Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 03:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,899,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If this country was serious about actually giving reparations to the Black community, they should still do it. We give foreign aid to countries around the world on US tax dollars. The least America could do is address the 400 year old elephant that has long existed in this country.
Reparations to whom specifically? spell out the guidelines for us.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,977,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sorry, can't get myself to agree with this one. Not because I believe that the way the Black community was treated in the past was right, but simply because of the economics of it. Remember, the Black community wasn't the only group that was oppressed. There were also Chinese, Irish, Jewish, American Indian, and numerous other cultures which were treated hellaciously by white society. Why should the Black community get reparations while the rest of those cultures get nothing? The entire reparations argument is hogwash in my opinion. Once we go down that road, we have the potential of opening up an entire Pandora's Box of subcultures wanting reparations for things that happened more than a century ago.
Jews and Japanese Americans received reparations for their oppression. There's no reason why reparation can't be paid to Blacks given their long history of oppression and suffering in this country.

Quote:
Btw, I say this as someone who is of American Indian descent and still has relatives living on reservations. The other half of my family is from Europe (France, Norway, and England to be exact), but arrived on American shores a quarter of a century after slavery had been abolished and had to deal with their own issues of discrimination. Not all white people living in America today are descended from slave owners or Jim Crow era racists, and not all black people living in America today are descended from slaves or Jim Crow era victims. Reparations at this point would involve taking money away from people who had absolutely nothing to do with what you are wanting reparations for and giving it to people who had absolutely nothing to do with what you are wanting reparations for.
I hope your aware that the Atlantic Slave trade didn't just occur in the United States.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Reparations to whom specifically? spell out the guidelines for us.
Go back and read what I wrote on the previous pages.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Jews and Japanese Americans received reparations for their oppression. There's no reason why reparation can't be paid to Blacks given their long history of oppression and suffering in this country.

I hope your aware that the Atlantic Slave trade didn't just occur in the United States.
Guide us through the logistics willy. This aught to be good

Old 04-14-2015, 03:39 PM

18,434 posts, read 7,068,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
You'll just spend it all at the bar.
Lol, when I was a younger man, you may have had a point. But with age comes wisdom and now, I'd probaby blow it at the Harley dealer instead.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I didn't say anything about black privilege. I said it is privilege. My point is privilege comes on a case by case basis, you do not inherit it from your skin color. Racial politics denies that by saying your race makes you either the oppressor or the oppressed, when in fact it does nothing of the sort. There are millions of whites who do not benefit from white privilege and millions of blacks who do not suffer from it, on account of their unique experiences.
You don't understand White privilege. I can only give you so many examples and definitions but I will say that it's very hard for people who've had racial privilege their whole lives to truly understand it because they see it as just the norm. You can have an oppressed group without a beneficiary group that has privileged from it.

White Supremacy was created out of collectivism and grouping people, so to try and act like that doesn't matter would be do deny American history. Blacks where collectively oppressed throughout American history while Whites collectively oppressed Blacks and where the beneficiaries of an oppress American system. So stop trying to act like everything is only about individualism when it comes to racism because it's not!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM

428 posts, read 343,754 times
Quote:
You don't understand White privilege. I can only give you so many examples and definitions but I will say that it's very hard for people who've had racial privilege their whole lives to truly understand it because they see it as just the norm. You can have an oppressed group without a beneficiary group that has privileged from it.

White Supremacy was created out of collectivism and grouping people, so to try and act like that doesn't matter would be do deny American history. Blacks where collectively oppressed throughout American history while Whites collectively oppressed Blacks and where the beneficiaries of an oppress American system. So stop trying to act like everything is only about individualism when it comes to racism because it's not!
OK, so pretty much your program for the advancement of dark skinned people of African heritage is based on either a check or a series of checks.

I'll bite...

. How much money are we talking about? Some Japanese got $20K apiece, a few Latin American Japanese (!!! Shades of Zimmerman) got $5k
. Who gets the money? Some sort of genetic testing? Do you have to show slavery ancestry? Maybe some sort of sliding scale?
. Should this be in the US only? Brazil turned off slavery in 1888 (they may have had a larger trade also...I'm not sure).
. Can we get our money back from the Arabs and other sellers in Africa?
. If the money was in the form of a single check, what do you think would happen to it?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:

No whites did not collectively oppress blacks, some whites oppressed some blacks. That oppression is a collection of individual choices (of various degrees) made by specific people and only those people are responsible for the oppression.
You do not understand the injustice of reducing people to a member of a group and discounting their individual situation. I'm waiting to hear your logistics and guidelines of distributing reparations.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:05 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,837 times
Quote:

The standby counter-argument to criticism of "white privilege". "you dont understand".

Lets see if I grasp what you are saying.

Some people did some bad things a long time ago and some people still do some bad things today...so everyone who shares a skin color with that person or group benefits from what those other people did....

I think I nailed it pretty good and you continue to ignore the criticisms of your broken concept and instead replace them with made up reasons why people just dont get it....that's like three so far....they are either unconformable, its physiologically tough for them to acknowledge or they do not understand the basic premise.

Its obvious you will not address the logic and reasoning behind concept and continue to assert these straw-man arguments on why people refute it vehemently. Its like you have a study that says something and you believe the results with out ever looking at the methodology.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
. How much money are we talking about? Some Japanese got $20K apiece, a few Latin American Japanese (!!! Shades of Zimmerman) got $5k
I hate putting a specific price on reparations but at the collective level it should be Trillions of dollars paid to the Black community

Individually: Somewhere between 50k-100k a person.

Quote:
. Who gets the money? Some sort of genetic testing? Do you have to show slavery ancestry? Maybe some sort of sliding scale?
-Anyone Black/African American(including North Africans)
-Yes, for those who are unsure about their African ancestry
-No slavery ancestry is necessary, as long as you are of African descent
-Partial compensation with those who have smaller amounts of African ancestry

Quote:
Should this be in the US only? Brazil turned off slavery in 1888 (they may have had a larger trade also...I'm not sure).

If the money was in the form of a single check, what do you think would happen to it?
Of course in a perfect world, all people of African descent around the world should get reparations paid for by Europe and other Westernized countries.

Quote:
Can we get our money back from the Arabs and other sellers in Africa?
No

Quote:
If the money was in the form of a single check, what do you think would happen to it?
You'll will be different forms of payment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies