Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

What does this have to do with "Current Events".

It's clearly a Great Debate.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Because Great Debates is run like a personal fiefdom and there is rarely genuine freedom of expression as there is here. Another benefit of this forum is generally rude people like in POC do not come here.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
In the United States, we have dealt with the consequences of racism and discrimination for so long, will there ever be an end?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's my answer.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People isn't a black supremacist group? If not, then why would you call the National Association for the Advancement of White People, which like most of the groups on your list, no longer exists, a white supremacist group? is it only OK to advocate for the advancement of blacks, but not whites? If the answer is yes, why?
No it's not a racist group. If you took the time to read more about Black culture, you'd know this to be true. Since when is "advancement" racism? You should also understand when this organization was founded and why. Just because you believe something doesn't mean it's true.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
More than Race its class. I ve never been treated badly here , being brown .
Except once when I went to a school( rich one) for a school tour and people looked at me like " What the hell you are doing here" .

Another example to quote, recently in Alabama a brown old man was attacked by cops after receiving a phone call saying " looks like he doesn't belong here" ..

And ErnieG, regarding India, its not only the caste system alone. Its just one of the many divisions that exist.
Yeah, well. We are speaking about racism. The caste system is typically not racist in India. It is more about social status (birth right/immediate) as a hierarchy. I don't see India as being "racist" so much as their division on long the lines of their caste system.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretBartley View Post
What do you mean by "racism"? For some people, it is a belief that people of another race are bad people, and should be hurt, limited, or avoided. For other people, racism is acknowledging that different cultures have different standards and mores. For others, racism is anything that does not give non-whites an advantage over whites.

In any event only one thing you provide above here is considered "racism." The term is thrown about too much and often it does not apply. I have highlighted in bold the only thing you got right on what racism is.

As long as we have different cultures, we will have different ideas about what is good and bad. There are different ideas about promptness. The Seattle School Board's official website said that rewarding promptness was racist. That didn't stay up very long, but there were / are officials who still think that is true. How about doing homework? Watching TV on school nights? Going to church. If you want to raise your kids that a certain lifestyle is good, it's inevitable that the message will come across that the opposite is bad. So how about different cultures that have different values? Is that racist?

^^^^What the heck is all of this and how does it fit into this discussion? Just wondering because you're rambling on profusely.

Do you want one homogenous culture - it will surely be controlled by corporations! Consume! Buy! Freedom comes from having five different colored smart phones to choose from and 40 different brands of sugary breakfast food to choose!

Before you can talk about racism, you have to define what racism is. You gave ONE RIGHT answer above! Spot on.

One of my friends is a professional affirmative action employee - she gets all her work by emphasizing that a particular group doesn't have any Asians, so they should hire her, and it often works! She came into my office while I was engaged in a particularly focused and heated discussion, and we both ignored her. She told me later that she felt ignored, and uncomfortable, and anything that makes her feel uncomfortable is racist, so we were being racist by not interrupting our discussion to deal with her!
Shameful.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Ending affirmative action and other race-based divisive programs would be a start.

Excellent point......programs such as these, while well intentioned, have the distinct by-product of producing more racist people ever day.....quite possibly out of people who were not racist before. All it takes is for you, or your kid to lose out on a college scholarship, college acceptance, job offer etc....to a minority person due to a "race based preference" or race based "affirmative action".....and how do you think you'd feel if you'd done everything right and by the book, worked very hard, and now you lose out to someone with less qualifications because of the extra "points" they get due to their race ?

That being said, I think younger people tend to be more accepting of all races and sexual orientations of people. That gives me hope.....but any programs that are solely race based set us all back. We'll never get rid of race issues while we continue to base any decisions on race.....well intentioned or not.

It's illogical to even think so isn't it ? How will we as a society ever forget our racial differences if someone around us is always reminding us of the fact that we're different and should be treated different due to our race.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What does this have to do with "Current Events".

It's clearly a Great Debate.
personally id rather it be here than in debates where you have to have nearly a masters degree to post anything.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:49 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
As I am sure someone has already posted, when an alien race invades Earth and enslaves us, maybe then. Maybe.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times
No.

I think there is something that is fundamental in human nature (ie. genetic) about forming groups for security, and being wary of things that are different.

HOWEVER, I think that the "groups" will change dramatically over time. As we become more integrated and connected via technology, the concept of race will change. Maybe discrimination will become more class or health based rather than race based. Or maybe people with earlobes shaped a certain way will be discriminated against more. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies