds better man there fools.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 PM

20,399 posts, read 37,992,401 times
Default Could it be that....

....Rummy quit because he can't stand the humiliation of being grilled in front of Democratically-controlled Appropriation or Armed Services Committees?

....Hastert says he won't seek the minority leader role, haha. Now that the shoe is on the other foot he doesn't want to play anymore. Gee, what fortitude.

....IMO, today, the Bush administration ceased to be.

s/Mike

Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Default As long.........

As long as money and sex are attractive, there will always be scandals--Republican scandals and Democratic scandals.

Proclaiming to have the corner on morality got the Republicans in big, big, big, big trouble. They aren't saints. Far from it!

To all the homophobic, homosexual, Republicans: you belong in the Hall of Shame.

Shame on you!

Do you realize how many gay teens have attempted suicide? Once? Twice? Three times? Then there's the gay teens who have succeeded. Do you realize how difficult school is for gay teens? You don't care!

Shame on you!

Z

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,066,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelia View Post
As long as money and sex are attractive, there will always be scandals--Republican scandals and Democratic scandals.

Proclaiming to have the corner on morality got the Republicans in big, big, big, big trouble. They aren't saints. Far from it!

To all the homophobic, homosexual, Republicans: you belong in the Hall of Shame.

Shame on you!

Do you realize how many gay teens have attempted suicide? Once? Twice? Three times? Then there's the gay teens who have succeeded. Do you realize how difficult school is for gay teens? You don't care!

Shame on you!

Z
What? Ken Mehlman is gay? Noooooooo!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Rummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
....Rummy quit because he can't stand the humiliation of being grilled in front of Democratically-controlled Appropriation or Armed Services Committees?

....Hastert says he won't seek the minority leader role, haha. Now that the shoe is on the other foot he doesn't want to play anymore. Gee, what fortitude.

....IMO, today, the Bush administration ceased to be.

s/Mike

As I see it, Rummy quit because his credibility was gone. His credibility had slowly evaporated for a long, long, long time, but last night's disastrous election results signaled the end.

Hastert has health problems. Being morbidly obese creates a lot of health problems for anyone weighing 300 plus pounds. He must weigh over 300 pounds. He has diabetes, and undoubtedly other ailments. I think he's 64-years-old, and he's probably had enough of Washington. He's rich, and he can now enjoy the good life.

The Bush administration may appear to be dead in the water, but I don't know? The two things that this administration has is power and money. Power and money talk; they're powerful allies and weapons.

I wish this administration was a goner, but it may have some life left.

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies