Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is A.D.D. a real medical condition that people have or just another way for doctors to prescribe poi
Yes 61 56.48%
No 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yeah it's real. If you've ever seen a kid with ADD you wouldn't waste time publishing this poll.
Exactly. I was married to someone with ADD. She was prescribed Adderall, and the difference was night and day, with and without the medication. Without the medication, she couldn't do any less than five things at once. With the medication, she could focus on activities normally. Yes, ADD is very real.

Why is this a poll? Polls concerning science are useless as instruments of inquiry. If you're looking to start a conspiracy theory, then poll to your heart's content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
It is politically incorrect to put a boot in your kids ass these days, therefore kids act accordingly, so instead of discipline and direction we medicate, and when we medicate, we have to come up with a justification for said medication, hence, add, adhd lgbt, etc,etc,etc.....

Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
I'm not a doctor but I was dating this guy who called to say he was coming over (told me he was leaving out the door)... He lived about 10 miles away. After 45 minutes (it should have took him no more than 20 minutes) I started wondering what happened? Not wanting to bug him, I did not call. ...Another hour went by and then I did call. I told him it's been 2 hours, what happened? He said he was just getting ready to leave! I said just getting ready to leave? You said you were going out the door 2 hours ago.

He said he got distracted, (by what I could not remember) and I said, so have you left? He said no. I said did he want me to come over? He said yes. (heck if I knew that, I would have left 2 hours ago!) So, I went over there, it took me 15 minutes to get there...He seemed to not be able to focus on one thing at a time.... Always kind of verbally "hyper" Not being a doctor, but later studying what it might be, I came upon a forum where someone mentioned to the "T" what it was like being around this guy. (He was very handsome, so who am I to complain?)...

My son also does the "hyper speaking" and jump around with ideas so fast I can't keep up. He said they think he has ADHD. Like I said, I can only tell you what I have experienced. There may be other names for it but I just thought that was so strange (minus an accident) how you could be going out the front door and 2 hours later, you have not met your destination. (and nothing occurred like a phone call, car accident, water break, etc.)

Old 04-05-2015, 06:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean research like this:
Press Release

I suppose PTSD is also only behavioral and those people should...how did you say it?

Ah yes.

I suspect the reason you hate google is it becomes too easy to disprove people posting nonsense.
I just love it when those who have never dealt with it personally make Judgments based of some personal anecdotes from some people and Ignore trained people who do the studies...Although, I agree Meds are not the Answer ( sometimes not necessary)..They are something that Some cases require in order for therapy to work/take hold. Not to mention, with behavioural modifications, which can only be accomplished with the cooperation of a network ( Teachers, family, educations of adults who interact) of direct contact people will promote program to HELP modifications to be accomplished. It goes way beyond "Pill will cure all ills" concept... Ignorance is not bliss in these cases..informed and participation will make the difference

Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
It is politically incorrect to put a boot in your kids ass these days, therefore kids act accordingly, so instead of discipline and direction we medicate, and when we medicate, we have to come up with a justification for said medication, hence, add, adhd lgbt, etc,etc,etc.....
Boot in the ass doesn't work with kids who truly have ADD/ADHD. Yes, it was less common 50 years ago. So was autism. Has the rate changed or is it being recognized more?

The thing is that school, especially, has become so high stakes that there's no time to really, really, deal with a kid with it through behavior modification so meds become the default position.

And, believe it or not, some parents want their kids diagnosed whether it's an accurate diagnosis or not. For some that replaces parenting while for others it's financial (SSI).

Old 04-05-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Anyway, behavioral disorders require behavioral modification, not drugs.
Yep. There's a simple test for this. Give the patient a drug. Give a normal person the drug. Observe behavior. (Sorry you don't want to hear anecdotes. I really don't give a damn what you want or don't want.) ADD is treated with amphetamines. Compare the behavior of someone with ADD with that of a normal person, after administering amphetamines to both, and I'm sure someone as bright as you would come to the correct conclusion.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 04-05-2015 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
The doctors tried telling me I had A.D.D. or something, I don't really know, I wasn't paying attention.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Default Poll-Is A.D.D.- Attention deficit disorder a real disorder?

No it's only for big pharmaceuticals to make more money and to hook kids on drugs, people don't need all these drugs.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
No it's only for big pharmaceuticals to make more money and to hook kids on drugs, people don't need all these drugs.
Do you feel this way about all drugs, or only those used to treat ADD?

Big Pharma certainly has an interest in sales volume, but that does not mean the conditions aren't real.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Boot in the ass doesn't work with kids who truly have ADD/ADHD. Yes, it was less common 50 years ago. So was autism. Has the rate changed or is it being recognized more?

The thing is that school, especially, has become so high stakes that there's no time to really, really, deal with a kid with it through behavior modification so meds become the default position.

And, believe it or not, some parents want their kids diagnosed whether it's an accurate diagnosis or not. For some that replaces parenting while for others it's financial (SSI).
I would argue it does...medication is just a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies