Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:40 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times

Advertisements

Montana was declared for Democratic Senator Tester over incumbent Republican Conrad Burns earlier, and now Virginia has been officially declared for Democratic Senator Jim Webb over incumbent Republican George Allen. Not one incumbent Democratic Representative or Senator was unseated in the voting across the entire nation. Yet now all six key states that the Republicans were predicted to hold have gone Democratic. I'm a bit shocked to say the truth. I expected the Democrats to do well, but they've done what most thought was impossible...they've captured the House of Representatives by a huge overwhelming majority which gives them now the power to control the purse strings for the President's policies and budgets, and the power to launch Congressional investigations into any area of perceived corruption or misuse of power they see fit, and, there's not enough Republican presence in the House to prevent or stop them. The Senate controls the appointments for confirmations to the Supreme Court and different governmental departments. The Democrats have now taken 51 seats and have an "extra" in the person of Joe Lieberman who though now an Independent, has stated he will vote in effect in coalition with the Democrats. This gives the Democratic majority in the Senate actually 52. VP Cheney has been neutralized and will not be able to be the final arbiter as a tie-breaker. This election has been historic and the end result to me is frankly...stunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,201 times
Default And Rumsfeld is no more: Goodbye Iraq!

I am a conservative in most things, but one result of the election is to shock the ideologues and nation building dreamers in the White House into a sense of pragmatic realism. Expect to see some sort of exit strategy in Iraq. I do give the President some credit for the fact that we have not had another 9/11, but the idea that you can write constitutions for other countries is flawed. And the President has turned to Mr. Gates at the CIA, one of his Daddy's proteges. Not to mention Daddy's Secretary of State Jim Baker and his commission. It all spells, "Goodbye Iraq!"

Old 11-08-2006, 08:31 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Montana was declared for Democratic Senator Tester over incumbent Republican Conrad Burns earlier, and now Virginia has been officially declared for Democratic Senator Jim Webb over incumbent Republican George Allen. Not one incumbent Democratic Representative or Senator was unseated in the voting across the entire nation. Yet now all six key states that the Republicans were predicted to hold have gone Democratic. I'm a bit shocked to say the truth. I expected the Democrats to do well, but they've done what most thought was impossible...they've captured the House of Representatives by a huge overwhelming majority which gives them now the power to control the purse strings for the President's policies and budgets, and the power to launch Congressional investigations into any area of perceived corruption or misuse of power they see fit, and, there's not enough Republican presence in the House to prevent or stop them. The Senate controls the appointments for confirmations to the Supreme Court and different governmental departments. The Democrats have now taken 51 seats and have an "extra" in the person of Joe Lieberman who though now an Independent, has stated he will vote in effect in coalition with the Democrats. This gives the Democratic majority in the Senate actually 52. VP Cheney has been neutralized and will not be able to be the final arbiter as a tie-breaker. This election has been historic and the end result to me is frankly...stunning.
My champagne tastes very sweet tonight. It goes nicely with schadenfreude

However, your math is a bit off. It's actually 49-49-2, with the 2 independents expected to caucus with the Democrats, making it in reality 51-49. LIEberman COULD go across the aisle, making it 50-50, but I don't know if he's going to do too much of that.

This makes 1994 almost look weak in comparison. I'm not sure this country will ever see such a dramatic midterm election again.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Carolinabound?

n/a posts
Lieberman would be a fool if he sides with the party who thru him under the Prius.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
My champagne tastes very sweet tonight. It goes nicely with schadenfreude

However, your math is a bit off. It's actually 49-49-2, with the 2 independents expected to caucus with the Democrats, making it in reality 51-49. LIEberman COULD go across the aisle, making it 50-50, but I don't know if he's going to do too much of that.

This makes 1994 almost look weak in comparison. I'm not sure this country will ever see such a dramatic midterm election again.
oops! You're right! It is 49/49/2 Independents who say they'll caucus with the Democrats. Hmmm, I knew there was Lieberman, hadn't recalled an incumbent Independent. I see now why the Republicans so badly needed Virginia and how at 50 they could have depended on Cheney to prevail over the Democrats and independents. Now I understand also why the news guys were saying the Republicans will be offering Lieberman everthing under the sun! I guess what I'm having trouble now grasping is how Senatory Harry Reid of Nevada can become Majority Leader if his party is exactly the same number as the remaining Republicans? Do the Independents have to make a formal coalition with the Democrats for that to happen? Now I'm con-fuse- ed

Old 11-08-2006, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 92,690 times
Now it's time for a party. I'm so relieved! I was afraid to hope for anything this big but it's going to happen.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
oops! You're right! It is 49/49/2 Independents who say they'll caucus with the Democrats. Hmmm, I knew there was Lieberman, hadn't recalled an incumbent Independent. I see now why the Republicans so badly needed Virginia and how at 50 they could have depended on Cheney to prevail over the Democrats and independents. Now I understand also why the news guys were saying the Republicans will be offering Lieberman everthing under the sun! I guess what I'm having trouble now grasping is how Senatory Harry Reid of Nevada can become Majority Leader if his party is exactly the same number as the remaining Republicans? Do the Independents have to make a formal coalition with the Democrats for that to happen? Now I'm con-fuse- ed
Yeah, I'm not sure how they get the independents to align in order to determine minority vs. majority, but it is understood that the Democrats are the Senate majority party. I think that independents declare which party they will caucus with, and minority/majority is determined from that.

In a twisted way, the Connecticut race was powerful. Lieberman is arguably the most powerful man in Washington right now due to both parties wanting/needing him on their side, and Lamont did a great job by making it okay for Democrats to make Iraq the central issue of the midterm campaigns. He arguably laid the foundation for the Democratic wave.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how they get the independents to align in order to determine minority vs. majority, but it is understood that the Democrats are the Senate majority party. I think that independents declare which party they will caucus with, and minority/majority is determined from that.

In a twisted way, the Connecticut race was powerful. Lieberman is arguably the most powerful man in Washington right now due to both parties wanting/needing him on their side, and Lamont did a great job by making it okay for Democrats to make Iraq the central issue of the midterm campaigns. He arguably laid the foundation for the Democratic wave.
I agree about his position now in Washington. It's ironic really that he got beaten by Lamont in the CT Democratic Primary, then switched parties to Independent, and as an Independent got elected by beating Lamont for the Senate seat! Thanks for the correction, enlightenment, and information!

Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm having trouble now grasping is how Senatory Harry Reid of Nevada can become Majority Leader if his party is exactly the same number as the remaining Republicans? Do the Independents have to make a formal coalition with the Democrats for that to happen? Now I'm con-fuse- ed
Don't know, but they have both stated already they will caucus with the Dems...maybe that made the difference????

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Yep. That is correct.

While many are wary of Lieberman's loyalties, I think he was really shaken up by his defeat in the Democratic primary and see him as trying to win back support and acceptance from the Democratic party and therefore voting more in line with them in the future than he has in the past, sort of in an effort to prove himself as truly being "one of them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies