Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
how many poor people do you personally know who "choose idleness over labor".
None - I don't hang out with those people anymore. I don't respect people who choose to forego working in order to mooch off of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When I was a little kid my Grandmother lived adjacent to the railroad tracks. Hobo's would go up to her back porch every day and ask for food, and as poor as she was she always gave them something, a cup of coffee or maybe just a piece of bread.
Your Grandmother is an example of the kind of individual charity that the Bible calls for.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 04-13-2015 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: syntax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I hate smoking and rarely drink. Nope, if you can't afford it you don't buy. I've been broke and I didn't buy treats, I bought real food. Why should they be allowed to if those not on welfare can't?
I think the phrase "allowed to" says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are poor and living in hotel room you need to learn how to spend your money wisely.For example, don't buy very expensive prepared food.
If you are living someplace that doesn't allow you to prepare your own food, buying food that is already prepared (read: expensive) is all you will be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The money they could save in few weeks preparing food themselves could be spent on a hot plate and toaster oven.
Um, if they can prepare the food themselves and cook it, wouldn't they already be using a hot plate and a toaster oven? Even if they aren't already preparing and cooking their food, how are they supposed to save the money? Not eat for two weeks so they can afford to buy all this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
TANF is not supposed to be their only means of cash.
And TANF cash is supposed to be for the child, not to get your car fixed.
You mean, not to get to your job so you can pay rent and house that child? You do know that the majority of people receiving welfare work, right?

And just to add, if the churches and private donations were all that we needed, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. It's because those two things fail that we need the government to help.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 26,775 times
I live in Milwaukee and there were plenty of WI welfare recipients cheating the system - every month they'd head down to IL to collect their IL welfare check with their supposed IL address and come back to WI where they actually lived. That's common knowledge.

Sure, there are plenty of people who abuse the system.

But I do realize there are families out there - HONEST families who need it.

I also realize that the uneducated black man, depending on where you live, has the hardest time finding employment. That's not an opinion; that's a fact. Just one example if many variables we can add to the equation. My point being, don't fault those who do try and do have jobs but can barely make enough to survive.

Instead of shaming and faulting those who need genuine help, lets help them out and focus the attention on those who abuse the system instead of micromanaging those who don't.

I'm not about to tell someone that they can't buy a steak for dinner. For all we know they may have skipped dinner yesterday to enjoy a better one today. There are honest families -and their choldren - who go to bed hungry, and it's sad.

Not everyone cheats the system, nor do we want a government comprised of self absorbed narcissists who lack normal human empathy towards the plight of others.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Go ahead, restrict everything a person buys with food stamps, make sure they can only buy a certain amount of each item and limit the stores they can go to, I've never been on any Gov't assistance and never will so it doesn't personally affect me, but what is troubling is the kind of overreach that these kind of policies lead to.

Do you really think the people who started all this nonsense about restricting what people spend their food stamps on will stop there? It's just a start, they want to eliminate ALL programs that benefit the poor, elderly or disabled and the way to do that is make the recipients look like drug using, scandalous thieves. But just wait, when they win this battle they will go after Social Security benefits, I'm sure some politician will decide that some older people are not using their benefits appropriately and gee whiz maybe they are drinking too much wine so we need to protect them from themselves, so we will issue them special cards and make sure they only buy things that WE decide are good for them, then when everyone hates those wasteful, ungrateful old codgers they will simply end Social Security altogether.

It's easy to sit back and wag your finger at the poor, particularly if you have never been poor, but this isn't even about the poor, it's the Machiavellian agenda of ALEC and the Koch Brothers, they even write legislature specifying the exact wording for these bills and hand them out to their big donors (libertarian and conservative politicians) They want to eliminate every one of these programs and will stop at nothing until they accomplish that. You folks who think this is a wonderful idea just better be careful what you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies