Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Here's my response.

When corrected for economic level, the rate of crime between blacks and whites is the same.

It isn't that BLACK people commit more crimes; its that POOR people commit more crimes, and (because of past and present rascism) black people are still disproportionately poor.
A good point. I'm inclined to agree with you, do you have any data corrected for income level? Would be interesting to see.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Here's my response.

When corrected for economic level, the rate of crime between blacks and whites is the same.

It isn't that BLACK people commit more crimes; its that POOR people commit more crimes, and (because of past and present rascism) black people are still disproportionately poor.
By that line of thinking: why aren't poor members of other racial/ethnic minorities committing a disproportionately high number of crimes?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Yeah... but that's pretty much the only person in the thread who has done so. Everyone else wants these punks to get what they have coming to them, even if it's a white poster.
Actually there are MULTIPLE posts in this thread by several people regarding how black people are mostly criminals and why that is justification for painting every person of color with the tar brush.

All racism is "making excuses", and there are a bunch of racists who routinely post their racist agendas (white against black) on these boards.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Here's my response.

Um, NO. It gets better, but it doesn't normalize with the general population.

When you compare rates @ per 100,000, you can compare whites, blacks, asians, and hispanics in the same socio-economic status, and the rates are still different (higher) between blacks and other races. The decending order of criminality by race in the US is asian, white, hispanic, and then black.

What you will also find is urban areas over 250,000 in population tend to have higher violent crime rates per 100,000 than lower population density areas, so urban populations may have a larger impact on violent behavior than economics, but your assertion is still false, even controlling for urbanization, as a group, blacks are over-represented in commiting violent crimes (and also over-represented as victims of violent crimes by other blacks).

Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
By that line of thinking: why aren't poor members of other racial/ethnic minorities committing a disproportionately high number of crimes?
They are. Especially among Hispanics. The rest of the "groups" we insist on sticking people into are generally too small to make much of a splash.

However, when corrected for economic level, all of this goes away. Crime rates are pretty constant across ethnic/racial groups, within economic groups.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

When you compare rates @ per 100,000, you can compare whites, blacks, asians, and hispanics in the same socio-economic status, and the rates are still different (higher) between blacks and other races. The decending order of criminality by race in the US is asian, white, hispanic, and then black.

What you will also find is urban areas over 250,000 in population tend to have higher violent crime rates per 100,000 than lower population density areas, so urban populations may have a larger impact on violent behavior than economics, but your assertion is still false, even controlling for urbanization, as a group, blacks are over-represented in commiting violent crimes (and also over-represented as victims of violent crimes by other blacks).
You are going to have to provide a citation, because no study I have seen shows anything of the sort.

Also, I don't think you meant to say what you have said - which is that Asians commit more crime than whites who commit more crimes that Hispanics who commit more crimes that black people.

That's what it would be if you listed those in "descending" order.

BTW, it is a long and well-known fact that crime increases as population density increases - and the poor are, again, disproportionately represented in high density neighborhoods. So - it still comes down to poverty.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Actually there are MULTIPLE posts in this thread by several people regarding how black people are mostly criminals and why that is justification for painting every person of color with the tar brush.

All racism is "making excuses", and there are a bunch of racists who routinely post their racist agendas (white against black) on these boards.
But that isn't what my post was talking about. There's only been one person who said that they didn't believe the story and that it was probably the fault of the owner and not the patrons.

If there are others, post them. Everyone else I see thinks the group of white guys were in the wrong.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
You are going to have to provide a citation, because no study I have seen shows anything of the sort.
You haven't posted one backing up your assertions either.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Here's my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

Quote:

Also, I don't think you meant to say what you have said - which is that Asians commit more crime than whites who commit more crimes that Hispanics who commit more crimes that black people.

That's what it would be if you listed those in "descending" order.

BTW, it is a long and well-known fact that crime increases as population density increases - and the poor are, again, disproportionately represented in high density neighborhoods. So - it still comes down to poverty.
You first. Ascending not decending good catch. Asians have the lowest crime rate as a grouping per 100,000. That was my error.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 04-15-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Here's my response.

I'd like to see data supporting that, because everything that I've seen/heard regarding this point leads to the opposite conclusion. It's not too difficult to understand why, especially when we start looking at violent crime in this US, specifically homicide. In the US, there are more poor whites than there are poor blacks/Latinos combined (that's because there are many more whites in the US than there are blacks/Latinos). Yet, blacks/Latinos commit over 80% of all homicides in the US every year (note, the FBI database interestingly breaks doesn't include "Hispanic" as a category for offender but does for victim. Still, state/city databases provide the breakdown that explains what I'm writing.) And, note, many Chinese American and other Asian communities in the US are poor, but the crime level is very, very low, especially compared to many predominately black/Latino neighborhoods. But, note, I don't that there's anything inherently racial about this. Rather, I point to a broad acceptance of a destructive culture by many within certain communities that lead to the results we're seeing now. After all, blacks (as a group) have always been poor in this country for obvious reasons. Yet, even during Jim Crow, where poverty in black neighborhoods was worse than anyone born after that period can imagine, the crime in black neighborhoods was not as out of control as it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies