Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
But your heritage happens in a thousand small ways, I can't say that it's silly. If you harken back to the original founding of the country (implying mostly English roots), there are subtleties to holidays, things as simple as nursery rhymes (Mary Mary quite contrary), traditional music, books (Chaucer or Shakespeare), famous early historical figures. It isn't all some version of Highland games.
Obviously I didn't make myself clear.

When I say 'celebrate one's heritage' I don't mean taking part in it. I mean celebrating it's existence.

We all have our traditions and festivities and interests that derive from our culture. America is sort of a cesspool of random cultural mixes. To 'celebrate' these by means of being a part of them is absolutely fine. Listen and play and dance to the music your culture creates; envelop yourself in the arts produced by prominent crafters of your culture; celebrate your holidays and festivals. There are all absolute fine and part of the human experience.

What I'm referring to by celebrate is the celebration of the existence of the culture, and not the culture itself. It's demanding validation.

And don't get me wrong, not every example of this is bad. By a stretch of my definition of celebrate, the African Americans Civil Rights movement is a celebration of the black race. While I wouldn't call it that, I'll admit my definition is flawed and may inevitably require that to be a celebration, and in that situation it's fine. That's a call for justice. But not every celebration is. Black history month, for example, further perpetuates that 'us and them' mentality that damages race relations in this country. The reason: there is no black history. There's American history; Nigerian history; Kenyan history. But they aren't all one in the same.

Imagine a European history month. That's easier because most of use are better educated on European history than American history. We know of the magna carta, the French Revolution, the rise of Communism, the Holocaust, the creation of colony's. We understand these things, but it's all so diverse, that trying to unify it all into a month long celebration of it would be worthless. It doesn't make sense and it won't do European history justice. Same with black history month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,127,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Cultural heritage and race are not the same thing. White people do not necessarily all share a common culture. They are diverse, just as any other race.

To celebrate one's heritage, while still rather silly in my opinion, does not bring the same negativity that celebrating one's race does.

And understand: when I say celebrating one's heritage, I don't mean not taking part of it. If your heritage has certain traditions you want to carry out they may not be typical 'American,' do them and do them happily. By celebrate, I mean the public display of them. To form parades over the celebration of an entire race makes no sense to me. Aside from vague geographic location and skin tone, people of the same race may very well have nothing truly in common. It's the equivalent of celebrating having blue eyes. It's fine to be enjoy them, but be reasonable about the impact they truly have on your life.
In just about every country except America, because slavery robbed Black Americans of their culture. Now our shared experience influenced by race it the culture...

Old 04-18-2015, 09:28 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,945,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed even tho Hitler was NO blond.
He was no blond, but for some reason he was fascinated by blue-eyed blonds, and he wanted to preserve them.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
But your heritage happens in a thousand small ways, I can't say that it's silly. If you harken back to the original founding of the country (implying mostly English roots), there are subtleties to holidays, things as simple as nursery rhymes (Mary Mary quite contrary), traditional music, books (Chaucer or Shakespeare), famous early historical figures. It isn't all some version of Highland games.
Culture can be something as simple as waiting politely in line, or thinking that everyone that waits politely in line must be stupid, therefore it's best to opportunistically and rudely barge to the front. That is a cultural difference.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In just about every country except America, because slavery robbed Black Americans of their culture. Now our shared experience influenced by race it the culture...
What does colour of skin have to do with culture?

People choose to keep their culture. For example, when a child is born, a name is either traditionally chosen from an ancestor, or a new name is chosen (like Apple). Keeping traditions defines culture. What have Black Americans preserved of their ... culture? ... like culture from several generations earlier in Africa? Would those people in the US with dark skin rather still be in Africa, or is the idea that European settlers should have preserved African culture in the US?

Is there an absence of African culture in the US?

Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,374 times
White Americans have been slowly moving toward the Republican Party and some statistics show White Millennials perceive less racism than non-White Millennials. Europeans turning against diversity and immigration will surely influence White Americans.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 AM

468 posts, read 553,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
Good for Europe! Very proud of my European brothers and sisters for not taking the rape and invasion of their countries laying down. It will never happen in America. America will have to collapse completely before we shake off the yoke of stupidity that has brought us down. I watch European politics with awe. Its fascinating. If it scares Americans it means its a good thing for actual Europeans.
I like that Europeans are actually concerned for their future, have basic self respect not to pander to forces that hate and will destroy them, and have foresight to see consequences of what TPTB are pushing on them.

Even better many recognize the Zios are involved. It's too easy to get branded as a Nazi for speaking up so I think many are just doing their part quietly.

America is different from Europe. Europe is their racial homeland, America is not. Caucasians in general will continue to have these problems until leaders of their nations stop imperialism and exploitation, not to mention interfering with hostile groups for the sake of Israel and its nonsense.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,485,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaFromNH View Post
How dare a people wish to protect their ethnic makeup and restrict a flood of foreign peoples from coming in and straining their social services and skyrocketing their crime rate.
Damned straight! Like all of that silly European colonialism of Africa, Asia, and the Americas in the past. What were they thinking?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 AM

309 posts, read 257,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Damned straight! Like all of that silly European colonialism of Africa, Asia, and the Americas in the past. What were they thinking?
Sure, especially Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland each had a huge colonial empire

Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,163,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What does colour of skin have to do with culture?

People choose to keep their culture. For example, when a child is born, a name is either traditionally chosen from an ancestor, or a new name is chosen (like Apple). Keeping traditions defines culture. What have Black Americans preserved of their ... culture? ... like culture from several generations earlier in Africa? Would those people in the US with dark skin rather still be in Africa, or is the idea that European settlers should have preserved African culture in the US?

Is there an absence of African culture in the US?
African slaves were beaten and/or killed for conversing in their own languages, practicing cultures or religions etc. Families and groups of were purposely split if they spoke the same language. Christian Americans forced conversions on African Muslims, Orisha practitioners etc. More African cultural retention can be seen outside of the U.S. where the Europeans were less consistently vile and brutal.

Those European settlers should not have been so inhumane as to beat their cultures out of African peoples. So yes, they were in fact robbed, and there is an absences of African CULTURES in the U.S. considering Americans of African descent came from over 40 different ethnicities.

The color label was forced on them after their cultures were stripped. The U.S. still tries to force color labels on people of African origin. The government refuses to put country/ethnic breakdowns for people of African backgrounds like they do for Asians or Hispanics (largely non-African). Haven't you heard recent Africans say they had to learn to become "black" in the U.S? American culture pushes color labels for certain people, almost obsessively.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 04-19-2015 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies