Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,687,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the message is: "We parents are condoning teenage sex by giving them the means to have it and not pay the consequences".
What consequences would you like teenagers to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,967,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Something really nasty like a venereal disease or a baby.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM

62,484 posts, read 28,720,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Like them to have? Where did I say that? I just said that pregnancy can be a consequence of having sex. We must all accept the consequences of our actions including teenagers. Has nothing to do with "like".

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Sorry sweetpea, but I am going on thirty years old .
I am a male, so sweetpea is not an accurate term and no need for snotty sarcasm either. What does you being 30 have to do with teenaged sex?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Then don't complain when your 15 year old has a screaming infant in the house keeping you up all night. Hope those "principals" double as an effective sleep aide .
It wouldn't be my fault. I warned them and they disregarded it. They could have gotten birth control from somewhere else or abstained. it was their choice and they wouldn't be living with me just because they screwed up and didn't listen.

By the way, I am a senior citizen so I don't have any teenagers and fortunately my kids listened to me when they were teenagers and respect me for not granting them permission or condoning them to have sex at that age by providing them with birth control measures.

Last edited by Oldglory; 04-07-2015 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,967,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And if your teen ended up pregnant, then what would you do?

Would you provide for them or dump them on the taxpayers?
Quote:
It wouldn't be my fault. I warned them and they disregarded it. They could have gotten birth control from somewhere else or abstained. it was their choice and they wouldn't be living with me just because they screwed up and didn't listen.

By the way, I am a senior citizen so I don't have any teenagers and fortunately my kids listened to me when they were teenagers and respect me for not granting them permission or condoning them to have sex at that age by providing them with birth control measures.
Well, there's my answer.........you would dump them on the taxpayers........how very conservative of you.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,630,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You really do hate Christians, don't you. Do you not think it valuable to teach teens to abstain from sexual activity until marriage? Should we be teaching teens to go ahead an have sex simply on the basis that sexual desire is normal?

Even though contraceptives are easily available to anyone who wants them, the out-of-wedlock births keep soaring (4 out of 10 births, it is reported).

Why is teaching of abstinence a bad thing?
Of course teaching abstinence is a good thing.

Teaching abstinence only is the issue. And it has been shown that teaching abstinence only *does not work* to reduce teen pregnancy, while a more complete educational does.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Almost all teens do, period. FACT. Nothing to do with political or religious persuasion.

But just because a majority do, doesn't mean it is beneficial to them or society. It is in fact possible to be abstinent and you will in FACT avoid many problems that sex can introduce.

cd :O)
Actually, if you look at the link HiFi posted, even at age 18, barely over half of teens have had sex. I agree with those who say it's wrong to assume virtually all kids are having sex. It's also disrepectful to the kids to make that assumption.

Quote:
As I said before, when it is an aspect of sexual health it is good. Too often AO programs are run by religious based groups though, and they skew data to make it seem like BC is not a safe option whatsoever.
Not in public schools they're not. Just what is your knowledge base about this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Of course teaching abstinence is a good thing.

Teaching abstinence only is the issue. And it has been shown that teaching abstinence only *does not work* to reduce teen pregnancy, while a more complete educational does.
I actually read an article recently that teaching "abstinence for now" can work. In fact, I think we discussed the article on the ed forum.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,122,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Actually, if you look at the link HiFi posted, even at age 18, barely over half of teens have had sex. I agree with those who say it's wrong to assume virtually all kids are having sex. It's also disrepectful to the kids to make that assumption.
Quote:
The average male loses his virginity at age 16.9; females average slightly older, at 17.4. And a new study shows that genetics may be a factor: inherited traits, such as impulsivity, can make a person more or less willing to have sex at an earlier age.
Sources: Kinsey Institute; California State University
10 surprising sex statistics - Health - Sexual health | NBC News

Percent of population having had first intercourse, by age
Males Females

25% by age 15 26% by age 15
37% by age 16 40% by age 16
46% by age 17 49% by age 17
62% by age 18 70% by age 18
69% by age 19 77% by age 19
85% by age 20-21 81% by age 20-21
89% by age 22-24 92% by age 22-24

The Kinsey Institute - Sexuality Information Links - FAQ [Related Resources]

Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,687,384 times
Quote:
Like them to have? Where did I say that? I just said that pregnancy can be a consequence of having sex. We must all accept the consequences of our actions including teenagers. Has nothing to do with "like".
Not if teens are on a reliable method of birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies