Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,085,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The US took PR against their will and restructured their economy in a way that made it exceedingly difficult for Puerto Rico to function as an independent entity. It's your fault they're a burden to you.

The US has an illustrious history of invading countries willy-nilly and then cutting them loose when things get costly, and then they have the nerve to be upset when people from these countries turn into millitants and terrorists.

Why should they be forced to learn English? Puerto Rico doesn't border ANY English speaking territories, and of those Puerto Ricans who decided to move to the states, most of them can speak English once they get to the mainland. Furthermore, they never asked to be part of the US anyway.
But they do now ... 95% of them anyhow. And many of them move to the mainland where they are stuck working the french fry machine at McDonald's because they can't speak English.

Now, I am NOT advocating replacing Spanish. I am advocating for a completely bilingual Puerto Rico. Study after study has proven that Puerto Ricans who cannot speak English are poorer and less well off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:13 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,087,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Though 95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, according to the rules a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico would be considered “unskilled,” the OIG said.

you cannot say that it "was not the deciding factor", because not only in P.R. but also
in the States and other territories if they don't speak or write English well, it HELPS
them get SSDI. The other requirements are not very difficult, and the truth is that
without looking at every case you can't make the case that it's not enough on its own,
because they do not say it is not enough. I'm sure you're aware that it leads to abuse
intentionally - we're talking about a serious issue - lifetime payments. Enough to live on,
especially if it is augmented by other programs.
How you managed to twist this all around is beyond me. Speaking Spanish isn't the reason they are poor, especially in Pietro Rico.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,120,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Puerto Rico is a whole nation of poor white people that should be left to fend for themselves. We shouldn't have the obligation to care for anybody else but Americans.

The independence movement is mostly people in the United States hollering about nothing. Every time they have ever voted in Puerto Rico, not 5% of them vote for independence. Why? Because they know they benefit from their parasitic relationship with the U.S. They don't want to be just another poor carribean nation.
Puerto Ricans are Americans.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Though 95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, according to the rules a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico would be considered “unskilled,” the OIG said.

you cannot say that it "was not the deciding factor", because not only in P.R. but also
in the States and other territories if they don't speak or write English well, it HELPS
them get SSDI. The other requirements are not very difficult, and the truth is that
without looking at every case you can't make the case that it's not enough on its own,
because they do not say it is not enough. I'm sure you're aware that it leads to abuse
intentionally - we're talking about a serious issue - lifetime payments. Enough to live on,
especially if it is augmented by other programs.
SDDI has "blossomed" by over 250% in the course of 10 years.

Is America really that sick ?

More have gone on SSDI then entered the job market in that time span.

And the fund will be broke next year..there's no more money left.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I'm sorry, but Puerto Rico needs to be let go.

...they should be granted their independence whether they like it or not. No more federal funding to Puerto Rico.
And when 90% of the population flees to the United States and causes a humanitarian crisis? How much will that cost us? What about the geopolitical troubles this would cause? Do you know how weak this would make us look to our enemies?

A Puerto Rico under US sovereignty is expensive ... an independent Puerto Rico would be even more expensive, and I don't just mean in terms of dollars and cents.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The US took PR against their will and restructured their economy in a way that made it exceedingly difficult for Puerto Rico to function as an independent entity. It's your fault they're a burden to you.

The US has an illustrious history of invading countries willy-nilly and then cutting them loose when things get costly, and then they have the nerve to be upset when people from these countries turn into millitants and terrorists.

Why should they be forced to learn English? Puerto Rico doesn't border ANY English speaking territories, and of those Puerto Ricans who decided to move to the states, most of them can speak English once they get to the mainland. Furthermore, they never asked to be part of the US anyway.
If they aren't forced to learn English then why are we accommodating them monitarily here in the U.S. for not dong so? Are Puerto Ricans too dumb to learn English? I doubt it. Since they are U.S. citizens and this country's de facto national language is English then they should learn it or not be compensated for not doing so. They can speak all the Espanol they want but we shouldn't be compensating them for not learning English also. IMO.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are Puerto Ricans too dumb to learn English? I doubt it. Since they are U.S. citizens and this country's de facto national language is English then they should learn it or not be compensated for not doing so. They can speak all the Espanol they want but we shouldn't be compensating them for not learning English also. IMO.
Son of a beeep ... we finally agree on something!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
If they aren't forced to learn English then why are we accommodating them monitarily here in the U.S. for not dong so? Are Puerto Ricans too dumb to learn English? I doubt it. Since they are U.S. citizens and this country's de facto national language is English then they should learn it or not be compensated for not doing so. They can speak all the Espanol they want but we shouldn't be compensating them for not learning English also. IMO.
What is worse is that we have naturalized citizens claiming not to be able to speak English to these judges at their hearings.

And yet they had to speak English to become naturalized citizens.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't know any Puerto Ricans or ever been to Puerto Rico. I'm not surprised the least bit. More than half of the people in Puerto Rico under the age of 50 is at least functional in English. It's a complete myth that Puerto Rico is as Spanish speaking like Cuba or the Dominican Republic. It is not, and hasn't been for about two generations. The only people that are guaranteed to not speak a single word of English in PR are the WWII and Korean War generation.

And as I said before, you have a problem with Puerto Ricans not speaking English to our standard, go and say something to the veterans that have bled on the US flag in World War I, II, Korea, and Vietnam. Yes, Oldglory, we were beside you lily white Americans in EVERY SINGLE WAR the US participated in since World War I, including members of my family. We've far more than earned our right to speak our language and keep our culture. Oh, and, you're welcome

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
S "

In addition, most Puerto Ricans can and do speak English even though Spanish is the official language. There is a higher percentage of Puerto Ricans who have served our country in the military than any state in the nation.
So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies