Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is A.D.D. a real medical condition that people have or just another way for doctors to prescribe poi
Yes 61 56.48%
No 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,129 times

Advertisements

ADHD and early death: We often miss the story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
I always like to bring this up when folks talk of ADD/ADHD

snopes.com: Dr. Leon Eisenberg — ADHD Is a 'Fictitious Disease'?

He said that he never would have thought his discovery would someday become so popular. "ADHD is a prime example of a fabricated disorder," Eisenberg said. "The genetic predisposition to ADHD is completely overrated."

Quote:
Instead, child psychiatrists should more thoroughly determine the psychosocial reasons that can lead to behavioral problems, Eisenberg said. Are there fights with parents, are there are problems in the family? Such questions are important, but they take a lot of time, Eisenberg said, adding with a sigh: "Prescribe a pill for it very quickly."

However, when one allows for the vagaries of translation from German to English and reads the statement in context, it's clear that Dr. Eisenberg wasn't asserting that ADHD isn't a real disorder, but rather that he thought the influence of genetic predispositions for ADHD (rather than social/environmental risk factors) were vastly overestimated:
Read more at snopes.com: Dr. Leon Eisenberg — ADHD Is a 'Fictitious Disease'?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-15-2015 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 04-07-2015, 08:20 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Many decades ago, when I attend school in NYC, ADD didn't even exist but now too many kids are prescribed mind altering drugs AND going to a high school with 5000 students, nobody was whining about banning peanuts or peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in the cafeteria because they were 'allergic'. All of a sudden, thousands of kids are allergic to peanuts and get 'peanut free zones'.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Many decades ago, when I attend school in NYC, ADD didn't even exist but now too many kids are prescribed mind altering drugs AND going to a high school with 5000 students, nobody was whining about banning peanuts or peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in the cafeteria because they were 'allergic'. All of a sudden, thousands of kids are allergic to peanuts and get 'peanut free zones'.
And it's only gotten worse. I was shocked when I saw how many kids were leaving my classes to go to the nurse to "take their medicine". In each of my 8 classes there were 3-4 that had to go do that every day at a certain time.

And that is one teacher workload. Other teachers told me this was very common and the numbers were growing each year.

Now if this is the case then something is truly wrong with so many kids being diagnosed ADD/ADHD and needing meds.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And it's only gotten worse. I was shocked when I saw how many kids were leaving my classes to go to the nurse to "take their medicine". In each of my 8 classes there were 3-4 that had to go do that every day at a certain time.

And that is one teacher workload. Other teachers told me this was very common and the numbers were growing each year.

Now if this is the case then something is truly wrong with so many kids being diagnosed ADD/ADHD and needing meds.
Actually I'm rather surprised that School nurses even need to dispense anything. Ritalin was the first drug used ( back in 1980's) which only were active for about 4 hours or less....Cylert became recognized..It's affective rate time was 10 hours...It first came out in 1975..long after Ritalin..but in RItalin's case was used for mainly anaesthetizing situations..to calm the shakes after recovering from anaesthetic's ..
Cylert (Pemoline) Drug Information: Description, User Reviews, Drug Side Effects, Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList
Anyway as of today..Cylert has been deregulated out of fears for Liver Problems. When they came out with chewable pills, the fear was how easy it would be for abuse and OD if children had access to such tasty items...

Anyway..These drugs didn't become meds for ADD nor ADHD until they realized the side affects of them actually helped these kids who lack ability to articulate/express themselves and activity levels went through the roof. Long study and Clinical trials happened back then that actually proved to FDA or whatever Drug Control group governed such things....

BUT having said all that..The Drug itself only assists on one level..The HARD work is learning how to interact with the child or adult to de-escalate and calm down...along with re-directing energy into positive activity..then out of parental control enable teachers/ sport mentors with information and what works with your child/friend/spouse....DIET to is very important detail..Feingold Diet truly helped as well..stay away from Salicylate's>
http://www.everydaywithadhd.com.au/u...food_chart.pdf

Snack foods which are loaded with preservatives..pure toxic for ADD/ADHD people!!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Good grief, this stupidity again?? Yes it's a real disorder. Yes it gets over diagnosed as well.

Put it this way: If 40% of all people diagnosed with cancer didn't really have cancer, would that mean that cancer is an imaginary up disease? No. It wouldn't.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Good grief, this stupidity again?? Yes it's a real disorder. Yes it gets over diagnosed as well.

Put it this way: If 40% of all people diagnosed with cancer didn't really have cancer, would that mean that cancer is an imaginary up disease? No. It wouldn't.
That is a horrible analogy. Really, one of the worst ones I've ever seen.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Is there a correlation of illicit drug and alcohol abuse and this diagnosis?
No.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Is attention deficit disorder a genuine condition or just something made up by doctors and drug companies to make more money? Do you know people with? It seems to me like it is just someone having anxiety which is quite normal in this day and age. Anything to keep wall st profits high i guess.

Is there a correlation of illicit drug and alcohol abuse and this diagnosis?
I think it's real, but I think far too many are wrongly diagnosed as such. I suppose I'll now have to go find links, but I've read several stories over the years where kids were diagnosed with it, only to discover, the kid actually had something worse...but it was missed because a lazy doctor just passed it off as ADHD.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think it's real, but I think far too many are wrongly diagnosed as such. I suppose I'll now have to go find links, but I've read several stories over the years where kids were diagnosed with it, only to discover, the kid actually had something worse...but it was missed because a lazy doctor just passed it off as ADHD.
Well some kids grow out of it.
I have ADD, it is struggle .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies