Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is the beauty of the free market system. Free markets are wonderful and the best mechanism to improve the standard of living for everyone. Government should never control prices, wages or profits.
The free market will always find a way when we are messing with it. We can raise the minimum wage to whatever but in short time, it's right back to the minimum level. Don't you for a sec assuming when wage goes up, the price of goods wouldn't go up. If the price of the goods doesn't go up, you can bet the outsourcing, automation and layoff would be the reasons to keep the price the same.

What would happen to many minimum wage workers who would now be out of jobs? According to the liberal, they can just eat dirty as long as some of them, who are still employed, are paid a little higher.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 04-20-2015 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
but what is poverty?, its what the government tell you it is. so what is livable wage? Its what the government tell you it is. So what is minimum wage? it what the government tell you it is.

see a pattern here......... raise the minimum wages, get 100% of their votes so you can do anything you want and also double the income tax, tax money coming in.

poor people are not poor till the government tell you they are poor
I don't think I agree with what the government says is a livable wage is one. A livable wage is based on what you need to live in your area so rent, transportation, good, utilities, you know basic needs. If you can't afford that, you are really poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Uncle SAM already pays low wage workers the rest of the difference thru section 8, food stamps, etc. Unfortunately there are no more entry level manufacturing jobs left. And not everyone can be a doctor or a software engineer. Uncle Sam will simply pay out in benefits what BK or Walmart won't.

Besides, even if you suddenly raised MW to $15 an hour inflation will quickly catch up and the workers will be begging for 20 and 30 bucks an hour.
I think $15 an hour is only being called for in say a New York or even as the upper bound in a negotiation rather than a true hard ball offer. If you believe that they honestly do want $15 an hour in Walla Walla and Cucamonga, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have no problem paying some one based on their skill, competence , and performance......but the incompetent slugs that work at fast food....deserve even less....pay fast food...$4/hr.....that's all they are worth....cant even get a simple order correct. then they deserve less than they are currently making
Then the min. wage should be abolished, so they can get paid $4 an hour, or less.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i had to get a part for my truck yesterday, look up the part number gave it to the part house, who was the manager on duty, properly making 12 dollars a hour, with the part number he still got it wrong, so had to drive back up there, spend three dollar more in gas. so that an increase of six dollar over the price of the part (gas two trips). he was a manager, he had the correct part number and still could not complete the task correctly.

some people don't deserved $15 a hour. Some people don't deserve minimum wages. If you making minimum wages and using it has a livable wages, you are too stupid to be in the work force.
Ok so what do you do to people who are to stupid to be in the work force?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ok so what do you do to people who are to stupid to be in the work force?
First things first - sterilization. Spay and neuter.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
First things first - sterilization. Spay and neuter.
So we kill our fellow countrymen that aren't as smart or skilled as us? cool glad i know what kind of people i am dealing with here.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So we kill our fellow countrymen that aren't as smart or skilled as us? cool glad i know what kind of people i am dealing with here.
Now, no one said anything about killing them. Just prevent them from breeding more of the same. Like feral cats or stray dogs. Do you even know what spay and neuter means?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM

577 posts, read 900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Half of all low-income renters pay at least half of their income for shelter, Section 8 recipients pay 30 percent.

Childless adults working full time at minimum wage do not qualify for food stamps or for EITC, and rarely get Section 8.
That's the thing though, it's not childless adults who are working these jobs but increasingly heads of households with children and other extended family. Those people likely do qualify for SNAP, medicaid (or exchange subsidies) and housing assistance of some kind. So if you increase to 15/hr this could make them lose the benefits and be an effective "salary" decrease.

And as has been mentioned the economy will quickly catch up, and/or the low skilled workers will be pushed out by higher skilled workers now willing to work these jobs because of the better pay, which still leaves you with a large segment of society that cannot support itself.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Paying someone 15 dollars an hour to flip a burger or bag groceries is just plain stupid. How is that going to encourage people working those type of jobs to develop/train skills for better jobs?
Since when did $15/hr become a good pay for a job that requires trained skills? Maybe that is the problem in this country when people think $15/hr is a good paying job in today's world.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
Of course businesses fail for more than just wages. The topic at hand, however, is pertaining to wages.

In the posts on gym and book store examples, the small business was operating successfully and in no risk of closing until the government mandated that they pay their employees more than double what they were currently paying them. On any scale from small business to large corporation, if your budget for employee compensation DOUBLES overnight, you are going to have some issues. Either increasing costs, reducing hours, laying people off, or closing business.
Wait, when was anyone talking about wages doubling overnight? I wasn't, so I don't know where you get this idea that wages would double overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies