Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
For the fellow "guns as art crowd" the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a stunning Arms and Armor collection with many historical pieces (all forms of weaponry and armor), some owned by kings.

I have a curio and relic FFL, which I highly recommend for anyone looking to get into collecting antique guns; you can buy them via mail and often save over auction houses or local shows.
Yes it is! My wife and I would go and look at the collection from time to time when we use to live in the NYC metro. Nothing like looking at artifacts and such for the suggested donation of a dollar a ticket.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Back on topic after I've helped it wander all over.

Sammy Davis also had one glass eye did he not?
yes i believe he did.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure he did...but that's not unique. Most people just keep pushing ahead. Suicide is the only other option.
Possibly he knew he had friends.........he was also a gourmet cook! Lucy thought when God was giving out talent, Sammy stood in line first....that is quite a compliment!
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...=frontier&tt=b

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...=frontier&tt=b

Old 04-15-2015, 07:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Back on topic after I've helped it wander all over.

Sammy Davis also had one glass eye did he not?
Yes. He was driving from Las Vegas* to L.A. and was in an automobile accident. He got out of the car and was walking around, dazed, when he saw someone look at him in horror and point to his eye. Sammy reached up.... and discovered his eye had come out of the socket. Early 1950's.

He was hospitalized and during that time began studying Judaism. He later converted.

I am quite confident that, were Sammy alive today, he would be more than a little sad that people were talking about his gun collection.... and not his charitable work (which was considerable) and the part he played in the struggle for black equality and civil rights.

*Where he stayed in black-owned rooming houses because, as a black man who lived under segregation, he could not rent a hotel room.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-15-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
The Colt 1911 and Browning 9MM early versions right on up to the later HyPowers are far more attractive weapons to me than all of the Glock, Tuarus, Kel Tec, Khar Arms etc., but being a realist and studying the performance of all of them reveal features that each one has that makes them a perfect choice for someone.

I'm a slave to history however and as a retired tool and die maker with some gun manufacturing background I cannot, when looking at these things, discount the role the older weapons have played in the shaping of the world.
I agree regarding the older handguns.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Allowed to be men?

That guy suffered more indignities than you can imagine. At every turn, folks attempted to emasculate him.

They ran his wife out of the industry, threatened his life over his romance with Kim Novak, removed him from the Kennedy's inaugural party (because of his marriage), and Sinatra was reduced to threatening hotels that he wouldn't perform if Sammy couldn't stay there with him and the rest of their crew.

But because he could buy a few guns, he was "allowed to be a man?"

Hilarious.
Very well said, desertdetoiter.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and yet he stood above it all and succeeded. and he did it at a time when black entertainers were being held down. it did help that he was a friend of frank sinatra and dean martin, i wish della reese and ella fitzgerald had such friends. he may have been small in stature, but he was big in heart and talent.
Don't know about Della but Ella Fitzgerald DID have those same friends. Sinatra backed her consistently. When she sought to buy a house in Beverly Hills and nobody would sell to her due to that community being segregated at the time, Sinatra stood behind her, and successfully used his influence so she could become Beverly Hills' first black homeowner.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. He was driving from Las Vegas* to L.A. and was in an automobile accident. He got out of the car and was walking around, dazed, when he saw someone look at him in horror and point to his eye. Sammy reached up.... and discovered his eye had come out of the socket. Early 1950's.

He was hospitalized and during that time began studying Judaism. He later converted.

I am quite confident that, were Sammy alive today, he would be more than a little sad that people were talking about his gun collection.... and not his charitable work (which was considerable) and the part he played in the struggle for black equality and civil rights.

*Where he stayed in black-owned rooming houses because, as a black man who lived under segregation, he could not rent a hotel room.
Until Sinatra told the Vegas hotels that he would not perform anywhere that his friends were not allowed to stay. Frank was a major force in desegregating Vegas.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He may also be a tad sad you're completely excluding the role guns played in black equality and civil rights.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Considering the fact that Theron's mother shot her father to death in front of Charlize's eyes as a child, it shouldn't be a surprise that Theron doesn't like guns.

From Wikipedia:

"On 21 June 1991, Theron's father, an alcoholic, physically attacked her mother and threatened both her mother and her while drunk; Theron's mother then shot and killed him. The shooting was legally adjudged to have been self-defence and her mother faced no charges."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies