Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

he might want to get Rev Wright and stand in front of a mirror. Never heard anyone so hateful in my life claiming to be a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
he might want to get Rev Wright and stand in front of a mirror. Never heard anyone so hateful in my life claiming to be a Christian.
Then you are not paying attention to rfra supporters and the far right nutters.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is what you are upset about? This is the basis of many a Sunday morning sermon across America. Clergymen are always admonishing and guiding their congregations to be better Christians.

“On Easter, I do reflect on the fact that as a Christian, I am supposed to love,” Mr. Obama said. “And I have to say that sometimes when I listen to less-than-loving expressions by Christians, I get concerned.
But that’s a topic for another day.”

Obama wasn't supposed to be lecturing, and those in the audience aren't His congregation. Even he knew he was heading in the wrong direction for That gathering on That day.

He just can't himself. When he has a chance to criticize those Christians who disagree with him, he's can't resist putting them down.

When it comes to other religions, tippy-toe around the subject.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Obama never disappoints the Left and his Muslim base when given a podium. Speaking to a group of the faithful during the Easter prayer breakfast at the White House, Obumma couldn't resist deviating from his notes and insulted the audience as they sat in the East Room.
You have to wonder how anyone could continue to support this clown.

Obama criticizes 'less-than-loving' Christians - Washington Times
Have you actually listened to the speech? It sounds like he received a a lot of affirmation from the attendees, including numerous audible responses of "well" and at least one "preach". Those are statements of concurrence. Was any attendee offended?

As a Christian, I was not offended and I too am often surprised by the actions of my fellow Christians.

President Obama Remarks 2015 Easter Prayer | Video | C-SPAN.org

Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Obama never disappoints the Left and his Muslim base when given a podium. Speaking to a group of the faithful during the Easter prayer breakfast at the White House, Obumma couldn't resist deviating from his notes and insulted the audience as they sat in the East Room.
You have to wonder how anyone could continue to support this clown.

Obama criticizes 'less-than-loving' Christians - Washington Times
As long as they are not Muslim or Thugs he will not defend you. But be a muslim or a thug robbing cigars he has got your back

Old 04-08-2015, 12:28 PM

259 posts, read 178,849 times
So you ditch all the sanctimonious lectures on victimhood mentality when you're feelings get hurt, huh? Have none of you ever thought about not dishing out what you can't take? Or did your emotional maturation halt at 1st grade?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
People who are saying this is anti-Christian: are you stupid?

Did Jesus not say to love everybody? Then by not being a loving Christian (which is who Obama was speaking about), do you not deserve to be called out on that? Many would say you don't deserve to be called Christians.

Obama's made a nice list of silly religious remarks that should be dismissed as unimportant: not this one. He made a good point here. There are plenty of Christians who do not 'love their neighbor as themselves.' I'd say most do most of the time, but there are enough that don't that it should be asked about. If you care about the Christian faith, you would ask these kind of questions more but unfortunately, those who take their faith the most seriously tend to use group thinking tactics rather than individual introspective thought.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Have you actually listened to the speech? It sounds like he received a a lot of affirmation from the attendees, including numerous audible responses of "well" and at least one "preach". Those are statements of concurrence. Was any attendee offended?

As a Christian, I was not offended and I too am often surprised by the actions of my fellow Christians.

President Obama Remarks 2015 Easter Prayer | Video | C-SPAN.org
Thanks for posting the actual speech. It was a good one (because there was no politics in it), and no, the religious leaders were not the least bit offended.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-08-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Somehow it’s okay to speak about Christians disappointing him, because they don’t always act with love", and he had to go ALL they way back to ht e CRUSADES for his example.
We only need go back to the 'troubles' in Ireland, eh?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for posting the actual speech. It was a good one (because there was no politics in it), and no, the religious leaders were not the least bit offended.
Of course they weren't, they were hand picked by Obama and his administration.

I think it was blown out of proportion, and wasn't really news worthy, especially since he stopped himself short of really saying anything controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies