Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Jesus never got upset and NEVER ever snapped his fingers.

A snap of a whip makes me think of B&D - and that's not Bible and Disciples.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I was listening to an older African American gentlemen speak recently, and he was talking about the crack of the whip, and how West Europeans love the sound because to them it's like Jesus gently snapping his fingers.

I began to think of how well most movies about slavery sell, and who I normally see attending said movies in the theater. Is there any truth to what the aforementioned older African American man said?
Might want to see someone about your thoughts is my advice; OP.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
I was listening to an older African American gentlemen speak recently, and he was talking about the crack of the whip, and how West Europeans love the sound because to them it's like Jesus gently snapping his fingers. I began to think of how well most movies about slavery sell, and who I normally see attending said movies in the theater. Is there any truth to what the aforementioned older African American man said?

Can't say that I've ever seen such a movie. But then again, my ancestors come from Northern Europe.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Sorry your tribal attitude won't work here... people who like slave movies will watch slave movies... slavery is a interesting topic to many people because it is a big / unfortunate part of our history.... the reason why you see so many "west european descent" people in these theaters is just simply because they make up the majority of the population in this country.... that's it... there is no race thing here, sorry.
Yes and no... Whenever I go and see a Kevin Hart movie, the majority in the theater aren't of West European descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No. He's just a racist a-hole.
He's not a racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
It's a nice turn of phrase, though.

Maybe the interest in slavery movies set during modern times, aside from the audience that has a special kink for this kind of thing, is the anachronistic feel of it.

Up until the 19th C., slavery had been the norm practically everywhere. No one would think twice about it. During the 1800's you have relatively modern inventions (telegraphs, photography, trains) but also this distinctly Roman-era kind of social institution.
Whatever lets you sleep at night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
What a strange post. The ONLY people who flock to slavery movies are black. Guess they like to hide their failures TODAY behind the sound of a cracking whip 150 years ago.
Where do you live? The majority of people that I see in the theater, front row, are people of West European descent. The only people I hear talking about African Americans blaming slavery for anything is European Americans. Seriously, when is the last time you heard an African American blame slavery for anything that's going on his is life now? Though America's past does give people of West European descent an advantage in America, it's not the reason for anyone's personal failures today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I was listening to an older African American gentlemen speak recently, and he was talking about the crack of the whip, and how West Europeans love the sound because to them it's like Jesus gently snapping his fingers.

I began to think of how well most movies about slavery sell, and who I normally see attending said movies in the theater. Is there any truth to what the aforementioned older African American man said?

Maybe in his mind it does. Everyone likes to manufacture their own reality these days. What REALLY seems to sell these days is anti-white/anti-European rhetoric.....
There's no "rhetoric" about it. Simply exposing a people for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I suspect that most sex in historical times would be tantamount to rape measured in modern attitudes.
Yep, did you see Tristan and Isolde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Might want to see someone about your thoughts is my advice; OP.
See who?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

A snap of a whip makes me think of B&D - and that's not Bible and Disciples.
Jesus actually angrily whipped the money changers in His Father's temple.

Which also means that whips were used 2000 years ago too, and probably on slaves, so it's nothing new, and the ones in Judea weren't West Africans.

And if people of West African origin don't want to be used in slavery, then their tribesmen shouldn't sell them into it.

Last edited by mm4; 04-18-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

"people of West European descent...."

"older African American man..."

It's so absurd it's almost comical. Just say "white" and "black" for crying out loud.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"people of West European descent...."

"older African American man..."

It's so absurd it's almost comical. Just say "white" and "black" for crying out loud.
Don't know about "black," but in Seattle government you're no longer allowed to say that an unbleached bag is brown:

_"Political correctness: ‘Brown bag,’ ‘citizens’ are out at City Hall"_

"Public affairs officers at Seattle city agencies were advised in a recent memo that use of the phrases “brown bag” and “citizens” are potentially offensive, and that the words must be chosen.

"“Luckily, we’ve got options,” Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in a missive entitled “On ‘brown bags, ‘citizens’ and language”."

Political correctness: ‘Brown bag,’ ‘citizens’ are out at City Hall - Strange Bedfellows — Politics News

Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Jesus actually angrily whipped the money changers in His Father's temple.

Which also means that whips were used 2000 years ago too, and probably on slaves, so it's nothing new, and the ones in Judea weren't West Africans.

And if they don't want West Africans used in slavery, then their community members shouldn't sell them into it.
The bible never said he whipped them...

Old 04-18-2015, 03:33 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Did the scripture record every second of his life? How do we know this exactly?

Mick

Old 04-18-2015, 03:33 PM
mm4

Quote:
The bible never said he whipped them...
"So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables."

-John 2:15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies