Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Some children do not have any parents figures or parent do not want to talk about it at all.
The currently birth rates are down so teaching sex ed works.
If parents don't want to talk about sex to their kids, that is there right. My parents didn't talk to me about sex...other than when I left for college and my mom said, "if you fall in love, get on the pill." And guess what? No unplanned pregnancies or STDs! I had friends and older siblings to talk with.

Today's youth have access to many sources of information if their parents cannot or will not discuss sexual education with them. The fact remains, it is the parent's role to provide education on moral issues to their children and not the public school.

Usurping EVERY parent's right to parental control over moral subjects with their children because of the failure by other parents is a very fascistic approach in my estimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
City teens are taking the old anti-drug mantra, “Just say no,” to heart — when it comes to sex.

More Big Apple high school students than ever say they are abstaining from sex, a health poll reveals.
The percentage of adolescents who had sexual intercourse fell from 37.8 percent in 2011 to 31.2 percent in 2013, the federal Centers for Disease Control’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey found.

The drop is part of a trend. In 2001, 51 percent of city teens said they had sex.

The teen sexual activity rate for 2013 is the lowest since the CDC began surveying students in 1997.

Number of NYC teens having sex is at an all-time low | New York Post

Abstinence is not the only message for teens, but maybe some are listening and heeding the message....at least in NYC according to the CDC.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And condoms and birth control and abstinence until ready.
Which is the parent's role, not the school's role. Does it make sense for me to usurp the role of the teacher by teaching my children old math or contradicting their teachers on science or history lessons because I think I know better than the teacher?

Teachers have a role to play in educating children on issues that relate to advancing in school and future careers. Parents have a role to play in educating their children in issues of morality.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
If parents don't want to talk about sex to their kids, that is there right. My parents didn't talk to me about sex...other than when I left for college and my mom said, "if you fall in love, get on the pill." And guess what? No unplanned pregnancies or STDs! I had friends and older siblings to talk with.

Today's youth have access to many sources of information if their parents cannot or will not discuss sexual education with them. The fact remains, it is the parent's role to provide education on moral issues to their children and not the public school.

Usurping EVERY parent's right to parental control over moral subjects with their children because of the failure by other parents is a very fascistic approach in my estimation.
Parent can withdraw the kid from the school if they do not like what is going on
Simple thing instead of ruining it for everyone else

Old 04-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Why do right wingers always thing education is some "indoctrination?" If you don't like public schools, don't send your child to public schools.

Like what? What activities did Caligula not engage in that would be considered "normal sex acts?"

Because they know how to think for themselves, so it is easy to discern indoctrination when it occurs.

What makes you so interested in Caligula's sexual proclivities? I think you can get a book from the library if you need to know that urgently.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Which is the parent's role, not the school's role. Does it make sense for me to usurp the role of the teacher by teaching my children old math or contradicting their teachers on science or history lessons because I think I know better than the teacher?

Teachers have a role to play in educating children on issues that relate to advancing in school and future careers. Parents have a role to play in educating their children in issues of morality.
Then that parent can choose to not send their own child to public schools....problem solved. Sex education is also education even if you want to try to attach your own personal idea of what morals are to sex education.

Quote:
Because they know how to think for themselves, so it is easy to discern indoctrination when it occurs.

What makes you so interested in Caligula's sexual proclivities? I think you can get a book from the library if you need to know that urgently.
Actually you are the one who brought up Caligula....so you must have an idea of what sexual acts Caligula did and didn't do to classify what is normal and what isn't.

It is funny when right wingers act like any form of education is indoctrination....well I guess there is always getting knocked up and STDs when one is a dumb teen because their parents or too uneducated to understand the importance of sexual education.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Parent can withdraw the kid from the school if they do not like what is going on
Simple thing instead of ruining it for everyone else
My district allowed kids to opt out of health ed if the parents/student preferred. There was another course called "Living on Your Own" that they could take instead.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
My district allowed kids to opt out of health ed if the parents/student preferred. There was another course called "Living on Your Own" that they could take instead.
Just about every public school that has a sex ed program lets parents opt out their children, typically when anyone says that isn't true is either lying or unaware that any student can be opted out.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
False, you are simply deflecting because you either lack the knowledge of that list or you simply realize how vague and subjective it is. If a teen is asking about sex, it would be stupid to tell the child to just not do it, therefore never need to learn anything about sex. But you keep deflecting and hope the problem of teen pregnancy and STDs will just go away.
Our discussion for the last pages has been specifically about fistinggate, not basic sex questions. Or are you moving the goal posts now as a retreat?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Then that parent can choose to not send their own child to public schools....problem solved. Sex education is also education even if you want to try to attach your own personal idea of what morals are to sex education.

Actually you are the one who brought up Caligula....so you must have an idea of what sexual acts Caligula did and didn't do to classify what is normal and what isn't.

It is funny when right wingers act like any form of education is indoctrination....well I guess there is always getting knocked up and STDs when one is a dumb teen because their parents or too uneducated to understand the importance of sexual education.

I brought up Caligula because he was a fan of what you seem to think is a sexual act. He engaged in many deviant acts that most people would hardly deem acts of sexual intimacy.

Education has become indoctrination. Of course, proggies can't see it. The indoctrination is of progressive ideology. When you are surrounded by lemmings, of course you mock the people who refuse to jump with the rest of you.

I speak as a product of public schools and higher education. I was indoctrinated into progressive ideology in college. It took time and effort to investigate and apply logic and reasoning to the reality of the real world to see how indoctrinated I had become.

I don't "try and attached my personal idea of morality to sexual activity." I have the absolute right to my personal beliefs about sex education and morality and the absolute right to provide that education and the morality connected to it.

Keep sex ed out of schools and in the home. Problem solved!

I love how the mind of the progressive works. If you don't genuflect at the wisdom and power of the STATE you are ignorant and your children are destined to no control over their baser instincts, so they will breed and die as a result of your fear and ignorance of "EDUCATION."

Of course, if public schools were teaching gun safety/shooting or Virtues, you and your ilk would be the first ones to demand that schools focus on "basic education".... BTDT...learned to think for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies