Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
There are a hundred websites that explain in detail the fracking process and a hundred more showing how dangerous it is and the effects it can have on humans and the environment. The simple process itself should raise a red flag and make you think how injecting chemicals into the ground, even if it is below the aquifers as some of you say, is a good thing? I am not trying to disprove your evidence but the rest of us also have evidence as well to prove otherwise. If you don't like the evidence provided then that is on you. Trying to make a point on this topic is like talking to a wall for both sides. In a few years there will be cases similar to the case with Erin Brockovich and there will still be people saying its safe. In the end I don't think saving a few dollars is worth the cost of our environment.
Do you have any idea how much state and federal regulation is involved in the fracking process?

And by the way, fracking has been around since the 1940s. It's not a new process at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
The problem with fracking is that someday the sewerage being pumped into the ground will show up in someones water. Duke is having to supply water to homes around its Buck plant because the water is no longer safe to drink (coal ash ponds). These wells show high levels of Chems.

How long till the fracking chems show up in the water supply near you.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
So for all of the advocates out there...I assume you would have absolutely no problem if they began fracking in your neighborhood?

Kathryn, I know it has been around for awhile and I am sure there is tons of state and federal regulation in the process but that doesn't mean its 100% safe. The govt picks and chooses what they want to apply certain safety measures on. Also, just because there are a lot of regulations doesnt mean all of these companies are adhering to them 100% of the time.

Lots of room for error.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
The simple process itself should raise a red flag and make you think how injecting chemicals into the ground, even if it is below the aquifers as some of you say, is a good thing?
This is not something that is debatable. The water table may be hundreds of feet down. The shale is thousands of feet below that. There is multiple layers of well casing and cement before it goes through the water table at which point it turns into one well casing. These are substantial underground structures.

Quote:
If you don't like the evidence provided then that is on you.
Specifically what evidence have you provided?

Quote:
In the end I don't think saving a few dollars is worth the cost of our environment.
This is not a few dollars we are talking about. Energy is the foundation of any modern society and if you don't have a cheap and dependable supply kiss your society goodbye.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Kathryn, I know it has been around for awhile and I am sure there is tons of state and federal regulation in the process but that doesn't mean its 100% safe.
Nothing we do is ever going to be 100% safe or 100% environmentally friendly. The question is do you want to make coffee in the morning and everything else you do throughout the day for a reasonable price or are you going to give up those things? The need for fossil fuels is not going away anytime soon if you expect to do those things.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The problem with fracking is that someday the sewerage being pumped into the ground will show up in someones water. Duke is having to supply water to homes around its Buck plant because the water is no longer safe to drink (coal ash ponds). These wells show high levels of Chems.

How long till the fracking chems show up in the water supply near you.
Well, east Texas has been full of fracking for over 50 years and so far so good.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
So for all of the advocates out there...I assume you would have absolutely no problem if they began fracking in your neighborhood?

Kathryn, I know it has been around for awhile and I am sure there is tons of state and federal regulation in the process but that doesn't mean its 100% safe. The govt picks and chooses what they want to apply certain safety measures on. Also, just because there are a lot of regulations doesnt mean all of these companies are adhering to them 100% of the time.

Lots of room for error.
With our population, the US needs a variety of energy sources. Most of those energy sources have some risk associated with production. So far, there are no viable energy sources for the masses that can guarantee 100 percent safety. Nor can any company providing energy claim a 100 percent compliance rate.

For the record, I don't think fracking should ever been done in a residential area - not because of the risks, but because of the industrial presence which lowers property values.

And finally - when anti-fracking, anti-fossil fuel activists or enthusiasts start pontificating, I like to ask them when they are going to give up the following conveniences:

http://www-tc.pbs.org/independentlen.../petroleum.pdf

Come on - put your money where your mouth is!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM

I am not an activist by any means, and I understand that we need a variety of energy sources but I don't think pumping chemicals into the ground is the right answer. I just think that the environment should be priority, I mean without it we wouldn't exist.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,629 times
Quote:
Absolutely zero problems with it. Would really appreciate the royalty checks and I know that actual facts show that fracking is harmless.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Absolutely zero problems with it. Would really appreciate the royalty checks and I know that actual facts show that fracking is harmless.

Appreciate your honesty... however I know that actual facts show that fracking is harmful. Not trying to butt heads but we have to agree to disagree. As long as it stays out of my neck of the woods I will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies