Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I care about people with PTSD in the same way that I care about schizophrenics; however, I have no problem with them being taken out the second they endanger other people just like any other rational thinking person. It's called utilitarianism. It's the basis for what free societies determine is right and wrong.
I find it kind of sad. I don't know what you say in the war threads but we have people post in threads about Iran, Isis, Syria, Iraq, Kill them, kill them, kill them. Now perhaps, and I have no idea if it fits here but it does happen, someone comes back after doing their killing and has problems that we do little to nothing for them and then scream kill them, kill them, kill them, when something bad happens.

I figure most people that do that hide under their beds when it thunders.

Quote:
lol There is a parking lot full of cars that he flies into after being hit.

This means that people are in that area. Lets say they just continued to "negotiate" with him and someone was walking out to their car, or even worse several people come out of that building to see why there are sirens and lights.............bang bang bang

also, he already fired the rifle once. That's not a small caliber weapon. It was a 30-30, which has a maximum range of almost 3 miles.

Also, he could have open fired on the officers at any second as a form of suicide. This is actually pretty common, and he had a rifle that could easily hit any officer within 100 yards with basic shooting skills. Their vests would not stop the bullet either. Facing a crazy guy with a high powered rifle, is a much more serious situation than facing some gang banger with a pistol.

think about that for a second
If he had leveled the gun I wouldn't have said a word.

This is why IMO we have so many people actually killed by the mentally ill. So many would rather kill, kill, kill, than try and get help for people with problems. Help would likely be less expensive than a police car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is a guy in our area that was deemed incompetent to stand trial back in the 90's. He was arrested or cited 90 times since, they kept releasing him. He knew as long as the crimes were non violent they couldn't touch him, shoplifting etc. It finally caught up with last month, his girlfriend said he pulled a knife on her during a bad drug deal.
You can incarcerate the mentally ill. I have no idea how the law enforcement in your area has missed this.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I find it kind of sad. I don't know what you say in the war threads but we have people post in threads about Iran, Isis, Syria, Iraq, Kill them, kill them, kill them. Now perhaps, and I have no idea if it fits here but it does happen, someone comes back after doing their killing and has problems that we do little to nothing for them and then scream kill them, kill them, kill them, when something bad happens.

I figure most people that do that hide under their beds when it thunders.

This is why IMO we have so many people actually killed by the mentally ill. So many would rather kill, kill, kill, than try and get help for people with problems. Help would likely be less expensive than a police car.
A cop has to decide, very quickly, "how much of a threat does this guy pose?".....I would say that a person holding a gun, seemingly unstable, poses the greatest threat of all.
The cops actions are not only justified, but also heroic.
The perp is lucky he's not in the morgue.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
You can incarcerate the mentally ill. I have no idea how the law enforcement in your area has missed this.
Apparently not in this case because all of his crimes were non violent and petty things like retail theft, drugs, stealing money from cars etc. He wasn't considered a danger to the public, just a giant nuisance. He apprently knew the limits of what would put him in jail so he simply didn't commit those types of crimes.

Prosecutors seek to revoke bail for mentally incompetent robbery suspect - News - Citizens' Voice

Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
A cop has to decide, very quickly, "how much of a threat does this guy pose?".....I would say that a person holding a gun, seemingly unstable, poses the greatest threat of all.
The cops actions are not only justified, but also heroic.
The perp is lucky he's not in the morgue.
Holding a gun to his own head.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Apparently not in this case because all of his crimes were non violent and petty things like retail theft, drugs, stealing money from cars etc. He wasn't considered a danger to the public, just a giant nuisance. He apprently knew the limits of what would put him in jail so he simply didn't commit those types of crimes.

Prosecutors seek to revoke bail for mentally incompetent robbery suspect - News - Citizens' Voice
I feel bad for you to live in a place with such morons running your justice system.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
I feel bad for you to live in a place with such morons running your justice system.
And what do you expect them to do? They couldn't prsosecute becsue he's incompetent to stand trial, they can't commit him becsue he's not considered a danger to himself or others.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Holding a gun to his own head.
If he was crazy enough to shoot himself he is definately carzy enough to shoot someone else.

End result "Cop most likely saved his life".

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:

He already had pointed the gun at police as well as himself, before firing into the air, not sure what more you are looking for. They were well within their right to shoot him. In this case an officer takes an alternate action that results in no lost lives, including that of the perpetrator's. He was out of the hospital in two days. I'd say that fits into the "worked about as good as could be hoped for" category.

An officer ran over an armed suspect. Good for him

Quote:
The police chief and the Pima County Attorney's Office say he was, noting that the man, Mario Valencia, had pointed the gun at officers and himself, fired shots into the air and was walking toward a heavily populated area. Police say he'd already robbed a convenience store, broke into a church, invaded a home and stolen a car.

Police had no good options. They could follow him slowly, waiting to see what he did next — and face second guessing if it turned tragic. They could risk a shootout or set up a sniper, which would almost surely have left Valencia dead.

Or they could try an unorthodox method, as Rapiejko did. Valencia spent two days in the hospital and then went to jail. He's alive. No officers or civilians were injured. It would seem the incident turned out as well as could be expected.

Cameras make a difference. You can see what the officer did. You can see earlier images of Valencia pointing his gun at officers and himself, and reacting as they got closer. There can be no dispute about the sequence of events. It's another good argument for widespread deployment of body cams.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
And what do you expect them to do? They couldn't prsosecute becsue he's incompetent to stand trial, they can't commit him becsue he's not considered a danger to himself or others.
You can commit someone like this to a mental health facility. The only one that seems to find him not a danger is this judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies