Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:40 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,665,437 times

Advertisements

It's all about control of other people's lives and property. Big Government advocates love control.
---------------------------
The Government has stepped up to a whole new level of deranged crazy by jailing an Oregon man for the heinous crime of – wait for it- collecting rainwater on his own property. ***GASP*** I don’t know why anyone would dare do something so egregious, but here you have it:

Gary Harrington, the Oregon man convicted of collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his rural property surrendered Wednesday morning to begin serving his 30-day, jail sentence in Medford, Ore.

“I’m sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country and stand for our liberty,” Harrington told a small crowd of people gathered outside of the Jackson County (Ore.) Jail.

Several people held signs that showed support for Harrington as he was taken inside the jail.

Harrington was found guilty two weeks ago of breaking a 1925 law for having, what state water managers called “three illegal reservoirs” on his property. He was convicted of nine misdemeanors, sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1500 for collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his property.

Read more at Man Goes To Jail Over Theft of Rainwater - On His Own Property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
We have very strict laws about collecting rainwater to prevent someone of doing damage to the environment or to their neighboring property owners. It wouldn't have been hard for him to follow the guidelines and go the legal route to collect rainwater on his property if he wanted to.

Though that website is full of annoying pop up ads. Here is an article from the Oregonian, this tells you what actually happened and why he was jailed and fined, something the OP's article seems to omit.....also, the OP's link also seems to omit the date, this is from July 2012....so someone is a little late to this story.....

Jackson County man sentenced for illegal water diversion, ordered to breach dams | OregonLive.com

Quote:
Jackson County man sentenced for illegal water diversion, ordered to breach dams

State Water Resources Department officials said Harrington has three dams across channels that cross his property outside of Medford and feed into Big Butte Creek. The creek is a tributary of the Rogue River.

Two of the dams stand about 10 feet high and the third is about 20 feet tall. Harrington stocked the reservoirs that formed behind the dams with trout and bluegill, built boat docks and used the ponds for fishing.

State officials estimated 40 acre-feet of water collected behind the dams, enough to fill nearly 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools. Officials are uncertain whether Harrington built the dams himself, ordered their construction, or if they were on the property when he bought it. At any rate, it is illegal to divert and store waters of the state without a permit.S

Old 04-17-2015, 02:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,680,097 times
Busted.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,807,579 times
Until recently it was illegal to collect rainwater in Colorado. That guy wasn't "collecting rainwater" he blocked creeks and built his own reservoirs. Nice spin OP.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,276,372 times
40 acre feet of rainwater. AND he was warned first. And the reason for Oregon doing this is to prevent people from damming up rivers etc and controlling the water.

This isnt "big government".

Old 04-17-2015, 03:52 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,857,578 times
"Big Butte Creek" LOL

( sorry, sometimes the inner five year old within me escapes, despite my best efforts to suppress him )

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-17-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 04:33 PM

30,195 posts, read 23,599,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
"Big Butte Creek" LOL

( sorry, sometimes the inner five year old within me escapes, despite my best efforts to suppress him )
We all do it, most people won't admit it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's all about control of other people's lives and property. Big Government advocates love control.
---------------------------
The Government has stepped up to a whole new level of deranged crazy by jailing an Oregon man for the heinous crime of – wait for it- collecting rainwater on his own property. ***GASP*** I don’t know why anyone would dare do something so egregious, but here you have it:

Gary Harrington, the Oregon man convicted of collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his rural property surrendered Wednesday morning to begin serving his 30-day, jail sentence in Medford, Ore.

“I’m sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country and stand for our liberty,” Harrington told a small crowd of people gathered outside of the Jackson County (Ore.) Jail.

Several people held signs that showed support for Harrington as he was taken inside the jail.

Harrington was found guilty two weeks ago of breaking a 1925 law for having, what state water managers called “three illegal reservoirs” on his property. He was convicted of nine misdemeanors, sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1500 for collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his property.

Read more at Man Goes To Jail Over Theft of Rainwater - On His Own Property
As far as this guy, the headline makes it out to be like he just put a few buckets in his yard to collect rainwater. That's a lot different than what he actually did.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/rainwater.asp

Quote:
A press release (issued on 29 July 2012 by the Oregon Water Resources Department and published by Eugene television station KVAL) was prefaced with the information that it was "legal to collect rainwater off of surfaces like roofs or tarps, (but) property owners need to obtain permits before altering or collecting flowing bodies of water." Harrington's case was described as one that was far in excess of an individual's simple collection of rainwater:
Harrington stored and used water illegally by placing dams across channels on his property and preventing the flow of water out of these artificial reservoirs without obtaining a water right permit. The height of each dam varies; two dams stand about ten feet tall and the third stands about 20 feet tall...

...Finally, the laws in question are not new laws aimed at criminalizing water collection in Oregon or elsewhere; rather, the law that Harrington was found to be in violation of was passed in 1925, and the cited case involving Harrington's large (illegal) reservoirs was decided in 2007.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,874,671 times
Oregon doesn't have the money or tax base for big government

Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,446,970 times
Oregon has always struck me as a very strange and weirdo'ish place. It's like a corrupt, left-wing, bizarre east-coast state....mistakenly stuck on the west coast.

Hi, I can't pump my own gas....... that's bizarro garbage that belongs on the trashy east-coast!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,665,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Until recently it was illegal to collect rainwater in Colorado. That guy wasn't "collecting rainwater" he blocked creeks and built his own reservoirs. Nice spin OP.
Your post is total lies. He was collecting rainwater that fell on HIS land.

Try reading the link again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies