Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times

Advertisements

If Roe v. Wade is any indication, Court rulings don't always stop the opposition. I'm not sure that anything from the Court would change Republican strategy at this point. This issue won't just go away for the base. I don't see the eventual ruling having much effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Baloney! 20 years ago gay marriage would have had no chance in the Supreme court. The court will find bans unconstitutional today precisely because public sentiment has changed. There is example after example of the same phenomenon.
You're quite right, but that speaks more to the human flaw in how the system works than anything else. In theory, public opinion should have no effect in determining if something is Constitutional or not. In practice, it has a lot to do with it. As Abraham Lincoln said:
Public sentiment is everything.
With public sentiment nothing can fail;
without it nothing can succeed.

In theory, if the court rules that bans on gay marriage are Unconstitutional in the present day, then they've always been unconstitutional. If they rule that the bans are Constitutional, then they will remain so, in the absence of an amendment. Unfortunately, that's not always how it works, but that's how it's supposed to work. One of the very reasons for the Constitution in the first place was to protect the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority, a.k.a. "public opinion"

Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Now, back here in the real world, after the United States Supreme Court
strikes down all same-sex marriage bans nationwide - and they will - Republican
candidates will still have to oppose the ruling, then (late June or early July)
and on until and thru the primaries and the general election.
Quit being so short-sighted. I'm thinking long term. I'm thinking the next 10-15 years, not just the next two. As even more and more REPUBLICANS support gay marriage, and as religion and the affinity for it continue to wane, AND as the older Conservatives to whom the Republican party must pander to on this issue continue to die off, this issue will settle itself eventually anyway. An affirmative ruling by the Supreme Court on the issue will only serve to hasten the process and ultimately benefit the Republican party.

IF Republican strategists are smart (which is a big if ) they will see the writing on the wall, and at least go silent on the issue sooner than they otherwise would have. They don't have to jump on board and support gay marriage all of a sudden, but they can silently begrudge it with the same effect. Given the astounding ignorance of the Republican party however, it wouldn't surprise me if your right, and they double down on it and call for a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage, which would turn my theory upside down.
Quote:
For example, they'll have to come out for a Constitutional amendment to ban
same-sex marriages, or at the very least to make it a decision for the states
(hint - such a Constitutional amendment would trump all other caselaw on the
issue, a fact of which I suspect you're oblivious)
I'm very much aware of that fact. I just think your a Democrat who's getting defensive because you understand I'm right about the realities and implications of this SCOTUS ruling.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-21-2015 at 01:58 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think this is what's wrong with your theory:

Christian Group Investigating Family and Staff of 2016 Candidates to Expose Gay Sympathizers

It doesn't become a non-issue just because SCOTUS rules on it. It won't be completely off the table. The Freedom of Religion laws cropping up are an effort to keep it on the table. And given the amount of attention that Indiana garnered this spring, the effort is definitely working.

That keeps the balance between the parties pretty much the same, not the seismic shift you are anticipating.
Anyone who considers themselves an intellectual ought to realize that gay marriage and religious freedom are two completely separate issues. You can support gay marriage and support these religious freedom acts at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive. That is my position as a matter of fact.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
If Roe v. Wade is any indication, Court rulings don't always stop the opposition. I'm not sure that anything from the Court would change Republican strategy at this point. This issue won't just go away for the base. I don't see the eventual ruling having much effect.
Good point. You could be right. As I said earlier, IF Republican strategists are smart, they'll change their strategy. I've been let down before though.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:54 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This is the lie.

A heterosexual cannot marry a member of the same sex in states that do not marry members of the same sex.

He or she can be as heterosexual as any individual can be, but they still can`t marry a member of their own sex.

Homosexuals, on the other hand, are free to marry any member of the opposite sex.

Marriage laws do not apply to individuals based on their sexual preference.

They apply to individuals based on their sex.
Yeah, that's some of the dumbest logic ever on the subject.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If you were a conservative you would support the Constitution.

You wouldn`t support the will of the people being overruled by a court with no Constitutional authority to do so.
If you were you would do the same thing. The sad fact is that you only support it if it props up your views on subjects.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Committees are formed by members of Congress. I guess if you are interested, you can look it up why it never made it out of committee....I would post a link, but you have stated you don't click on those.
Meaningless point that doesn't address anything that I've said.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Why use Roe v. Wade as the comparison? A much closer comparison is Loving v. Virginia.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It takes all sorts of low life scums to fight against the repeal of something, and then when forced to do it by the court, then try to take credit for what you just opposed..

That would be a Democrat..

A COURT ORDERED ITS REMOVAL..

9 days later, wow.. they had decades to remove it, and 9 days after a COURT ORDERED IT HAPPEN, then they supported it.

What I said isnt at all false, nor confusing, its a FACT.. You choose to ignore it, but then note my response to the first paragraph above.
Considering they began passage of the bill in May of that year I will accept that you have not a clue about this subject .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies