Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Are you trying to say that the guy who got off with a slap on the wrist was not guilty?
Nope. I'm saying that one person was sentenced to ten years. One was sentenced to probation. There's more to this story than we're reading here. There's a reason for the disparity in sentencing, but I doubt it has anything to do with race.

The judge's lecture afterward is debatable, but I find it unlikely to have influenced his sentencing decisions. It makes no sense at all that the judge would sentence one convict harshly and the other leniently based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nope. I'm saying that one person was sentenced to ten years. One was sentenced to probation. There's more to this story than we're reading here. There's a reason for the disparity in sentencing, but I doubt it has anything to do with race.

Yeah because one guy already had a prior history of robberies and even then he got a shorter sentence then what the DA was looking for and what both of them pled guilty to. Eitherway both these guys broke into someone's home, pulled out guns, shoved them in people's faces and one of them ended up with a sweetheart of a deal because his family thought he was a good guy and he was a star football player in high school to go along with the judge being butt-hurt because he thought the victims were a bunch of racists.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
You have posted in other forums about the problem with tweekers in your area, and have been pretty broad brushed with negative statements about tweekers, and your concerns about break-ins and stealing your stuff, and the possible/potential danger they pose to you.

So if we change the quote slightly to "Tweekers invaded my home, therefore all tweekers are bad." which is a position you have proposed (in somewhat different words), then:

How are you any different than this family?
Would the judge be right "to call you on it?"

Or even more germaine to recent events:

"A cop shot my kid, therefore all cops are bad"

How are the Ferguson/other rioters any different than this family?
Are you pushing for the judge "to call them on it?"

I give wide lattitude to actual victims of a crime to hold all types of irrational fears/views, because the experience they went through wasn't a rational event, I do not give the general population the same pass.

For the record, if the perps were white, I do believe she (the girl in the article) would be irrationally afraid of white men, or if they were Hispanic, then Hispanic men, Asian, then Asian men.

It's a kid who went through an extremely traumatic event having internalized what is an irrational fear, not some Grand Wizard of the KKK attacking/doing violence to blacks simply for being black.
I think we have to see what is going on with a broad lens. People in power now apparently believe that 4 year olds are capable of rational judgments. We see the same thing with the ridiculous notion that a young child "knows that they are gay" when it is a biological fact that no person has any sexual attraction prior to the onset of puberty. We are witnessing a systematic breakdown of foundational truths with the purpose of fundamentally changing society, for the worse I fear. I used to wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall during a catastrophic structural failure such as a building implosion. Now I realize that I am in the midst of one.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:

The judge's lecture afterward is debatable, but I find it unlikely to have influenced his sentencing decisions. It makes no sense at all that the judge would sentence one convict harshly and the other leniently based on race.
The judge was practicing reverse racism to a non racist crime.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:

Well, I am in favor of judges being able to make independent decisions, and generally oppose mandatory sentencing laws. You are correct that there may be extenuating circumstances that explain the different sentences. I think it is relevant to note that the story only noted that the other guy had already been sentenced to prison. Do we know that he was sentenced by this same judge? Also, the judges attack on the victim impact statement seems just a bit too pointed. Why? I believe that these are valid questions that need to be answered.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The judge was practicing reverse racism to a non racist crime.
To one but not the other? Seems unlikely. Only he knows, and I don't think we can make that assessment without more information.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
To one but not the other? Seems unlikely. Only he knows, and I don't think we can make that assessment without more information.
I'm thinking that his obiter dictum consisted his sentencing.

He seems to have been "moved" by the victims account.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Well, I am in favor of judges being able to make independent decisions, and generally oppose mandatory sentencing laws. You are correct that there may be extenuating circumstances that explain the different sentences. I think it is relevant to note that the story only noted that the other guy had already been sentenced to prison. Do we know that he was sentenced by this same judge? Also, the judges attack on the victim impact statement seems just a bit too pointed. Why? I believe that these are valid questions that need to be answered.
Agreed. I just don't automatically draw conclusions based on half the story. The judge should explain his behavior post-sentencing, but that behavior is not necessarily related to the sentences themselves.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It is stupid as hell and the judge is right to call them out on it.

"Black man invaded my home, therefore all black men are bad."
Blame the 3 y/o victim of a violent crime, classy.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
If two White guys did a home invasion on a Black family, got caught and then the White Judge chewed out the victims at trial and set the White guy free this would have a decidedly different narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies